3rd/4th gen Aerial Brawl (FAR + BDAc)

2 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

Yeah I think it greatly depends on the energy and trajectory of both the plane and the missile and precisely where the flares end up. Missiles can definitely end up re-locking a target after the flares go off, depending on how much heat and stuff the ship is making. The actual way BDA computes missile locks is super complicated but suffice to say you usually need a combination of speed, flares, a strong maneuver that the missile has to compensate for, and sudden flipping of direction. I'm not entirely sure spamming a bunch of flares in different directions is the most efficient thing though.

I am not sure if you have heard about ASCU, but those guys are the most knowledgeable in the field of BDAc dogfights. 

But anyway how can I improve effectiveness of flares? Dumping 1 in every direction ensures that your plane is covered by flares no matter how you maneuver.

Edited by Xd the great

10 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

I am not sure if you have heard about ASCU, but those guys are the most knowledgeable in the field of BDAc dogfights. 

But anyway how can I improve effectiveness of flares? Dumping 1 in every direction ensures that your plane is covered by flares no matter how you maneuver.

I think you'd be better to concentrate them and also not solely rely on them for evading missiles. Also it does seem like having 16 countermeasures or something is rather costly if it's not all that much more effective.

Flares work by generating a 'thermal score', for lack of better phrase, that is a random value between 0.65x and 1.75x of current vessel temperature. Heatseeker targeting code looks to see if there is a flare within the sensor cone, then does some math based on flare current temperature, distance and the detection angle that modifies the thermal score. if the final score is +/- 10% of target vessel temperature, the heatseeker will lock onto the flare.
More flares help, true, but being able to get out of the immediate area, be it maneuverability or speed, is still a large part of it, because the engine temp value the flares are being compared to is also modified by detection angle and distance.
That, and missiles can only turn so many degrees per second - moving out the space they can reach guarantees a miss.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there !

I'm currently organizing my own BDAc tournament and this version comes in handy !

But there is some stuff that I really do not understand :

1) What is the "IT" that appears ? It looks like when a craft kill another one, then the whole other crafts make it a priority target, until one of theses others crafts manage to get a hit to this commun target and become the Priority Target.

While it's interesting, I would really would like to avoid this, is there anyway to deactivate this functionnality ?

2) Having log of the battle is crazy ! But I'm not sure to understand what each lines mean and is there is some easy way to deal with like, import it in Excel or whatever.

Please I would really be happy if you can help me :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2020 at 12:53 AM, Dakitess said:

Hi there !

I'm currently organizing my own BDAc tournament and this version comes in handy !

But there is some stuff that I really do not understand :

1) What is the "IT" that appears ? It looks like when a craft kill another one, then the whole other crafts make it a priority target, until one of theses others crafts manage to get a hit to this commun target and become the Priority Target.

While it's interesting, I would really would like to avoid this, is there anyway to deactivate this functionnality ?

2) Having log of the battle is crazy ! But I'm not sure to understand what each lines mean and is there is some easy way to deal with like, import it in Excel or whatever.

Please I would really be happy if you can help me :)

You can try other versions of BDAc, such as the runway version.

The log does little, but debug labels help a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Steven Kerman said:

it said that all mods were optional, can airplane plus be used?

Sadly I have a habit of challenge abandonment due to IRL circumstances. As such, this challenge has been inactive for months.

Also if I or anyone else starts up a new BDA challenge, I highly recommend the Runway Project version of BDAc. AI behavior is more controllable and there are a lot of other nice features.

Edited by Pds314

• 2 weeks later...

On another note, before I do anything else, does anybody know why aircraft tend to enter spins when using the BDa AI with FAR? It doesn't just happen with mine (which I seem to have fixed somehow, maybe it was adding the control surfaces on the front of wings) but with some of the others in this thread. Also, would pre-coolers be allowed? I'm just playing around with this ruleset since it seems fun.

Edit: I saw pre-coolers on some of the other craft, so I'm assuming they're fair game.

Edited by MostExcellent

3 hours ago, MostExcellent said:

On another note, before I do anything else, does anybody know why aircraft tend to enter spins when using the BDa AI with FAR? It doesn't just happen with mine (which I seem to have fixed somehow, maybe it was adding the control surfaces on the front of wings) but with some of the others in this thread. Also, would pre-coolers be allowed? I'm just playing around with this ruleset since it seems fun.

Edit: I saw pre-coolers on some of the other craft, so I'm assuming they're fair game.

I don't think precoolers are all that powerful.

Regarding spins: roll or yaw instability at high angles of attack can be an issue. The AI can sometimes pull up very hard and enter a state where roll and yaw coupling become an issue. I recommend big vertically stabilizers, V tails, T tails, and dihedral to deal with this. I would also recommend looking at the stability derivatives for your plane at whatever mach will give you a 25 degree AOA.

Edited by Pds314

On 7/30/2020 at 8:20 PM, Pds314 said:

Due to more high tech engines being more expensive and advanced, and legacy engines being cheaper and lower tech, engines cost their maximum nominal static thrust in kN, times the square of their thrust limiter setting.

I'm still confused on how to calculate the point cost of an engine 

2 hours ago, Rocket_man1234 said:

I'm still confused on how to calculate the point cost of an engine 

So say you have a Goliath? 360 kN max static thrust. If you set the thrust limiter to 30%, that's 0.3*0.3*360 = 32.4 points.

Please do not make a new entry though. It would be better if someone started a new challenge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.