[1.8.x, 1.9.x, 1.10.x] Orbital Decay Updated

linuxgurugamer

21 minutes ago, Starseeker said:

VesselData.cfg in t

Is created by the mod.

I’m concerned by the stutter, can you tell me how many vessels you have in the game.

Also, could you please send me the save files, I’d like to compare them to my test save

thx

Edited by linuxgurugamer

29 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Is created by the mod.

I’m concerned by the stutter, can you tell me how many vessels you have in the game.

Also, could you please send me the save files, I’d like to compare them to my test save

thx

It's a fresh save with this being the only vessel; I've both launched a (previous, reverted-to-VAB) vessel using MechJeb (which, I'm pleased to report, works just fine in the PVG single-burn-to-orbit mode) and used Hyperedit to put this new one (which I didn't save) into the same target orbit.

Here's my modlist:

Spoiler

• ClickThroughBlocker
  • Toolbar
  • Toolbar Controller
  • B9 Part Switch
  • Basic DeltaV
  • Community Category Kit
  • Community Resource Pack
  • Community Tech Tree
  • JNSQ
  • Kerbal Engineer
  • Hyperedit
  • Kopernicus
  • MechJeb 2
  • ModularFlightIntegrator (Bundled Kopernicus dependency)
  • Rational Resources
  • RCS Build Aid
  • ReStock & ReStock+
  • Solar Cycle Simulator
  • Orbital Decay

Save file folder:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VkhGWDj__YL_aY9TX9h35Q5RJiC0vaYF?usp=sharing

On 8/18/2020 at 7:15 AM, Starseeker said:

Oh, a question: are there any known incompatibilities between Solar Cycle Simulator and Kerbalism?

Not that I know of. However, last time I looked at the code (before LGG adopted the mod) it was in such a sorry state that I had to recommend not to use it. It does, in parts, the same as Kerbalism does (provide a solar cycle of sorts). Using orbital decay with Kerbalism is fine, but the solar activity levels seen by the 2 mods will be different.  

On 8/18/2020 at 7:15 AM, Starseeker said:

Oh, a question: are there any known incompatibilities between Solar Cycle Simulator and Kerbalism?

Not that I know of. However, last time I looked at the code (before LGG adopted the mod) it was in such a sorry state that I had to recommend not to use it. It does, in parts, the same as Kerbalism does (provide a solar cycle of sorts). Using orbital decay with Kerbalism is fine, but the solar activity levels seen by the 2 mods will be different.  

15 hours ago, Starseeker said:

It's a fresh save with this being the only vessel; I've both launched a (previous, reverted-to-VAB) vessel using MechJeb (which, I'm pleased to report, works just fine in the PVG single-burn-to-orbit mode) and used Hyperedit to put this new one (which I didn't save) into the same target orbit.

Here's my modlist:

Reveal hidden contents
  • ClickThroughBlocker
  • Toolbar
  • Toolbar Controller
  • B9 Part Switch
  • Basic DeltaV
  • Community Category Kit
  • Community Resource Pack
  • Community Tech Tree
  • JNSQ
  • Kerbal Engineer
  • Hyperedit
  • Kopernicus
  • MechJeb 2
  • ModularFlightIntegrator (Bundled Kopernicus dependency)
  • Rational Resources
  • RCS Build Aid
  • ReStock & ReStock+
  • Solar Cycle Simulator
  • Orbital Decay

Save file folder:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VkhGWDj__YL_aY9TX9h35Q5RJiC0vaYF?usp=sharing

Where did you get the orbital decay beta from?  Based on @Daniel Prates comment above, I suspect you may not have the right version.

Yes LGG, in the OP there are two links, one for the source code and other for the github download. I noticed they are inverted by the way. But also it seems the file in the github link is not the correct one. There is where I got the first one which behaved oddly.

Edited by Daniel Prates

9 minutes ago, Starseeker said:

Double-checking the download, the .version file lists 1.7.0.1, which matches the most recent release on the github page.

Ok.  Could you provide a log file as well, please?  I'll be looking at the mod tomorrow, would like to be able to review it, there are some debugging statements which may be useful for me.

Edit:  I have now observed the problem in my install when I look a fast look. 

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok.  Could you provide a log file as well, please?  I'll be looking at the mod tomorrow, would like to be able to review it, there are some debugging statements which may be useful for me

Alrighty, give me a bit to launch the game and generate a new log file (launched my main install since, so it's been overwritten)

1 minute ago, Starseeker said:

Alrighty, give me a bit to launch the game and generate a new log file (launched my main install since, so it's been overwritten)

No need now, thanks.  I see the problem.  In the future, a log file would be appreciated.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

New beta, 1.7.0.2 Beta 3

• Fixed stuttering and resetting of vessel orbital position
  • Fixed issues with timerate not being honored correctly
  • Cleaned up code regarding timerate

This bug was actually hidden by the previous bug, which was preventing any decay from happening during timewarp.  When that was fixed, this was exposed, but since I was looking at timewarp, I didn't see it.

Available here:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/OrbitalDecay/releases/tag/1.7.0.2

I did not look at the station keeping fuel usage, please check it out and let me know how it goes

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New beta, 1.7.0.2 Beta 3

• Fixed stuttering and resetting of vessel orbital position
  • Fixed issues with timerate not being honored correctly
  • Cleaned up code regarding timerate

This bug was actually hidden by the previous bug, which was preventing any decay from happening during timewarp.  When that was fixed, this was exposed, but since I was looking at timewarp, I didn't see it.

Available here:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/OrbitalDecay/releases/tag/1.7.0.2

I did not look at the station keeping fuel usage, please check it out and let me know how it goes

Alrighty, launching it up now, will report back!

Oh, and a bit more detail: it gave up on loading once this displayed, and the background images kept changing; I had the same thing happen when I downloaded a mod that had an outdated dependency bundled with it (was fixed by updating said dependency)

6 hours ago, Starseeker said:

Oh, and a bit more detail: it gave up on loading once this displayed, and the background images kept changing; I had the same thing happen when I downloaded a mod that had an outdated dependency bundled with it (was fixed by updating said dependency)

Oh god, i was tired.

Please add SpaceTuxLibrary as a dependency: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/SpaceTuxLibrary/releases

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, Daniel Prates said:

Linux, I installed the latest version (point zero two), and Spacetux Library. 

Orbit only decays (but properly and in real time) within the tracking station. When the craft is loading, it does not decay - both in craft view and orbit view.

What about during time warp?  Both physics and normal

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Oh god, i was tired.

Please add SpaceTuxLibrary as a dependency: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/SpaceTuxLibrary/releases

Alrighty, it works now! And in the tracking station - both in real time and during timewarp - orbits decay properly!
However, when a vessel is active, it doesn't experience decay during non-physics timewarp. It seems to experience it during regular time (and I suspect physics timewarp - I'll have to test that), and vessels within physics range but not active seem to decay both during and outside of timewarp.

Now, with stationkeeping, there's still some weird issues. During non-timewarp on an active vessel, it seems to have no effect besides consuming significant quantities of fuel (at least in low orbit); however, while the fuel consumption is still very high, it does seem to prevent orbital decay until it runs out of fuel.

Here's my player.log file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ctg5Y_d7udWBVTbnKSijQwRZJlJgUH0P/view?usp=sharing

I'll get back to testing; time to see how physics warp works

Edited by Starseeker
Error in my observations :P

Ah, this might have been the reason that fuel consumption was so high, as well as decay rates: the values circled in red were set to 10 for some reason.

96x4PVB.png

On a possibly related note: what does the "realistic decay" setting in the difficulty options do?

Update on timewarp: physics warp seems to work the same as no warp when in flight. (Also, disregard the part about "vessels within physics range but not active"; this was an error on my part.)

54 minutes ago, Starseeker said:

Update on timewarp: physics warp seems to work the same as no warp when in flight

meaning it works?

54 minutes ago, Starseeker said:

On a possibly related note: what does the "realistic decay" setting in the difficulty options do?

Absolutely nothing, it's being taken out as well as all the n-body stuff

It seems to have a different decay algorithm

59 minutes ago, Starseeker said:

Ah, this might have been the reason that fuel consumption was so high, as well as decay rates: the values circled in red were set to 10 for some reason.

Fixing this now

Edited by linuxgurugamer

12 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

meaning it works?

As far as I can see, yep; the apoapis/periapis readings are changing even without any sort of other thrust.

Oh, another issue: in the VAB, the decay info window says that a sputnik replica I made would last a bit more than 30 days in a 170km orbit; however, hyperediting it up to that orbit, the decay info window says it'll decay in 4.1 days.

Actually: update to the in-flight situation: it seems my apoapsis is increasing at the same rate my periapsis is decreasing. I'll give a log once it uploads.

Edited by Starseeker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.