[1.10-1.12] Kopernicus Expansion Continued-er

Vabien

GwDrKbD.png

Kopernicus Expansion is a mod aimed at expanding on the features of Kopernicus

NOTE:

All plugins are now bundled in one package. If one or more gives you issues, please delete them in gamedata/kopernicusexpansion/plugins/INSERTPLUGINHERE.dll

Original Threads

Dependencies

FAQ

• Can I bundle this with my planet pack?
    • From my understanding, yes! I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that the GNU license allows you to use this as long as you credit properly. A link to this thread should do.
  • How do I use this?
    • Currently I don't have many examples, however examples can be found on the downloads page. I do plan to add a wiki however, so hopefully soon no downloads will be required for an example
  • What do I download?
    • Currently you can either download via Github, where you can download the KEX-Plugins.zip file, and if you want stock footprints configs, download KEX-Examples.zip and delete Gamedata/KopernicusExpansionExamples/VHM16
      If you prefer an easier method, simply download from Spacedock and it's ready to go immediately. I do plan to make the Github downloads easier in the future.
  • I'm a developer. Can I contribute to updating the mod?
    • Please do! I'm not the most experienced dev, and I suffer from ADHD, so updates don't come as often as they maybe should. Feel free to file a pull request, or message me on discord in either the Kopernicus discord, or via dm at Vabien#6853
  • I'm just trying to play a dumb space frog game. What does this mod actually do?
    • For you, not much. We have footprints for you, but most of these features are only going to be useful as a dependency for a planet pack. Footprints require configs however, so you will either need to make them yourself, or look for specifically a mod that has them. This does not apply to stock, as we provide configs.
  • Were you born with it, or was it Maybelline?
    • Maybelline.

Downloads

WARNING: This version is still under development and maintenance. Use at your own risk

Currently Updated: Wormholes, Footprints, VertexHeightMap16/24, HeightMapConverter, VertexHeightDeformity, RegionalPQS, EmissiveFX

https://github.com/VabienArt/KopernicusExpansion-Continueder/releases/

OR for easier download

https://spacedock.info/mod/3357/Kopernicus Expansion Continued-er

Credits

Creator: MrHappyFace

Maintainers: StollD aka Thomas P. (previous), Vabien

Contributers: R-T-B (footprint fix), TheGhastModding (VHM24, HeightMapConverter update to VHM24)

Source Code

https://github.com/VabienArt/KopernicusExpansion-Continueder/

Licenses

Kopernicus Expansion: Continued-er is provided under the GNU General Public License

This software is provided as-is, and the author(s) are not responsible for any damage to hardware, software, or files.

Edited by Vabien
Updated

7 hours ago, CindyRIng said:

Wow!! you are amazing. a moment before when i wanner to play this,I searched it and get this post,exciting. Good job! and what about comet? 

Currently working on porting the 1.10 comet particles in to the mod. 1.9 isn't a huge priority but I will see about a recompile.

13 hours ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Wow, this is great! I never thought I would see footprints again!

I thought atlas just outright broke them, seems I was wrong lol.

21 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

I thought atlas just outright broke them, seems I was wrong lol.

Nope! 1.8 brought a unity update, so all it needed was a shader recompile in that version!

Just now, Vabien said:

Nope! 1.8 brought a unity update, so all it needed was a shader recompile in that version!

This is why KopEx needed artists more than it needed coders, lol.  Shoot any code questions you may have my way though and I'll be happy to help.

For the non- updated Kop-Ex files, I'd think that RPQS is in the usual broken state, Procedural gas giants a dumpster fire (in 1.10) Vertex height Deformity should be still working, and the rest should work to some degree, I'd recommend testing vertex height deformity as it should be the easiest to fix if it is broke. 

Edited by Shawn Kerman

8 hours ago, Vabien said:

pOmD9Bm.jpg

It just works, thank you so much! Oh, and i have to bring it here - the realistic replacement texture for footprints. From the elder thread. Not sure what to do with it.

https://sabercathost.com/folder/66777/Alternativ_footprint_texture 

Edited by Hohmannson

6 hours ago, Hohmannson said:

pOmD9Bm.jpg

It just works, thank you so much! Oh, and i have to bring it here - the realistic replacement texture for footprints. From the elder thread. Not sure what to do with it.

https://sabercathost.com/folder/66777/Alternativ_footprint_texture 

Aha, yeah I forgot to put that in as the new default texture! I use it on my personal build, but in the upcoming Stock Config update I'll update it. If you want to replace it yourself navigate to kopernicusexpansion/textures, and replace the current texture with the new file, making sure to rename it to kerbalevafootprintmask. The format is not important, and I believe that's a .dds, so it almost certainly works.

6 hours ago, Shawn Kerman said:

For the non- updated Kop-Ex files, I'd think that RPQS is in the usual broken state, Procedural gas giants a dumpster fire (in 1.10) Vertex height Deformity should be still working, and the rest should work to some degree, I'd recommend testing vertex height deformity as it should be the easiest to fix if it is broke. 

I'm aware of these issues. The current plan is to deprecate the gas giant shaders as the new shaders will either be in default kopernicus, or I will implement them. Current priority is the visual effects, but after I get comet planets in a working state, and possibly fix the emission shaders, I'll get to pqs stuff. I'm not certain of the function of all these pqsmods, so any info on the exact function of these would be great, as I'm planning to make a wiki.

3 minutes ago, Hpl said:

Thanks for continuing this!

im especially grateful on the wormholes

Vabien is taking to this coding stuff like a fish to water.  He's living up to his title on this forum.  His art skills coupled with budding coding skills will make him perfect for maintaining this.

Edited by R-T-B

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Vabien is taking to this coding stuff like a fish to water.  He's living up to his title on this forum.  His art skills coupled with budding coding skills will make him perfect for maintaining this.

Haha definitely! I went to school last year for 3d art and have past experience with programming in JS and Python, but C# is a hell of a jump. Luckily, this year I'm taking a class in Unity, so hopefully over the next year I can learn to mod really well, and help with some mod transition once KSP2 comes out.

11 minutes ago, Vabien said:

Haha definitely! I went to school last year for 3d art and have past experience with programming in JS and Python, but C# is a hell of a jump. Luckily, this year I'm taking a class in Unity, so hopefully over the next year I can learn to mod really well, and help with some mod transition once KSP2 comes out.

If they don't have native Kopernicus-like functions, we are going to have a lot of work, so you'll be well appreciated. :)

6 hours ago, Vabien said:

The current plan is to deprecate the gas giant shaders as the new shaders will either be in default kopernicus, or I will implement them.

For the record, I do plan to add an interface to them someday, but bugs keep distracting me.  PRs are always welcome.

Edited by R-T-B

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Nope. It works fine on my custom planet pack, and I can disable it at will.

Weird.  Wonder what I did wrong.  I'll look at my configs again.

To be clear, I am getting footprints on Kerbin, despite setting allowFootprints = false in a dedicated config.

Edited by R-T-B

@Vabien

More important than the above, Kopernicus is looking at baking comets into our custom asteroid system.  Would the old CometTails code found in Kopernicus Expansion be helpful here?  I know it requires particles, but my bleeding edge branch has had those working for some time, if you want to try to get it running.  We may even bake it into Kopernicus itself (ideally to allow a configurable comet system) pending review.

Basically, we could use help updating the shaders, which I think we need to do.  Other than that, I'm sure I can handle it.

Edited by R-T-B

On 8/12/2020 at 9:21 PM, R-T-B said:

@Vabien

More important than the above, Kopernicus is looking at baking comets into our custom asteroid system.  Would the old CometTails code found in Kopernicus Expansion be helpful here?  I know it requires particles, but my bleeding edge branch has had those working for some time, if you want to try to get it running.  We may even bake it into Kopernicus itself (ideally to allow a configurable comet system) pending review.

Basically, we could use help updating the shaders, which I think we need to do.  Other than that, I'm sure I can handle it.

Unlikely. CometTails is designed for Celestial Bodies, and is designed with a custom particle system in mind, which frankly is absolutely terrible compared to stock comets. However, spawning those particles should be easy, and spawning comets even easier. In fact, you probably wont have to use any shaders since it's built in to the game.

Also, side note, I'm taking a temporary break until the school year starts, that way I can parallel this mod development with the course I'm taking. Please do feel free to contribute if you feel like it cause while the 2 most popular features are implemented, there are still several that still need ports. I might work on it some before then, but don't count on it.

12 minutes ago, Vabien said:

Unlikely. CometTails is designed for Celestial Bodies, and is designed with a custom particle system in mind, which frankly is absolutely terrible compared to stock comets. However, spawning those particles should be easy, and spawning comets even easier. In fact, you probably wont have to use any shaders since it's built in to the game.

Also, side note, I'm taking a temporary break until the school year starts, that way I can parallel this mod development with the course I'm taking. Please do feel free to contribute if you feel like it cause while the 2 most popular features are implemented, there are still several that still need ports. I might work on it some before then, but don't count on it.

Ah, that's cool.  I completely understand given the state of the world right now.

Have fun, relax, and thanks for what you did manage.  And I got stock comets working shortly after I wrote that btw, so sort of doesn't matter anyways, lol.

I hope you don't mind if I fork KopernicusExpansion in the meantime, I may try to fix a few bugs I already have pull requests on.

Edited by R-T-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.