[WIP] Valor Planet Pack 0.3 [Discontinued]

8 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Not really. I was planning on adding a canyon though... maybe I'll put it in the 0.3 release.

In that case, I have a tip for you.

You can actually create normal maps via GIMP, but they don't show up surface features well and the day/night sides in the map view and from far away are rotated 90 degrees.

So in order to create really nice looking normal maps, I think you should use KittopiaTech. It has a function to export textures for you in the game after you've made your modifications.

Anyways, make sure to go into the texture options tab and set normal strength to 4, sometimes the default value looks weird, and texturedelta to the deformity of your heightmap, and voila, that's how I got the amazing textures for Dindin in JSN.

It's also useful in creating normal maps when you have things like procedural craters, when you export the normal map it adds those in automatically, or other PQS mods.

Cheers and good luck with your mod!

23 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

In that case, I have a tip for you.

You can actually create normal maps via GIMP, but they don't show up surface features well and the day/night sides in the map view and from far away are rotated 90 degrees.

So in order to create really nice looking normal maps, I think you should use KittopiaTech. It has a function to export textures for you in the game after you've made your modifications.

Anyways, make sure to go into the texture options tab and set normal strength to 4, sometimes the default value looks weird, and texturedelta to the deformity of your heightmap, and voila, that's how I got the amazing textures for Dindin in JSN.

It's also useful in creating normal maps when you have things like procedural craters, when you export the normal map it adds those in automatically, or other PQS mods.

Cheers and good luck with your mod!

Ok, I will try that! 

10 hours ago, Lewie said:

@Misguided_Kerbal I have downloaded valor, I cannot wait to check it out!

Great! If you have any screenshots, please share them!

Just as a sidenote, I should warn you: Theta's atmosphere is really annoying :P. Yes, there's oxygen, but the pressure is too low for kerbals to remove their helmets. If you intake spam, though, jet engines will work. Have fun!

10 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Great! If you have any screenshots, please share them!

Just as a sidenote, I should warn you: Theta's atmosphere is really annoying :P. Yes, there's oxygen, but the pressure is too low for kerbals to remove their helmets. If you intake spam, though, jet engines will work. Have fun!

Sure thing!

Now, to change my screenshot hotkey....

it’s actually a bit of a dilemma! I have my modded 1.9.1 save on the laptop, but I can’t take screenshots(as of right now) but I can upload them to imgur. On the pc, I can take screenshots but can’t upload them to imgur.  

I’ll have to change my screenshot key...

Edited by Lewie

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

Sure thing!

Now, to change my screenshot hotkey....

it’s actually a bit of a dilemma! I have my modded 1.9.1 save on the laptop, but I can’t take screenshots(as of right now) but I can upload them to imgur. On the pc, I can take screenshots but can’t upload them to imgur.  

I’ll have to change my screenshot key...

Great!

Well, not great for your dilemma...

Edited by Misguided_Kerbal

45 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Great!

Well, not great for your dilemma...

Yeah, but I accidentally made it a bugger deal then it actually was. 

Now....I shall upload screenshots for The first time...

as soon as I put a station in orbit around Valor!

By the way, @Misguided_Kerbal, I think you should add a few more moons, because only 2 moons and an asteroid dosen't make much of a planet pack IMO.

Anyways, here's a few suggestions on a few more moon ideas:

1. An SSTO land, thick atmosphere, and low gravity make the perfect combination!

2. A moon that may have once been habitable, but is now frozen over (An exmaple would be Niran in Hythara Planet Pack)

3. A moon with awesome views!

4. A moon with some kind of interesting terrain feature to fly around, like a canyon or a mountain (An example would be Desper from Japris Stellar Neighborhood)

5. A moon with interesting terrain, like an egg shaped moon or an extremely hilly moon.

6. A super big moon even bigger than Tylo.

Edited by DunaManiac

19 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

By the way, @Misguided_Kerbal, I think you should add a few more moons, because only 2 moons and an asteroid dosen't make much of a planet pack IMO.

Anyways, here's a few suggestions on a few more moon ideas:

1. An SSTO land, thick atmosphere, and low gravity make the perfect combination!

2. A moon that may have once been habitable, but is now frozen over (An exmaple would be Niran in Hythara Planet Pack)

3. A moon with awesome views!

4. A moon with some kind of interesting terrain feature to fly around, like a canyon or a mountain (An example would be Desper from Japris Stellar Neighborhood)

5. A moon with interesting terrain, like an egg shaped moon or an extremely hilly moon.

6. A super big moon even bigger than Tylo.

Hmmm... good ideas! Maybe the "Super Moon" can be a captured planet.

So, after @DunaManiac  suggested that I should add more moons to the Valor system, I had a brainstorming session. After wracking my brain a bit, I came up with these moons:

Kipper

Huge, reddish moon, with 5 gees of gravity. However, it's extremely dense (probably denser than Bonx!) ore concentration makes up for it, and also explains why the gravity is so strong.

Orton

A ocean moon that was frozen over. Scientists speculate that it once orbited between Kerbin and Eve, and was a tropical paradise. 

Binx

Binx's orbit has been changed to a near-polar orbit, further implying that it was a captured asteroid. 

Milo

Milo is back! Milo will orbit extremely close to Valor, so say goodbye to low Valor orbits! It'll (Hopefully) also have a great view, and be tidally locked like Bonx

Any thoughts?

Edited by Misguided_Kerbal

5 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Maybe a rogue planet crashed into it, shifting it's orbit. Then it got captured by Valor. So.... I have to make a giant crater for it.

It would probably be a pretty large collision in order to push it out that far, probably destroying it in the process, and even if it survived it would destroy all evidence of any oceans, but hey, I certaintly like the idea!

Edited by DunaManiac

1 minute ago, DunaManiac said:

It would probably be a pretty large collision in order to push it out that far, probably destroying it in the process, and even if it survived it would destroy all evidence of any oceans, but hey, I certaintly like the idea!

Thanks! Now that I thought more, maybe instead the rogue planet came close enough to shift it's orbit? That seems more likely... ideas.

5 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Thanks! Now that I thought more, maybe instead the rogue planet came close enough to shift it's orbit? That seems more likely... ideas.

It would probably have that pretty big... 

hold on, what if Kipper caused it! 

1 minute ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

nope. Don't really know, but sounds like it has something to do with Ore? It sounds like I need to get them for Bonx and Kipper :P 

I don't know much about them, but I guess you can use them to outline ore concentrations?

3 minutes ago, Nebulagoodies said:

Always wanted a alternitive to OPM that only adds one gas giant, once this gets EVE and Scatterer support I will check it out!

Thanks!

I should have EVE and Scatterer support by 0.4, 0.5 maybe? Which translates to October, maybe November. 

Hey, @Misguided_Kerbal quick question-

I am having trouble with the mod. When I booted up the game, it said it was installed incorrectly and could corrupt the save file. What I hd done was pasted the folder inside the ksp game date folder, am I doing something wrong? (Also, when I checked for it on ckan, I couldn’t find it)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.