Shadow Flickering Problem

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I have the same problem - annoying shadow flickering.

I tried:
- change my resolution 2560/1440
- change vertical sync
- change fps limit
- install and uninstall graphic mods. To clarify, the shadow problem appears in a clean KSP without mods
- change fullscreen / window
- use the -force-d3d11 launch option
- reinstall the game
- use geforce experience optimal settings. I have - rtx 2060 super
- just turn off the shadows and it kind of works, fixes big black lines, but leaves shadows flickering. It's on the my video

My "shadow flickering" issue video

Just reporting the same problem here.

Totally fresh install of KSP with no mods. I also have a clean install of the latest Nvidia driver with its default settings.

rwPvlcZ.png

Private Division tech support informed me they have seen this problem before on Nvidia GPUs but they don't as yet have a fix.

My card is  GTX 1070 TI. I can see that others have RTX series cards with the same issue, so it isn't a GPU hardware based issue. Guys what are your other system specs?

I've reported this problem over on the KSP issue tracker - issue 25992 - I suggest you visit the page and vote it up, add your own pictures, logs, system specs etc.

Until this is resolved I'll not be playing the game as it's too distracting.

Edited by rextable
additional info added

Chaps - I've found a temporary solution. 

The latest version of Scatterer has a fix for the very issue described in this thread. Downloading and installing that mod fixes the shadow flickering completely, and you get lovely atmospheric scattering to boot. Obviously this isn't a solution for those who wish to play the game completely stock but for those of us who can't live with this bug, Scatterer is pretty much mandatory for the time being.

5 hours ago, rextable said:

Chaps - I've found a temporary solution. 

The latest version of Scatterer has a fix for the very issue described in this thread. Downloading and installing that mod fixes the shadow flickering completely, and you get lovely atmospheric scattering to boot. Obviously this isn't a solution for those who wish to play the game completely stock but for those of us who can't live with this bug, Scatterer is pretty much mandatory for the time being.

I posted in your bug report, how heavy is scatterer?

I fear for my frames lol

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 4:01 AM, Boyster said:

I posted in your bug report, how heavy is scatterer?

I fear for my frames lol

The latest version of Scatterer is much improved performance wise. Scatterer has a menu in the KSC toolbar with options to disable its various effects. If your FPS does get eaten, you can always disable the atmosphere and/or water effects and just keep the shadow flicker fix. I believe there's a specific on/off switch for this. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by rextable
typo fix

8 hours ago, rextable said:

The latest version of Scatterer is much improved performance wise. Scatterer has a menu in the KSC toolbar with options to disable its various effects. If you do get eaten, you can always disable the atmosphere and/or water effects and just keep the shadow flicker fix. I believe there's a specific on/off switch for this. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok you convinced me, i am gonna give it a try, i miss KSP and i see no news of a patch coming soon.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SpaceNerd4 said:

I am having the same problem, just downloaded 1 hr ago and using no mods, on GTX 1070.

The Scatterer mod creator said he fixed it with 4 lines of code and he submitted the fix to the devs.

Hopefully next patch will be fixed for us that want to avoid visual mods, main reason is the perfomance cost, the mod is great though and you can turn many features off ingame to make it lighter.

Edited by Boyster

• 2 weeks later...

Same here! No matter what I try! It stops my KSP stream on Twitch.tv/Justadutchguy and getting to film my ISS for the twitter challenge. What is going on!? This is the worst! On both the 1070 GTX and 970 GTX ! https://streamable.com/na7037

Checked everything on my pc both hard&Software.

And its so low on their fix list I don't understand?
The Immersion is totally gone and I can't stream it on my channel in this state.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/25992

Edited by Justadutchguy
Extra information

On 11/2/2020 at 5:46 AM, Zenric said:

Go to graphic setting in title menu and turn off celestial bodies casting self-shadows and that fixed it for me.

On 11/9/2020 at 12:56 PM, fragtzack said:

Confirm "Turning Off Celestial Bodies Casting Self Shadows" fixed issue for me also.

Oh i never tried turning off that setting, i ll test it next time i launch....i totally missed that option, tnx...

Heres the fix to this problem:

In the settings.cfg file find these settings and make sure they all = 1.

SHADOWS_FLIGHT_PROJECTION = 1
SHADOWS_KSC_PROJECTION = 1
SHADOWS_TRACKING_PROJECTION = 1
SHADOWS_EDITORS_PROJECTION = 1
SHADOWS_MAIN_PROJECTION = 1
SHADOWS_DEFAULT_PROJECTION = 1

18 hours ago, Boyster said:

Sadly this did not fix the issue for me...

I can also confirm this had no effect for me...

However, the fix posted by Anth12, above, DID wor for me...
I tested it with the Celestial Shadows setting both on/off, with no efect...

However #2, I also have a questionably modded install, and non-default/tweaked settings for *other* graphics settings...

Someone should really test this on a fresh, stock install, with all *default* graphics settings, to help verify/troubleshoot this...

Also, as was just pointed out to me by a much respected modder, there could very well be unintended consequences of this *easy* fix... so it should be tested moar thoroughly.

I also thought it seems inda weird, that such a "simple" fix, could have been overlooked by Squad, since this has been raised on the bugtracer... vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

6 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

I also thought it seems inda weird, that such a "simple" fix, could have been overlooked by Squad, since this has been raised on the bugtracer... vOv

Hopefully it will come in 1.11 with all the other goodies,

i agree on that, the creator of Scatterer mod did fix it and provided how he did it to Squad so crossing fingers for the next patch.

13 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

So, was it moar involved than just the settings fix posted above by Anth12?

I think Anth12 most likely took the solution from the Scatterer mod because its creator did say its only couple lines to fix it.

I am not touching those settings though until next patch because i have no idea, as you said, what effect it will have in the general install, frame drops etc.

Edited by Boyster

7 hours ago, Boyster said:

I think Anth12 most likely took the solution from the Scatterer mod because its creator did say its only couple lines to fix it.

I am not touching those settings though until next patch because i have no idea, as you said, what effect it will have in the general install, frame drops etc.

Yeah, but a couple lines of *code*, or lines in a config... there's a big difference :P

Also, I, and this respected modder I spoke to, after not much in-depth testing, now see weird changes/effects on ground shadows, especially when zooming in/out. So it preliminarily, looks lie, the fix posted above, might fix one problem, but can cause at least one other. vOv For me, so far, its not game-breaking... so we'll see, I guess.

Edited by Stone Blue

6 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

So it preliminarily, looks lie, the fix posted above, might fix one problem, but can cause at least one other.

I mean i admire and appreciate every community effort to fix things but sometimes you have to accept that you didn't find the correct fix if its causing more troubles than the original problem.

Edited by Boyster

Nope... not scatterer.

EJ_SA who streams KSP on twitch said a few months ago that he has never had the issue and I have never seen him have the problem.

I know he upgrades his KSP, doesn't do clean installs and have seen him still use old keybinds that Squad have changed since, so I concluded it was because of something in the settings.cfg that was different.

So I compared the 1.7.3 settings.cfg to the 1.10.1 settings.cfg and found the difference.

19 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

EJ_SA who streams KSP on twitch said a few months ago that he has never had the issue and I have never seen him have the problem.

He probably have his settings.cfg edited,

i do wonder though if some people just don't encounter this problem since i am not seeing many replies in posts like this one.

Maybe its gpu related and the newer gpu's don't have this issue.

Most players use ofcourse Scatterer or have edited setting files or they just play in older versions of the game i guess.

Edited by Boyster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.