Mars Rover Perseverance Discussion Thread

cubinator

1 hour ago, Klapaucius said:

Wow!  Just...wow!

Same!

I honestly love the inclusion of the equipment to capture this video, its a shame the audio didn't work, but the video alone. Wow.

Its one thing to get still shots, its another to follow perseverance down to the ground in real time.

Truly is a way to provide that "human experience" out among the stars.

1 hour ago, MKI said:

I honestly love the inclusion of the equipment to capture this video, its a shame the audio didn't work, but the video alone. Wow.

Its one thing to get still shots, its another to follow perseverance down to the ground in real time.

I believe the audio worked just fine; they didn't have it downloaded yet.

Unless there's been some other announcement.

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

I believe the audio worked just fine; they didn't have it downloaded yet.

Unless there's been some other announcement.

They said in the presser today that they thought it was probably some kind of issue between the device that digitized the analog signal and the computer. I don't know if that means they can't scrap the sound back together or if it just didn't save to the computer.

5 hours ago, YNM said:

How often are they planning to record audios from the surface ? I'm honestly wondering now if the microphone is actually the one worth more than the cost by a large margin because that's a serious troubleshoot resource if any. Stuck motors ? Check the sound. Stuck mechanism ? Check the sound. Stuck in a rock ? Check the sound of how it got stuck...

Per my source anything they want to record will need to be programmed in advance. It won't be just sort of casually/passively listening.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Titan has an atmosphere to conduct sound.

Mars is nearly a vacuum.

I'm not sure what you are saying. Mars certainly has sound.

By the way, audio has been put on the web.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-mars-perseverance-rover-provides-front-row-seat-to-landing-first-audio

55 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I'm about quality.

And about sound in air vs sound through ground, like here.

Technically snakes are deaf. But they could listen on Mars as well as on Earth. Because they listen by touch.

Edited by kerbiloid

5 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I think he meant it was more that sound would not be heard or transmitted well in the near vacuum subjectively. Meaning if you took off your helmet and the wind was blowing you'd not hear much of anything.

Just now, kerbiloid said:

This sound is probably heard snakely, from the ground vibration.

I don't think so. Listen to the wind sound. We know the pressure associated with that sound is incredibly low, what makes more sense, that the wind (almost no pressure) vibrates a thin microphone membrane, or the same wind vibrates the rover itself, or the ground?

A human there of course might not detect anything.

(aside from his own gasping for air ;) )

3 hours ago, tater said:

I think he meant it was more that sound would not be heard or transmitted well in the near vacuum subjectively. Meaning if you took off your helmet and the wind was blowing you'd not hear much of anything.

The clip posted by NASA clearly includes wind-generated turbulence noise. It's quite a distinctive sound.

15 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

The clip posted by NASA clearly includes wind-generated turbulence noise. It's quite a distinctive sound.

And the scientist who unveiled it was speaking into an identical microphone to demonstrate that it records natural sound.

Indeed, if you tried to listen to it on Mars with your bare ears you would mostly just feel pain in your ears, but you might hear and feel a little whoosh against your spacesuit if you were wearing proper Martian attire.

I am curious how well sound is transmitted through the air. Will we be able to hear the helicopter take flight? Could you understand another astronaut speaking to you without their transmitter operating? What does a rocket engine sound like from a distance?