[1.10-1.12] Kopernicus Expansion Continued-er

Vabien

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

Ah, that's cool.  I completely understand given the state of the world right now.

Have fun, relax, and thanks for what you did manage.  And I got stock comets working shortly after I wrote that btw, so sort of doesn't matter anyways, lol.

I hope you don't mind if I fork KopernicusExpansion in the meantime, I may try to fix a few bugs I already have pull requests on.

Feel free to pull request or fork in the meantime. I'll still work on some stuff when I feel like it (3 AM mostly) but it's mostly just that I'm not focusing on porting at the moment. School's only 2 weeks away anyway so don't expect me to be gone long!

Oh and I'll make sure to credit you in some way once I get around to adding credits lol. @ me on discord if I don't notice a pull request or something. Hell, if you find a bug with the footprints/wormholes you can @ me. Not exactly doing much lol.

1 minute ago, Vabien said:

Feel free to pull request or fork in the meantime. I'll still work on some stuff when I feel like it (3 AM mostly) but it's mostly just that I'm not focusing on porting at the moment. School's only 2 weeks away anyway so don't expect me to be gone long!

Oh and I'll make sure to credit you in some way once I get around to adding credits lol. @ me on discord if I don't notice a pull request or something. Hell, if you find a bug with the footprints/wormholes you can @ me. Not exactly doing much lol.

Have a pull request on the footprints now, for them applying everywhere despite configs.

Edited by R-T-B

Just now, R-T-B said:

Have a pull request on the footprints now, for them applying everywhere on my rig.

Already merged it mate. Beta3 fixes that and a bug I found with despawning. It's in the main post now.

Just now, Vabien said:

Already merged it mate. Beta3 fixes that and a bug I found with despawning. It's in the main post now.

Ooh, nice.  Thanks!  I'll grab the release for the despawn fix too.

• 2 weeks later...

Upped to beta4 with a preview of VHD. Unfortunately there is no wiki, and StollD's thread has been deleted, so if anyone has experience with the various mod components and what exactly they do, contact me. From what I can guess, currently VHD works as intended, but if it isn't, CONTACT ME. Anyway I'm gonna look in to vertex height map 16 next, assuming I don't have bugs to fix.

Seems like VHD was actually bugged...maybe. Could use examples of it in use before 1.8, cause I don't know exactly how it works. HOWEVER TheGhastModding has graciously not only fixed VertexHeightMap16, but also added VHM24. Thanks to them cause they fixed that in like 2 days. Anyway time to investigate VHD.

1 hour ago, J_KING30 said:

I'll love to see tethers for evas. so if your kerbal runs out of mono, they can be saved by the tether.

Sounds like a cool idea, but this mod is focused on the planet aspect of KSP. Kerbal Attachment System might be a good mod to suggest that for.

• 2 weeks later...

If i am looking to upgrade my Kop-Ex Cont - Common and Kop-Ex Cont - EVA Footprints i can use this mod right? I ask cause the links in CKAN for both of those mods takes me to the same page (Where i found this mod, yay!). So i am having a little trouble deciphering if it does. I am a JNSQ player and read on the Kopernicus thread there are optimizations for JNSQ in 1.9 so excited to try this out!

I read through the replies here, sorry if what i am asking was already covered, so i do understand that this is still a WIP so it may not have all the features of those two mods yet.

On 9/11/2020 at 1:41 PM, PyroPerc88 said:

If i am looking to upgrade my Kop-Ex Cont - Common and Kop-Ex Cont - EVA Footprints i can use this mod right? I ask cause the links in CKAN for both of those mods takes me to the same page (Where i found this mod, yay!). So i am having a little trouble deciphering if it does. I am a JNSQ player and read on the Kopernicus thread there are optimizations for JNSQ in 1.9 so excited to try this out!

I read through the replies here, sorry if what i am asking was already covered, so i do understand that this is still a WIP so it may not have all the features of those two mods yet.

I don't think KopEx stuff is really ready on CKAN, but you can download the footprints and common mod in an updated form here manually:

https://github.com/VabienArt/KopernicusExpansion-Continueder/releases/tag/beta6-1.10

Footprints at least work fine.

JNSQ is perfectly functional with the Kopernicus CKAN download as of 1.9.1.

Edited by R-T-B

On 9/11/2020 at 4:41 PM, PyroPerc88 said:

Yes, those mods absolutely work, and while officially they are considered unstable, in all honesty Common and Footprints aren't gonna have an issue. This is the same as Kop-Ex Cont. Officially I only support 1.10, but it should work through 1.8, so feel free to report a bug in those versions.

On 9/13/2020 at 6:53 PM, Vabien said:

Yes, those mods absolutely work, and while officially they are considered unstable, in all honesty Common and Footprints aren't gonna have an issue. This is the same as Kop-Ex Cont. Officially I only support 1.10, but it should work through 1.8, so feel free to report a bug in those versions.

So your mod here basically does what the old KopEx does right? Like your mod basically contains them both? That was my question. I probably didn't word it right lol. I do understand from what i read that it may not have all the features of what those two do and that's fine.

I have both the old KopEx mods i mentioned but i am looking to upgrade them to yours. Just like to have the most upgraded version basically so all my mod versions match.

I modded my JNSQ till it broke (74 mods rn). May just be that 16GB isn't enough RAM to run what i am trying to run on my MSI Laptop. It does meet JNSQ requirements. But ya kno, trying to get stability on it and figured with new Kopernicus and its optimizations it says it did for JNSQ i might finally be able to achieve it.

Thanks for the reply! I do really appreciate it!

EDIT: i just reread you reply and i see that you actually answered my question lol. I will give it a try and report back if i have any issues with it! Hopefully i can decipher if i am having an issue with your mod or if its something else lol. Brand new to KSP Mod troubleshooting and bug hunting. Kinda don't know how to go about it besides re-installing mods one by one until it breaks. That takes time tho and i got stuff going on that makes that difficult. Well i'm rambling so imma stop lol. Thank you again!

Is the installation instructions in one of the zip folders? Not sure about which of all those zips i need to download and install from the GitHub page you linked. I don't usually manually install and the few i have i think had a readme files with installation instructions right on the GitHub page. So yeah, little confused.

Edited by PyroPerc88

9 hours ago, PyroPerc88 said:

So your mod here basically does what the old KopEx does right? Like your mod basically contains them both? That was my question. I probably didn't word it right lol. I do understand from what i read that it may not have all the features of what those two do and that's fine.

I have both the old KopEx mods i mentioned but i am looking to upgrade them to yours. Just like to have the most upgraded version basically so all my mod versions match.

I modded my JNSQ till it broke (74 mods rn). May just be that 16GB isn't enough RAM to run what i am trying to run on my MSI Laptop. It does meet JNSQ requirements. But ya kno, trying to get stability on it and figured with new Kopernicus and its optimizations it says it did for JNSQ i might finally be able to achieve it.

Thanks for the reply! I do really appreciate it!

EDIT: i just reread you reply and i see that you actually answered my question lol. I will give it a try and report back if i have any issues with it! Hopefully i can decipher if i am having an issue with your mod or if its something else lol. Brand new to KSP Mod troubleshooting and bug hunting. Kinda don't know how to go about it besides re-installing mods one by one until it breaks. That takes time tho and i got stuff going on that makes that difficult. Well i'm rambling so imma stop lol. Thank you again!

Is the installation instructions in one of the zip folders? Not sure about which of all those zips i need to download and install from the GitHub page you linked. I don't usually manually install and the few i have i think had a readme files with installation instructions right on the GitHub page. So yeah, little confused.

No the installation isn't in the zip, but all you need to install is KEX-Footprints for footprints, and KEX-Examples if you want stock footprint configs. Copy-Paste Gamedata into the KSP folder, and then navigate to gamedata/KopernicusExpansionExamples/VHM16, and delete the VHM16 folder. I plan to make installation instructions more obvious next release.

16 hours ago, Relonsk said:

I have a bug, the issue is that footprints only appear when i time warp, and i don't know if this a bug or not, 2 footprints appearing at the same time and footprints dissapearing.

Hmmm haven't encountered this. I'll need some info on this. What version are you on, and are you sure you're on the latest mod version? If you could provide video or screenshots that would be helpful, as well as your logs folder. 

Also the 2 footprints and footprints disappearing sounds like intended behavior, but I may not understand the issue fully.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 12:51 PM, Relonsk said:

DO i need kopernicus for 1.10? And i've got a suggestion, add the feature where rover wheels leave a trail.

Yes, Kopernicus is a dependency, which while in prerelease, is generally stable. Also the rover wheels are planned once I fix everything, along with a few other features ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I'm still working on the mod, just off and on. Turns out I have ADHD though. Screws with work ethic. Right now I'm working on bringing more mods up to date, and adding compatibility with the Parallax mod for footprints. That's gonna require some deep re-writes however.

For the technologically inclined, currently footprints are made by spawning a plane on the ground, but that will clip through the terrain with parallax. Either I'd have to deform this plane, or project a texture on to the terrain. Hopefully soon.

1 hour ago, Vabien said:

Just a quick update. I'm still working on the mod, just off and on. Turns out I have ADHD though. Screws with work ethic. Right now I'm working on bringing more mods up to date, and adding compatibility with the Parallax mod for footprints. That's gonna require some deep re-writes however.

For the technologically inclined, currently footprints are made by spawning a plane on the ground, but that will clip through the terrain with parallax. Either I'd have to deform this plane, or project a texture on to the terrain. Hopefully soon.

Wouldn't deforming the plane make it more realistic? When you make a footprint, you do kind of make a depression in the ground. It would be cool to see that happen, perhaps with some sort of depth mask?

40 minutes ago, Misguided Kerbal said:

Wouldn't deforming the plane make it more realistic? When you make a footprint, you do kind of make a depression in the ground. It would be cool to see that happen, perhaps with some sort of depth mask?

That is something I'm gonna look in to, but poly count is a concern, and since a footprint on most terrains except mud is going to be very shallow, a normal map projection might be more resource efficient. Might include it as a setting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.