Mars Rover Perseverance Discussion Thread

cubinator

Just now, sevenperforce said:

Absolutely breathtaking.

It's so strange having absolutely no relative scale for the ground. Until the surface starts getting blasted by the thrusters, it's impossible to tell whether Perseverance is 400 meters up or 40 meters up. Almost feels fractal.

I dunno, it's a lot better than the Moon. You can see the delta in a lot of the shots, so you know that's a pretty big feature.

Edited by cubinator

3 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

It's so strange having absolutely no relative scale for the ground. Until the surface starts getting blasted by the thrusters, it's impossible to tell whether Perseverance is 400 meters up or 40 meters up. Almost feels fractal.

idk, the size of the rocks looks much closer to here I suppose...

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

Seriously they should give us all the sound recordings as much as possible as well. Sound is one aspect overlooked on robotic explorations I think, while sure it's our eyes that takes in most informations from our surrounding, sounds are the first indication often of what's coming and what might go wrong.

Hope if they put a lander to Titan (again) or something they'll feature a microphone again. EDIT : Been there, done that.

Edited by YNM

21 minutes ago, YNM said:

Seriously they should give us all the sound recordings as much as possible as well. Sound is one aspect overlooked on robotic explorations I think, while sure it's our eyes that takes in most informations from our surrounding, sounds are the first indication often of what's coming and what might go wrong.

Hope if they put a lander to Titan (again) or something they'll feature a microphone again.

My contact at JPL says the audio from the landing just finished downloading from the DSN today and so they should be able to release it publicly in a day or two.

2 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

My contact at JPL

How often are they planning to record audios from the surface ? I'm honestly wondering now if the microphone is actually the one worth more than the cost by a large margin because that's a serious troubleshoot resource if any. Stuck motors ? Check the sound. Stuck mechanism ? Check the sound. Stuck in a rock ? Check the sound of how it got stuck...

1 minute ago, YNM said:

How often are they planning to record audios from the surface ? I'm honestly wondering now if the microphone is actually the one worth more than the cost by a large margin because that's a serious troubleshoot resource if any. Stuck motors ? Check the sound. Stuck mechanism ? Check the sound. Stuck in a rock ? Check the sound of how it got stuck...

I'll ask around. The only person I know inside JPL works on Curiosity, not Perseverance, but I'm sure she can find out.

7 minutes ago, YNM said:

LOL. Reminds me of the time I took my car to a mechanic who tried to explain to me that he could tell a certain part needed replacing because of a sound. I could tell he expected I was going to not believe him. My job at the time was being a noise engineer, and I professionally diagnosed problems with airplanes based on recorded (and spectrally analyzed) sound.

Edited by mikegarrison

Just now, mikegarrison said:

LOL. Reminds me of the time I took my car to a mechanic and tried to explain to me that they could tell a certain part needed replacing because of a sound. I could tell he expected I was going to not believe him. My job at the time was a noise engineer, and I professionally diagnosed problems with airplanes based on recorded (and spectrally analyzed) sound.

The scientists on the panel have expressed their acknowledgement of this potential, and that they might include a mic as standard equipment on future robots.

Just now, cubinator said:

No love for Venera on that question about audio recording...

Yeah, sadly that was doomed to be disintegrated not long after landing.

But from now on we can expect more audio from Mars, then.