Mars Rover Perseverance Discussion Thread

cubinator

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
38 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

on mobile and can’t seem to get a workable link to an image…

Heh - that is one of the frustrating 'features' of this forum!

Edit:  I missed this during my first read through: 

"The atmosphere of Mars is far more variable than Earth," Hoffman explained. "The density of the air can vary by a factor of two through the year,

8o

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

the canning plant for Perri-Air…

A bowl of petunias.

34 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

"The atmosphere of Mars is far more variable than Earth," Hoffman explained. "The density of the air can vary by a factor of two through the year,

Back to the Martian balloons topic.

• 1 month later...

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nasa-and-esa-agree-on-next-steps-to-return-mars-samples-to-earth

NASA has selected the dropzone for the sample capsules when they get filled.

P.S.
When anyone needs them after landing there and having seen the several kilometer wide place full of the rover tracks and drill holes.
Of course, they will need the century-old capsules, instead of taking a shovel and digging his own ones.

52 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Asking here since it's the most relevant thread i could find, does anyone have an idea on when the MSR launch vehicle should be selected roughly? I couldn't find any info online, not even on when the Mars rovers launchers were chosen

Viking was funded in 1969 and launched in 75. The Titan III was officially confirmed as an LV in 1970.

I’m unaware of the exact date “MSR” (which seems to be the program’s name for now) really kicked off. As late as 2019 it was still a mere proposal, and only this year did Lockheed get the contract for the Mars Ascent Vehicle. It’s a rather hodge podge affair, but I suppose that is how you fund a space program.

The MAV launches in 2028. Assuming it kicked off in 2021, we should know next year.

I assume you mean the MAV one because the ESA Earth return tug/mothership/probe is already planned to launch on Ariane 6.

• 4 weeks later...

If you have cone cells of two kinds (orange and blue), why not.

Notice the sky color looking rather not natural.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2981558/Forget-dress-colour-MARS-people-say-planet-blue-green-pink-red.html

Also google for the US flag emblem on the Martian rovers. In reality it has standard colors, so the colors can be restored with Photoshop color tools.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_States#Colors

Edited by kerbiloid