How much do you use warp

GigFiz

How much do you use time warp?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How does your play-style deal with travel time?

• I run a large number of flights rolling and only have to warp small amounts of time. (No more than 30-50 days or so)
    • I run fewer flights with longer time warps. (Up to a year)
    • I run one/just a couple flights at a time and warp however long it takes. (1 Year+)
    • I try to warp as little as possible. (I'd be curious how people (if any) approach this play-style. Endless mun and minimus missions? Insane quantity of concurrent flights? etc)
    • I do whatever my whim or level of patience dictates. (anything else, or any combination of the other options)

In a save, when you move to the interplanetary phase of things, the time it takes to get anywhere skyrockets (pun semi-intended) and you either have to time warp in much larger amounts, or just nickel and dime your way through with smaller stuff to pass the time. I tend to avoid overly long single time warps and I'm curious as to how people approach this in regards to play-style.

I'm missing the option 'I once warped all the way into the literal end of times, and watched negative time exist for another year (anti-year?) until the universe ceased to be'.

Spoiler

MShwgdH.png

2 147 483 648 years minus 1 second. And all is still well in the KSP universe.

QY01YTs.png

Just one second later... whoops! We got negative time now!

VNmbQRh.png

Amazingly, the KSP universe doesn't seem to really mind negative time. For almost a full year of it anyway. Then reality grinds to a halt.

When I first started, I used time warp all the time.

Now, I am launching multiple rockets at a time, I use it less.

I had 3 tourist missions, a save Kerbal  in orbit, and launch a sentinel going at one time.

If I time warped more than 2 days, some kerbals would not be making it back.

I am in career mode, Less time warp means more missions complete faster and more science/money.

9 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

I'm missing the option 'I once warped all the way into the literal end of times, and watched negative time exist for another year (anti-year?) until the universe ceased to be'.

Reveal hidden contents

MShwgdH.png

2 147 483 648 years minus 1 second. And all is still well in the KSP universe.

QY01YTs.png

Just one second later... whoops! We got negative time now!

VNmbQRh.png

Amazingly, the KSP universe doesn't seem to really mind negative time. For almost a full year of it anyway. Then reality grinds to a halt.

Did Captain Jack Harkness happen to be clinging to the outside of one of your flights?

Edit: and yes, I definitely failed to anticipate that possibility. I guess I should have had an "other" option

Edited by GigFiz
Additional reply

Juggling between missions just isn't fun for me. Normally I like to play for a certain amount of realism, and in reality a space program isn't going to hibernate for 2 years waiting for a Hohmann transfer to complete, but I really enjoy playing a mission from start to finish. The time elapsed since the start of the game is just a number and has 0 effect on gameplay. Who cares if my space program has been going for 400 Kerbin years?

30m limit.  Or do something else.  Averaging about 250 flights in operation.  KSP time was pegging real-time for the first year, though it's picked up a little, lately.

By the time I get to a mid-course correction, it's a research project to figure out what the original intention was.  (I keep notes, of course.)  By the time I arrive, the equipment is strangely foreign, so very obsolete.

I think that if you work at NASA, and you are experienced enough in your career to propose a mission and be responsible for it, you might well have a 50-50 chance of being retired (or worse) before the time it comes to fruition.  Missions (I gather) really do go into a kind of mothball phase with just a skeleton crew monitoring progress and staying cognizant with the day-to-day.  What other choice is there?

Playing the way I am playing (and, yes, I have regrets about it), really does give you the Time dimension about the vastness of space.  On the plus side, I thrive on the system management challenges because, like all things NASA, it has devolving benefits for the daily walk of life.

"We choose [to]...do the ... things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win..."

I think the way I am approaching this "epoch" is like the Japanese think of Fuji-san: "you are crazy if you don't climb it once; you are crazy if you climb it more than once".  This will be one time only.

Edited by Hotel26

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.