Tips for finding large comets? (1.10)

The_8_Bit_Zombie

I really want to find (and hopefully capture) a large comet, but I'm having trouble finding anything over Class E. I've been time warping for a good year and a half and have only seen two gigantic comets, both of which were interstellar.

Any tips for finding them more quickly? Would a SENTINEL near Eeloo's orbit help perhaps? (Or even outside of its orbit?)

6 hours ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

comets are usually found outside of the main asteroid belt... interstellar comets can be class I, which are hundreds of meters across

Did an joke game mode and got an g class object north of the sun at Dress orbit. So yes the dV to match trajectory will be interesting. 

Now weird that many are interstellar, yes think you go interstellar if your orbit is above 100 year something with an low Pe

9 hours ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

comets are usually found outside of the main asteroid belt... interstellar comets can be class I, which are hundreds of meters across

Good to know thanks. So if I put a SENTINEL near Jool or Eeloo that should theoretically help me find more comets right? My problem is I'm finding a ton of asteroids (~100 at all times) but almost no comets. And when I do find comets they're almost always interstellar.

Do you know if it's possible to find a Class I that isn't interstellar?

12 hours ago, pandaman said:

I think you may be confusing asteroids and comets.

Asteroids are fairly common, but do not (I believe) get any bigger than Class E.

Ah yeah good point.

37 minutes ago, The_8_Bit_Zombie said:

Do you know if it's possible to find a Class I that isn't interstellar?

i looked through the comet configs, and found that class I comets are always interstellar, i think class H are both interstellar and non-periodic.

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

11 hours ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

i looked through the comet configs, and found that class I comets are always interstellar, i think class H are both interstellar and non-periodic.

Sweet thanks for the info.

My plan was initially to move a class I comet into orbit around Gilly, but seeing as they are all interstellar I think I'll go with a class H instead haha.

4 hours ago, The_8_Bit_Zombie said:

Sweet thanks for the info.

My plan was initially to move a class I comet into orbit around Gilly, but seeing as they are all interstellar I think I'll go with a class H instead haha.

Trust me, if you are planning on re-directing a comet, you will absolutely have to use a deadules engine from ksp interstellar. You could do it stock, but it would have to be an absurd monolithic monster of a rocket to even have just a few hundred m/s when docked to the comet. Via the daedulus, I was able to re-direct a comet.

interstellar doesnt not equal non periodic, non periodic means that its orbital period is well over 100 years, but its eccentricity is <1, however, interstellar comets have eccentricities of above 1

but if a comet is highly metallic and is observed to have an eccentricity of waaaaaay above 10, thats not a comet, its a spaceship

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

30 minutes ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

interstellar doesnt not equal non periodic, non periodic means that its orbital period is well over 100 years, but its eccentricity is <1, however, interstellar comets have eccentricities of above 1

So "non-periodic" doesn't belong in the context of interstellar comets?

On 7/25/2020 at 4:59 AM, Lewie said:

Trust me, if you are planning on re-directing a comet, you will absolutely have to use a deadules engine from ksp interstellar. You could do it stock, but it would have to be an absurd monolithic monster of a rocket to even have just a few hundred m/s when docked to the comet. Via the daedulus, I was able to re-direct a comet.

I don't supposed you could take ISRU with you and use the comet's mass for fuel? 

You could, but you would still need to bring "an absurd monolithic monster of a rocket" to actually move the fuel/comet. Thrust to Weight ratio is the killer here.

12 hours ago, theJesuit said:

I don't supposed you could take ISRU with you and use the comet's mass for fuel? 

Yep! But with the sheer mass of the comet, your twr will likely be .001

1 minute ago, Meecrob said:

You could, but you would still need to bring "an absurd monolithic monster of a rocket" to actually move the fuel/comet. Thrust to Weight ratio is the killer here.

Maybe rhinos and wolfhounds? Their twr is pretty good, and always a good choice for vaccum engines. I’m saying this cus the nerva’s twr with a comet is just depressing....

I was doing some tests actually. It looks like Class H comets are around 70,000 tons, or at least the one I have is. I made a little modded part that weighs 70,000 tons and used that to test different combinations of engines and fuel tanks.

Something like this would work if you attached drills to it:

6t26qvL.png

It has a TWR of 0.22 and Delta-V of 123m/s. It's not the final version; I'll probably reduce the TWR and increase the Delta-V for the actual one.

All in all, definitely not ideal lol. Should be doable though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.