Mars Rover Perseverance Discussion Thread

cubinator

40 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

Almost certainly the Ingenuity drone will be followed up by larger and more capable vehicles now that the technology has been proven. But it might be a while before designs are converted into hardware on the moon.

I don't anticipate any quadcopters on the moon.

The challenge for making a bigger Ingenuity is going to be power. Ingenuity uses its solar cells to recharge its battery, but it depends on its battery for its hops. It can do about 90 seconds but you'd need more than 90 seconds of flight time on a larger version. Adding more batteries is going to add more weight which is a vicious cycle for something operating so close to the limit of...well, everything.

The air really isn't dense enough to do anything with a Coanda effect.

About Ingenuity's 4th flight  With Goals Met, NASA to Push Envelope With Ingenuity Mars Helicopter

"Flight Four sets out to demonstrate the potential value of that aerial perspective. The flight test will begin with Ingenuity climbing to an altitude of 16 feet (5 meters) and then heading south, flying over rocks, sand ripples, and small impact craters for 276 feet (84 meters). As it flies, the rotorcraft will use its downward-looking navigation camera to collect images of the surface every 4 feet (1.2 meters) from that point until it travels a total of 436 feet (133 meters) downrange. Then, Ingenuity will go into a hover and take images with its color camera before heading back to Wright Brothers Field."

I'm going to place this here, even though it is not specific to Percy (although the offending article mentions "Rovers").  It does, however, relate to Mars and part of this Mission's purpose.

No, NASA photos are not evidence of fungus growing on Mars, sorry - CNET

I want to also state for the record that this in no way implies criticism of our forum member who linked to the original, apparently peer-reviewed article, in a different thread.  The interesting thing for me is this author's critique of that particular journal - which from outward appearance seems legit; however its been accused of predatory practices and reprinting without permission.  Frankly, I'd be suspicious of anything published by that rag-house.

13 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Ok, they aren't fungi.
But can we eat them?

Ask a pregnant lady. 

(Pica joke)

2 minutes ago, cubinator said:

We've seen frost build up overnight and sublimate in the morning, you might be able to scrape that up off a rock and eat it.

Wouldn't that make your mouth foggy?

(dry ice quip)

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

18 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Wouldn't that make your mouth foggy?

(dry ice quip)

On Earth that's used for artisanal desserts. On Mars it's a simple fact of life.
But the ice is actually mostly water, so maybe it'd be more like Pop Rocks (candies that fizzle with dissolved CO2 in your mouth)

I would never drink the groundwater without proper purification, but if the precipitation is anything like Earth's then I might feel safe licking up some frost if it didn't have any dust or sand in it.

Edited by cubinator

51 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I would never drink the groundwater without proper purification

They pay money for that. It's a mineral water. Whole spas exist thanks to it.

Spoiler

%22Narzan%22_natural_water_spring_in_the1501057626190048552.png

What if it's the first Martian spa.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 4/22/2021 at 9:28 PM, RCgothic said:

Almost certainly the Ingenuity drone will be followed up by larger and more capable vehicles now that the technology has been proven. But it might be a while before designs are converted into hardware on the moon.

Hold your horses, there is no air on the Moon XD

On 4/22/2021 at 10:14 PM, sevenperforce said:

The challenge for making a bigger Ingenuity is going to be power. Ingenuity uses its solar cells to recharge its battery, but it depends on its battery for its hops. It can do about 90 seconds but you'd need more than 90 seconds of flight time on a larger version. Adding more batteries is going to add more weight which is a vicious cycle for something operating so close to the limit of...well, everything.

The air really isn't dense enough to do anything with a Coanda effect.

Could we make rocket-powered tipjet rotor ? Fuel should be methalox...

43 minutes ago, cubinator said:

So many Martian "minerals" are actual poison. I want them out of my water.

In the past people liked lead pipes and lead jars because the water tasted sweeter though...

Edited by YNM

On 4/22/2021 at 4:14 PM, sevenperforce said:

I don't anticipate any quadcopters on the moon.

3 hours ago, YNM said:

Hold your horses, there is no air on the Moon XD

Doh! I meant Mars of course.