5 hours ago, Lewie said:

Dadgumit, we still are gonna call it Zaroun! :wink:

And I thought Puf was not the official name

Actually I just found Shadow Zone said it was official

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

And I thought Puf was not the official name

Actually I just found Shadow Zone said it was official

It’ll always be EyeballMcballyFace to me...

or Zaroun. Both are pretty great names!

Just watched Shadowzone's vid.  nice video guys. 
I hope that eyeball planet is tidally locked around a pair of self orbiting smaller M-Class dwarfs. That would make for an awesome experience (provided the planet isn't as annoying as Eve as fa as gravity is concerned)
The Tidaly Locked component will make it a nice challenge to explore the dark side... Needing more lights(tm) and some sort of very large RTG (or generator if those exists in KSP2).  Just my type of thing to do.

Also that "Yawning Female Kerbal" looks absolutely gorgeous.  I am so making one of my "fabulous 7" crew look exactly like her (Yeah I like to have 7 crew on my big ships, 2 of each + an extra of some kind, depending on the mission. Tho I wonder if we'll have more classes in KSP2, ummmm…. might need a bigger starship)
Hard to think the game is only in alpha, as it's looking absolutely amazing already (tho the ships feel too shiny imho)
Keep up the good work, and don't take any shortcuts... Slow and steady wins the race (well, just dont take 10 years like some other games, lol !)

I like what I see !

9 hours ago, Francois424 said:

I hope that eyeball planet is tidally locked around a pair of self orbiting smaller M-Class dwarfs. 

The Tidaly Locked component will make it a nice challenge to explore the dark side... steady wins the race (well, just dont take 10 years like some other games, lol !)

So many people want it to be tidally locked, but as it is, it has polar ice caps, which indicates that it is not tidally locked to a star.

It could be a moon of a gas giant, I suppose (I'd rather not though), and tidally locked to the gas giant.

21 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

So many people want it to be tidally locked, but as it is, it has polar ice caps, which indicates that it is not tidally locked to a star.

It could be a moon of a gas giant, I suppose (I'd rather not though), and tidally locked to the gas giant.

I've noticed ice caps in a "doughnut" shape around the water, which imho would be consistent of being locked. 
Tho typically these planets are depicted with a desert on the pole pointing sunwards switching to a wet band near the separator, and all the ice on the last third-to-half of the globe.
This one would be further away from it's star, and have the wet area at the pole pointing at the sun, immediately followed by ice.

Whatever it is, it's exciting ! :) 

2 hours ago, Francois424 said:

I've noticed ice caps in a "doughnut" shape around the water, which imho would be consistent of being locked. 

I see no such thing, and the earlier video of this planet disproves this

Concentric rings around the body of water point to this being a large impact crater, not not due to tidal locking. Also, If it were tidally locked I believe the water would need to be surrounded by ice suggesting if it weren't tidally locked it would be an ice world

37 minutes ago, Entropian said:

If it was tidally locked, wouldn't the water on the dayside get evaporated over time?  I would expect that any liquid water would have to exist on the terminator.

Well, a potential problem with tidally locked planets and habitability, is that all the water would tend to get locked up in permanent glaciers on the dark side.

If the atmosphere isn't thick enough to start, a similar thing can happen and cause atmosphere to collapse.

CO2 freezes on the dark side if it gets as cold as it does on Mars... and then nitrogen can follow... And you have no atmosphere, just ices on the dark side

18 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Well, a potential problem with tidally locked planets and habitability, is that all the water would tend to get locked up in permanent glaciers on the dark side.

If the atmosphere isn't thick enough to start, a similar thing can happen and cause atmosphere to collapse.

CO2 freezes on the dark side if it gets as cold as it does on Mars... and then nitrogen can follow... And you have no atmosphere, just ices on the dark side

As I understand its limited how high glaciers get as as they get too high say 3-4 km on earth the air contains little water. Inland on Antarctica is an desert. 
Now co2 freezing out, could easy see that happens however

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

As I understand its limited how high glaciers get as as they get too high say 3-4 km on earth the air contains little water. 

If there is any water on the light side, some will evaporate until there is enough water in the atmosphere to reach equilibrium (when the water vapor pressure in the atmosphere equals the vapor pressure from the water).

If there is water vapor in the atmosphere, it will spread to the dark side. If it spreads to the dark side, it will condense and freeye.

All water would end up on the far side as glaciers.

3 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

If there is any water on the light side, some will evaporate until there is enough water in the atmosphere to reach equilibrium (when the water vapor pressure in the atmosphere equals the vapor pressure from the water).

If there is water vapor in the atmosphere, it will spread to the dark side. If it spreads to the dark side, it will condense and freeye.

All water would end up on the far side as glaciers.

Now both Greenland, the south pole and the ice cap during the ice age had an height limit because of this. yes its snow falling on the edges, but the edges flow out into the ocean. 
Now if you had little water at the start that is an serious issue as it could eat more water than the Atlantic. 
But if you has lots of water and an thick atmosphere you should get lots of air hearing the cold zone. 
another issue is wobble, the moon is not perfectly locked to the earth, you will probably get an twilight zone 

17 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Now both Greenland, the south pole and the ice cap during the ice age had an height limit because of this. yes its snow falling on the edges, but the edges flow out into the ocean. 

Yea, but we're talking half the planet's surface area. Sure we can have glacier from the dark side flowing to the terminator/light side, and then melting. In that case, you expect the seas/lakes to be around the terminator, not the side facing the sun.

As you note, the amount of water does matter... but you could get a whole lot locked up on the dark side.

You could also have a thick atmosphere, somewhere between Earth and Venus, then it won't even freeze on the dark side...

But as shown, that planet should not be tidally locked

On 7/31/2020 at 1:34 PM, Starhelperdude said:

Does this crater reach it's parents core? if yes, we could make accurate mesaurments of the core and take surface samples from it, which whould be cool/would bring many sience points

also death star/mimas?!

Just discovered it, and Puf is already my new favorite planet.

I really hope the yawn @ 0:45 makes it into the final game.  It brings a whole boredom dynamic into the game.  Imagine... after 2 years (because you are still learning about launch windows) you finally arrive at Duna safely and feeling pretty good about yourself only to have Val yawn as she exits the craft, implying that your lack of good planning has been noticed.  It is a new kind of fail. In a perverse way, I like it.

PS. Great choice of music.

Edited by Klapaucius

• 1 month later...

EVERYONE!!!! I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT TO MAKE... TODAY ISSSSSSSS FRIIIDAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!

Ok now where is "show and tell"? 

I've been waiting on this one lol

*Kerbals tremble in fear...

Edited by Vanamonde
Don't get carried away with joke formatting, please.