Lost save

I got a message saying game save corrupted and asked if I wanted to delete the corrupted files. I said no not wanting to lose everything hoping I could just load an old save.

It still deleted my save...I'm assuming there is no way to retrieve the data? Why does it delete the entire save? Why not let me load an older save on that career run?

Not really worth trying to play the game if I have to have a great if losing everything...

Playing on Xbox one.

Edited by Nooton92

Unfortunately, there's no way to directly access the save file system on the console version of the game.  Each career/science/sandbox mode game is contained its own save data file, regardless of how many different manual saves you make.

So, for example, if you have a career mode with the "persistent", "quicksave, "manual_save1", "manual_save2", etc, it will show up in your saved data management on your consoles HDD as a single file; "career name here" (if you didn't rename it from "default").

What that means, is that once the "persistent" file becomes corrupted, that game mode is unable to be salvaged on console, unless the data had previously been backed up (by either the system, or yourself).  There's no way to simply just load one of the manual/quick saves and continue on. Whereas, on the PC, you could just rename one of your manual saves to "persistent.sfs", because each separate save file is fully self-contained.

• 4 weeks later...

I had to restart my career twice because of this. I ended up buying a usb drive for backup in addition to auto backup on the cloud. One thing i would suggest is keeping manual saves to a minimum. I have been deleting all but my most recent manual save after each mission and now have a 57 year career (landed on dres twice so far) and haven't needed to load any backup. The trick is that deleting saves is easier than you think. You don't have to wait for the list to repopulate after deleting. Go to "load game", delete about 5 saves, back out and when you select "load game" again, the list is updated. If you wait for it to repopulate with the list open it gets slow and wonky.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 10:41 AM, Nooton92 said:

I got a message saying game save corrupted and asked if I wanted to delete the corrupted files. I said no not wanting to lose everything hoping I could just load an old save.

It still deleted my save...I'm assuming there is no way to retrieve the data? Why does it delete the entire save? Why not let me load an older save on that career run?

Not really worth trying to play the game if I have to have a great if losing everything...

Playing on Xbox one.

I am on PS4 and I encountered a similar (although not strictly identical) issue of corrupted save file. It's quite discouraging. Right now, I am reluctant to start a new career from zero without the insurance that the problem won't happen again...

On 8/20/2020 at 6:58 AM, DocDan said:

I had to restart my career twice because of this. I ended up buying a usb drive for backup in addition to auto backup on the cloud. One thing i would suggest is keeping manual saves to a minimum. I have been deleting all but my most recent manual save after each mission and now have a 57 year career (landed on dres twice so far) and haven't needed to load any backup. The trick is that deleting saves is easier than you think. You don't have to wait for the list to repopulate after deleting. Go to "load game", delete about 5 saves, back out and when you select "load game" again, the list is updated. If you wait for it to repopulate with the list open it gets slow and wonky.

Thanks for the tip DocDan!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.