Science finder/degrading solar panels request

Souptime

1, I remember seeing a mod that would show all the places you haven't done science yet, where can i find that?

2, Degrading panels, solar panels always provide power, so i want them to e x p i r e. Is there a mod that takes away the power they provide? i already have a diminishing RTG mod so the solar panels would be the next step

3 hours ago, Souptime said:

2, Degrading panels, solar panels always provide power, so i want them to e x p i r e. Is there a mod that takes away the power they provide? i already have a diminishing RTG mod so the solar panels would be the next step

There's a stock function for that. It uses time (seconds). In addition there's a function for efficiency over temperature (by which you can make them become weak or stop completely by overheating when you pass very near to the Sun). I'm not home right now and I haven't tested it but I'll write a patch for you to try out.

@Clamp-o-Tron ping. I see you may like this too.

Also, Nertea and Linux likely might not enjoy writing a plugin for that. Most players might not want to have to think about replacing expired solar panels. It's easily an aspect of realism that has no real entertainment or challenge value and only serves as a gripe to put up with.

6 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

There's a stock function for that. It uses time (seconds). In addition there's a function for efficiency over temperature (by which you can make them become weak or stop completely by overheating when you pass very near to the Sun). I'm not home right now and I haven't tested it but I'll write a patch for you to try out.

@Clamp-o-Tron ping. I see you may like this too.

Also, Nertea and Linux likely might not enjoy writing a plugin for that. Most players might not want to have to think about replacing expired solar panels. It's easily an aspect of realism that has no real entertainment or challenge value and only serves as a gripe to put up with.

Thanks @JadeOfMaar. I am a sucker for tiny things to make the game harder/prolong career mode.

@Clamp-o-Tron I've tested it now and created a patch that gives a short half life to all the stock solar panels except the Gigantor, and a longer half life to the Gigantor. But I have bad news. It does not seem to respect whether the panel is open or closed, so you're losing lifetime even before you open a deployable one. (This is in 1.9. I doubt Squad noticed this and dealt with it for 1.10.)

I'd like to know what time spans you want for the smaller solar panels and for the Gigantor separately so I can give you a config to play with.

29 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Clamp-o-Tron I've tested it now and created a patch that gives a short half life to all the stock solar panels except the Gigantor, and a longer half life to the Gigantor. But I have bad news. It does not seem to respect whether the panel is open or closed, so you're losing lifetime even before you open a deployable one. (This is in 1.9. I doubt Squad noticed this and dealt with it for 1.10.)

I'd like to know what time spans you want for the smaller solar panels and for the Gigantor separately so I can give you a config to play with.

I’d like a half-life of 2 years for the small panels, and 5 years for gigantors. Actually, I could take it upon myself to give comprehensive confidant to modded panels.

@Clamp-o-Tron Here you go. Well now that you know what this looks like, have a blast modding the mods! :sticktongue:

@PART[solarPanels?|LgRadialSolarPanel] // stock panels except Gigantor
{
	@description ^= :$: <br><color="orange">Solar cells decay completely after 2 years.</color>
	@MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]
	{
		// time is in 24 hour days; 1 = 4 Kerbin days
		// number of days you want, div by 4, for stock scale Kerbin time
		timeEfficCurve
		{
			key = 0 1 0 0
			key = 159.75 0.7 -0.001370175 -0.001370175
			key = 213 0 -0.005482669 -0.003286385
		}
	}
}
@PART[largeSolarPanel] // stock Gigantor
{
	@description ^= :$: <br><color="orange">Solar cells decay completely after 5 years.</color>
	@MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]
	{
		timeEfficCurve
		{
			key = 0 1 0 0
			key = 375 0.875 -0.0008611155 -0.0008611155
			key = 500 0.5000001 -0.005242719 -0.005242719
			key = 532.5 0 -0.03155332 -0.002034429
		}
	}
}

@JadeOfMaar thanks! I'm on it! I plan to just touch select parts, like nf solar arrays, habtech panels, and damon's dragon trunk. Since I don't have anything else to do, expect a beta version here tomorrow and a full release Wednesday if everything goes well. And don't worry: this isn't like those RR configs I promised a couple months ago. (FYI on those: they're still coming, but with decreased scope)

@Souptime ping! Just wanna alert you to this.

@Clamp-o-Tron Yes. In MM operations, ? represents "any single character at this location in a string." Meanwhile, 5 of the stock solar panels have the internal names: solarPanels1, solarPanels2, solarPanels3, solarPanels4, solarPanels5.

Targeting solarPanels? means I can hit all of those because of that trend in their names.

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

@Clamp-o-Tron Yes. In MM operations, ? represents "any single character at this location in a string." Meanwhile, 5 of the stock solar panels have the internal names: solarPanels1, solarPanels2, solarPanels3, solarPanels4, solarPanels5.

Targeting solarPanels? means I can hit all of those because of that trend in their names.

Thanks. I need a way to include all parts with moduleDeployableSolarPanel, while excluding a few that I specifically name in the cfg.

MM keeps things simple so you're going to have to setup a chain of MM operations to filter out the parts. They are executed in the order that they are read from the top of the config file that contains them:

1. Target all parts that have the module, then insert a placeholder key and value "A" (they can be anything as long as they're not something used by the module).
  2. Target the parts that you want to single out and change the placeholder value to "B".
  3. Now you have parts with tag value A and parts with tag value B.
    1. Target all parts that have "A" and apply your "default" settings.
    2. Target all parts that have "B" and apply your higher settings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.