[1.11.x] Corelian - A new home for Dres

WarriorSabe

CORELIAN - 1.0.5 RELEASE
A new home for Dres

The system:

This mod adds a new ringed gas giant, the eponymous Corelian, to the Kerbal system. It sits right where Dres used to, though with less inclination and eccentricity to make it less inconvenient to travel to.
The worlds:

• Corelian: A pink, ringed gas giant a bit smaller than Jool. 4700km in radius with a gravity of 0.84g; 64% the mass of Jool
  • Thale: a dense, lumpy, Pol-sized body with a fast rotation rate and a close, somewhat irregular orbit. Baseline radius of 52km, with some areas nearly 30km above that. Baseline gravity of 0.113g, though near the highest points on the equator the apparent gravity can be as low as 0.012g due to a combination of elevation and spin rate
  • Pras: a rocky, barren world between Duna and Laythe in size. It has a relatively thin but oxygenated atmosphere, at datum it's 26% of Kerbin's sea level pressure and only 173 kelvins (-100 degrees celsius) in temperature. Radius of 391km, gravity of 0.37g
  • Atraxi: a rocky, Mun-sized world with a relatively high density and large canyons on its surface. Radius of 213km, gravity of 0.246g
  • Dres: the same Dres as before, just now orbiting Corelian with its same eccentricity and inclination. Rotated so that Corelian is visible from the Dres Canyon

The mod:

Requires Kopernicus Continued. For 1.8.1, instead use the original Kopernicus, and set useAtraxiScatters to false in the settings config.  There are no other dependencies apart from those of Kopernicus/Kopernicus Continued, but several mods are supported: 

• Resource configs for Community Resource Pack and Rational Resources
  • Radiation, resource configs, and science reports for Kerbalism
  • Scatterer atmospheres
  • Science reports for SCANSat, SSPXr, and DMagic Orbital Science
  • Configs for Planetshine and Distant Object Enhancement
  • Jool re-patch and tested stability for Principia
  • And a reparenting for if you decide to use this with Beyond Home despite the clashing styles

Download:

From Spacedock
(yes, this mod has actually been around for a while. I just now decided to take a break from developing my next, much bigger mod to give it a touch-up and proper release)

From Github

Screenshots:

Spoiler

SDpM2qD.png

Ion probe decelerating over Thale

h7QR7KL.png

Mobile base on the rim of one of Pras's craters at sunset, all other moons visible

Lj24oeR.png

Space station orbiting Atraxi, Pras visible in front of Corelian

p2Z4i9k.png

Lander on the edge of the Dres Canyon, Pras visible in front of Corelian and Atraxi in the distance behind it

Edited by WarriorSabe
New update

4 hours ago, Drupegod02 said:

Does this have any visual mods or delta v map?

It has Scatterer, but idk how to use EVE well enough so not that.

As for the dV, your Kerbin ejection will be the same as for Dres (just with less of an inclination change), but I haven't gotten the rest of the values together

• 3 weeks later...

The gas giant Corelian still has its day/night display offset by 90 degrees. All other bodies are correct.

Do you need a log to examine, or is this actually a known problem? I can’t seem to access my laptop now so a log and screenshots may be provided some time in the future.

2 hours ago, AllenLi said:

The gas giant Corelian still has its day/night display offset by 90 degrees. All other bodies are correct.

Do you need a log to examine, or is this actually a known problem? I can’t seem to access my laptop now so a log and screenshots may be provided some time in the future.

I think that may be an issue with a missing normal which I think has affected gas giants in the later ksp versions.  WarriorSabe may have a better solution, but if you are on 1.9.1 (or the experimental 1.10.1), you could try adding normals = Kopernicus/Textures/generic_nm.dds after line 43 in Corelian/Bodies/Corelian/Corelian.cfg

21 hours ago, AllenLi said:

I'll have to fix that later tonight or tomorrow; the problem didn't exist when I last updated it to 1.9, so it's probably due to a newer version of KopC than the one that was out when I did that.

@hemeac's solution will probably work in the meantime though

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Took a quick break from working on EoE to update this. It seems it already worked in 1.11, but some fixes kop-side and a Scatterer discovery I made earlier meant I could bring back ring shadows - both the shadow on the rings, and with Scatterer the shadow on the planet. I also transposed DMOS magnetometer reports into stock magnetometer reports.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Very nice. I just loaded it with KSP 1.12.3 and Principia and timewarped 30 years to make sure it was stable. 

What does it do with the Dres asteroids? Kopernicus has a setting for asteroids:

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/issues/503

I changed it from "true" to "stock" because I'm using Spectra and it does not handle asteroids, so there are no asteroids/ comets at all with "true". With "stock" I'm not sure what will happen because Dres moved. 

11 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

What does it do with the Dres asteroids?

I haven't modified them, but in testing it appears they generate in the general vicinity of Dres, just a bit outside of its SOI so they're orbiting Corelian on similar paths

• 3 months later...

I know this this has already been somewhat answered, but is there any chance Pras will get the EVE treatment in future?  I think this is a great planet mod, but would love to see some clouds on Corelian and Pras.

But I suppose there's nothing wrong with Pras having clear skies if it lacks the water vapour for cloud formation. Which would make sense given the low temperatures, too low to start a runaway greenhouse effect and kickstart a weather system, and the math closely checks out given it's surface albedo, distance from the sun and the sun's luminosity.

Although I do suppose some thin wispy high altitude icy cirrus clouds would make the most sense and would be a cool addition kinda thing.

One could suppose the presence of oxygen is largely due to photolysis of ice, with the hydrogen being lost to space.  Although the Molar Mass provided in the config file would still seem to suggest the presence of predominantly Nitrogen however. So possibly Cometary in origin?

The moon is also surprisingly cratered given the thickness of the atmosphere, which might point to the atmosphere being a recent addition without enough time for significant erosion, and given that the moon is likely geologically dead it's surface isn't undergoing renewal.

Just my thoughts.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.