Multiplayer interaction, FTL Travel

What will people choose?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the information we have on multiplayer, you will chose :

• To explore space togheter with other people(peacefully).
    • To have PVP interactions.
    • To set up factions and teams, that could trade or fight other factions.
    • I have no idea.

As multiplayer will be a thing, a large number of people will be setting up roleplay and PVP-enabled servers, so, that presents them with a very interesting set of challanges.

The most important one is transportation. The best option i see is a mod that facilitates FTL travel, or some kind of kraken drive ( to reach ~C ). What do you think the community will prefer?

As for weapons, the stock parts can provide good (but limited) weapon capabilities. Some that come to mind are

• Mini-missiles
  • Engine plume accelerators
  • Reaction wheel cutters
  • Deorbit claw 
  • Colony irradiator 
  • Kraken drive interstellar missile
  • Weaponizable Kraken glitch creator
  • Kessler syndrome generator, mass debris cloud deployment
  • Concentrated directional debris cloud driven mission launch disruptor satellite station.
  • For ground defense, i think most efficient approach would be a missile with a fairing containing thousands of small struts, or cubes, that would be deployed in a cloud to destroy any incoming object, kind of like the distuptor satellite, but with a much higher debris density(this could also be deployed by a ship to protect itself). This only works if the part-breaking system remains similar to KSP-1.

Some cool mods that not only PVP, but all modded servers would benefit from:

• Energy shields (for ships and colonies)
  • Missile Shields
  • Detection satellites
  • Just disabling the ability for people to break other people's ships or Safezones.

So, what do you think combat will look like? Those weapon ideas are made on the spot. What can you come up with? What about defending against them?

How will large interstellar Warships work? Physics exploits? Mods that add in FTL drives?

Edited by AntINFINAIt

2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I doubt KSP 2 will have much in the way of Kdrives.

We will always find a way :)

Edit: well, i realize that the number of people working on it is far superior compared to KSP1. They might eliminate those glitches rather quickly. KSP 1 team also kind of let those bugs live, as they have become a part of the game (much rather like gravity drives another game).

Edited by AntINFINAIt

I don't see the point in taking the only game out there with realistic-i sh orbital mechanics and travel and turning it in yet another space-fantasy warfare game.

Same goes for weapons, it would just be like picking Portal, removing portals and puzzle and adding weapons to turn into a generic futuristic FPS, you're taking something unique and reducing it to a "more of the same".

And I'm not saying it as someone that opposes violence in videogames, my mostly played game these days is VTOL VR, Bahamuto's VR combat flight sim, the point is all about reducing something as unique as KSP to something very common.

2 hours ago, razark said:

Do we know this?  Have the devs released information on how multiplayer will be implemented?

I heard somewhere on YouTube that there won't be online servers hosted by the company. So, dedicated servers make sense.

5 hours ago, Master39 said:

I don't see the point in taking the only game out there with realistic-i sh orbital mechanics and travel and turning it in yet another space-fantasy warfare game.

Out of the only green text I managed to decipher against the blazing white background, only the bottom 3 things are unrealistic. Correct me if I'm wrong, this text is really hard to read.

Edited by Bej Kerman
Clarity

36 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Out of the only green text I managed to decipher against the blazing white background, only the bottom 3 things are unrealistic. Correct me if I'm wrong, this text is really hard to read.

I'm sorry for that. I am using a script that makes all my pages dark, and the text looks STUNNING! 

I fixed it for you. I recommend you use the addon Dark Reader. I just can't live without it.

I don't think weapons fit in KSP. Physics already provides enough potential to abuse the parts provided, we certainly don't need more tools for griefers. Some modders will come up with them anyway, and I will proceed not to download them.

16 hours ago, AntINFINAIt said:

What can you come up with? What about defending against them?

Kick them off the server. I wouldn't want to build on a server that allows a bunch of feral 12 year olds to tear up my work.

Edited by TLTay

Just my thoughts, but I would expect that KSP2 multiplayer would be far more likely to go down the private server path than use company hosted servers.

Even if numbers of participants aren't actually limited, the nature of the game doesn't really lend itself to masses of players online at once.  Not just due to the gameplay seeming to be more suited to small group cooperating (or battling it out), but also the 'part count' problem is multiplied just by virtue of having more players and/or vessels around.

And I would also strongly agree that specific weaponry parts should be strictly limited to mods.  Nothing wrong with using them if that's how you want to play, but just not appropriate in stock IMO.

I feel like this thread is assuming a lot of things and overestimating the capability of computers...

For example: 

21 hours ago, AntINFINAIt said:
  • For ground defense, i think most efficient approach would be a missile with a fairing containing thousands of small struts, or cubes, that would be deployed in a cloud to destroy any incoming object, kind of like the distuptor satellite, but with a much higher debris density(this could also be deployed by a ship to protect itself). This only works if the part-breaking system remains similar to KSP-1.

That sounds like a 10 seconds/frame interaction if I have ever heard of one

Also, why do I see so much praise and enthusiasm for the kraken in this forum? I know it is a meme that we all have dealt with and have to laugh off but at its core it is a symptom of the failures to the simulation of the game...

21 hours ago, AntINFINAIt said:
  • Kraken drive interstellar missile
  • Weaponizable Kraken glitch creator

Why would you want to depend on the kraken still existing? 

To set up factions and teams, that could trade or fight other factions.

When you say "factions and teams" how many players are you assuming will be able to play in a server? This isn't factorio or minecraft, this game requires a very demanding simulation to play.

All in all, we have no clue how many players will be able to play simultaneously, we don't know how time sync will function, we don't know if dedicated servers will happen, we don't even know if modded multiplayer will happen. Id love to join in on some cold war era war stuff, building custom aircraft and dogfight a la BDArmory 2 and perhaps cruisemissle/nuke each others bases while racing to another planet solar system and engaging in space warfare along the way, but no clue if this will be possible and if so on what scale.

I'm not the most code savvy and I don't want to be a downer but I think having 10 people on the same server all having their own physics simulations running simultaneously in the same universe might be a bit taxing and a bit much to ask for...

On 7/20/2020 at 3:05 PM, AntINFINAIt said:

a large number of people will be setting up roleplay and PVP-enabled servers

we still don't have a confirmation for will servers be even a thing. there is very little information about how multiplayer will actually be implemented, and there is a huge possibility, that it would be just steam based, session driven multiplayer, where you will be able to join your friend in his local save, but that's it.

(although i really hope that community servers will be supported)

On 7/20/2020 at 5:11 PM, Master39 said:

This one is fairly obvious. To have the only game out there with realistic-i sh orbital mechanics and combat. There is not a single space warfare game out there, that has both an actual orbital mechanics and all the goodies from KSP, and warfare with ability to make your own battleship/fighter/missile and use them for their purpose. Not in any reality KSP would become a "yet another space-fantasy warfare game", if weapons would be added. Just because they would (or would not) add weapons, doesn't mean realism and orbital mechanics will disappear from the game.

I play with BDArmory installed for ages now. And it never influenced my Mun landing mission or an SSTO to Duna and back. It never influenced the fun of building a space station above Laythe. It never influenced designing an SSTO shuttle for said Laythe station, that is able to de-orbit itself, land anywhere on Laythe, refuel and get back to the space station. All of the vanilla KSP experience is still there and nothing has happened to it. But you know what BDArmory did influenced? It provided me with ability to replicate F-22 Raptor, that actually works. It provided me with ability to carpet-bomb living hell out of KSC, when i'm bored. It provided me with ability to put x12 152mm Howitzers on my plane and see how will it fly. It provided me with ability to desing my own attack helicopter and test it's performance against AA units, and later re-purpose said helicopter for scanning surface features on Kerbin by strapping scanning arm it's nose. It provided me with ability to design a fighter, that will not only look good, but will actually perform good in combat. It provided me with challenges of balancing between more wings for better turn rate and less wings for better high speed performance. It provided me with challenge of picking the engine for the fighter where Panther will be ultimate choice for close range dogfights due to it's phenomenal thrust vectoring, and Whiplash and Rapier would compete for the best engine for hypersonic interceptor, where Whiplash can push me to 1400m/s at ~19km altitude, just on the edge of overheating cockpit, with relatively good fuel efficiency, while Rapier can push me another 200m/s faster at the cost of poor fuel efficiency and extremely high overheating risks. No other game can provide me with all of that, but KSP with BDArmory.

And as for does KSP 2 needs weapons or does it not - i am aware, that devs are considering it to be a huge no-no, because it "doesn't fir the genre of peaceful exploration". Even tho i disagree with that position - IMO having weapons in the game will not affect exploration in the game, but rather add new possibilities for players, i still find it fair-ish enough. Having said that i am 98% sure, that there will be no weapons in vanilla KSP 2. HOWEVER we all know that modders would instantly fix that, so the thing i expect from KSP 2 devs, is to provide as much basis for the modders in this area as possible(they've talked a lot how they will build a game with modding in mind from the ground up), and to be exact i am talking about explosion physics. I really hope, that in Kerbal 2 explosions won't be just "part destruction animation", and that detonations would have their shockwaves modeled, as well as all the heat, generated during said detonations. And at this point i want to remind you, that in KSP 2 we literally have an engine, that spits atomic bombs out of it's nozzle, so the devs don't really have an excuse to not implement proper detonations in the game. And as far as i'm concerned, that is already a solid enough basis for weaponizing stuff. And modders will definitely take it on the new level.

Edited by Acid_Burn9

On 7/21/2020 at 1:30 PM, pandaman said:

Just my thoughts, but I would expect that KSP2 multiplayer would be far more likely to go down the private server path than use company hosted servers.

Maybe it will be like Diablo 3. You can connect to others, but everything is hosted on TakeTwo servers.

@AntINFINAIt since your poll lacks a “not going to use multiplayer” option i cannot vote. 

I honestly cannot wrap my head around combat in ksp. Personally I think space should be used for universal benefit and not militaristic pursuits, even in a game. That said, I also cannot fathom how they will make multiplayer work or how it will be implemented, so a guess to anything cannot be ventured by me. 

2 hours ago, Acid_Burn9 said:

Not in any reality KSP would become a "yet another space-fantasy warfare game", if weapons would be added. Just because they would (or would not) add weapons, doesn't mean realism and orbital mechanics will disappear from the game.

The topic was about weapons and FTL, not just weapons.

59 minutes ago, Master39 said:

The topic was about weapons and FTL, not just weapons.

I mean FTL was mentioned only once, while whole discussion went to the weapons direction. And i mean it makes sense. While perspective of having weapons in KSP is worth debating, FTL, warp drives and other magical stuff objectively has no place in a realistic simulator. There is just nothing to discuss about it.

Edited by Acid_Burn9

46 minutes ago, Acid_Burn9 said:

I mean FTL was mentioned only once, while whole discussion went to the weapons direction. And i mean it makes sense. While perspective of having weapons in KSP is worth debating, FTL, warp drives and other magical stuff objectively has no place in a realistic simulator. There is just nothing to discuss about it.

The topic is about Weapons and FTL to make battles easier, I replied to that.

Also I think FTL and weapons should share the same place in KSP: none.