Mars Rover Perseverance Discussion Thread

cubinator

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Meecrob said:

Wow...some of my tax dollars got wasted on that...joke...

Mine too, but considering that should’ve only taken about 5 minutes to ‘shop and post it, I’m sure there are bigger wastes of tax dollars to worry about

Edited by StrandedonEarth
just noticed the autocowreck

8 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Mine too, but considering that should I’ve only taken about 5 minutes to ‘shop and post it, I’m sure there are bigger wastes of tax dollars to worry about

But what about the heap of junk delivered to Mars just to make a picture and photoshop out the Martians?

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

But what about the heap of junk delivered to Mars just to make a picture and photoshop out the Martians?

Persy: "Heap of junk? HEAP OF JUNK? *points SuperCam  at kerbiloid* Did you just call me a heap of junk? Let's see what you're made of, or maybe my little buddy Ingenuity here should give you a haircut..."

43 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

Why not video? They've got the cameras for it, I know they do.

Yes pretty sure it shoot video, Purpose of the helicopter to give air recon for the rover. Making it easier to spot interesting things and plan the route. 

On 2/26/2021 at 11:57 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Moving this discussion over here from me getting jiggy with the wrong thread:  Question is, effectively, why they chose this location rather than the canyons to the west of where Viking 1 landed.

Those channels to the west of Viking 1 look like a long-term water feature, and one that would have originated from precipitation at the nearby high elevations... seems to me that if we are looking for evidence of wet Mars / life... a long established watershed feature might be better than what looks like an impact-driven melt/flow that occurred after Mars lost most of its atmosphere (Jezero Crater flow features).

If you click the arrow above - it actually shows the missing colorized altitude graphic that makes it obvious what I'm talking about; Viking's spot was literally almost perfect (good job, humans of so many decades ago!).

On 3/4/2021 at 5:36 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

That was an incredible read.  Thank you! 

Also answered my question above 

'spacecraft orbiting mars have detected carbonate molecules in the area. Carbonate molecules are made when carbon dioxide reacts with water and rocks. This is exciting because, on Earth, carbonate molecules that precipitate out of the water in lakes and oceans are known to trap evidence of microbial life. '

On 4/7/2021 at 2:47 AM, kerbiloid said:
  Reveal hidden contents
Landing site Octavia E. Butler Landing in Jezero crater, 17px-WMA_button2b.png18.4447°N 77.4508°E

18.5 N
77.5 E

Mars_Atlas_by_Giovanni_Schiaparelli_1888

Giovanni_map_mars.jpg

Why did they land it so far from the channels???

@kerbiloidI think I questioned and answered that back on pg 13-ish.

The more permanent channels look like better places - but dem rocks man! 

On 3/4/2021 at 3:52 PM, Brikoleur said:

Very interesting, in-depth article about how Perseverance got to where it is. NASA are clearly better than I am at pinpoint atmospheric landings... and they do it with n-body physics enabled!

https://jalopnik.com/how-nasas-perseverance-landed-on-mars-an-aerospace-eng-1846332411

Here's the quote and link that answered the question!

(This did not edit out quite the way I wanted it: first reply should be Kerbiloid's followed by my rambling and responses.)

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

16 minutes ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

How often can perseverance take pictures of ingenuity and send them to Earth? About two times per minute? Or can it do nearly 1 every five seconds?

I believe it can take lots of pictures in a short timespan. Curiosity took this video:

Downlinking them all will take a while, but we should get so see some kind of video.