Understanding coordinates and finding a good landing spot

Now KSP has recently added the ability to cheat something on the surface which has proven to be very useful when testing my new Eve lander. But I decided it would be great to be able to find a landing spot that's above 6000 meters and is flat and I found it (all be it I don't know if it's still up to date)

Now the main problem I have is that the thing is converted into degrees while the cheats are used in latitude to longitude.

Now I do understand a good amount about Lat. and Long. but what I don't understand is how to convert it. Can someone help me convert these coordinates into Lat and Long or give a good rundown on doing so. 

Edit: It looks like now I need to find a new launch site available after 1.2 Here is what I am using to find launch sites

Eve_Biome_Map_1.2.png

Thanks in advance

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Now KSP has recently added the ability to cheat something on the surface which has proven to be very useful when testing my new Eve lander. But I decided it would be great to be able to find a landing spot that's above 6000 meters and is flat and I found it (all be it I don't know if it's still up to date)

vvN5ivF.jpg

(credit @magnemoe all the way from 2013)

Now the main problem I have is that the thing is converted into degrees while the cheats are used in latitude to longitude.

Now I do understand a good amount about Lat. and Long. but what I don't understand is how to convert it. Can someone help me convert these coordinates into Lat and Long or give a good rundown on doing so. 

Thanks in advance

Are they not the same? except that you don't have negative latitude and longitudes and they might use decimals instead of minutes and seconds, minutes is 0-60 so multiplying minutes with 1.67 give you two decimal accuracy. 

However I suspect the hugest point on Eve has changed, its more south and has an biome called olympus. 

And that is an old school Eve lander :) 
Looks like it has an top drop tank even. 

Edited by magnemoe

8 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Can someone help me convert these coordinates into Lat and Long or give a good rundown on doing so. 

It's really quite easy. There is 60 minutes in a degree, and 60 seconds in a minute, or 3600 seconds in a degree.

2° 49' 35"  -> 2 + (49 / 60) + (35 / 3600) -> 2.8263888

With that example, I trust you can compute the longitude yourself.

2 hours ago, Laie said:

It's really quite easy. There is 60 minutes in a degree, and 60 seconds in a minute, or 3600 seconds in a degree.

2° 49' 35"  -> 2 + (49 / 60) + (35 / 3600) -> 2.8263888

With that example, I trust you can compute the longitude yourself.

7 hours ago, peteletroll said:

Maybe you need something like this: https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/dms-decimal

Thanks!

7 hours ago, magnemoe said:

And that is an old school Eve lander :) 
Looks like it has an top drop tank even. 

Yeah found it after scavenging the internet for a while of good locations for smaller Eve landers went all the way back to the 2013 days. Funny how I was waiting since 2015 for KSP to release on 3DS but then got it on PC in 2018...

Okay so if I am getting this right (equation wise):

A° B' C'' = A+(B/60)+(C/3600)

so that would mean

188° 33' 19" -> 188.555277778

Well time to check if the location is still by means at 6500 meters.

2 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

If anyone is curious:

Looks like the Launchpad on Kerbin. Your math is right: on Eve, this tales me to a pretty flat area at 2700m elevation. That's a wide plateau and IMO a good site, but if you're looking for higher elevantions.... hold on.

Remember the Eve Rocks challenge? Submission with recognizable coordinates have been marked, but all the links are broken. Anyhoo, this one might be just what you're looking for:

6Ge7Wgf.jpg

@astrobond landed on a tall peak, took a glider down to the beach, then dropped the wings and drove all the way back on a tiny rover. That was rad, and even today the submission is worth a look.

I just checked, the place still exists: Lat -25, Lon -158.45 will be good enough to have a look, though you may want to refine it a little before landing anything tall.

Edited by Laie

3 minutes ago, Laie said:

Looks like the Launchpad on Kerbin. Your ccordinates on eve (yes, you math is right) lead to a pretty flat area at 2700m elevation. That's a wide plateau and IMO a good site, but if you're looking for higher elevantions.... hold on.

I marked the Eve Rocks submission by who left recognizable coordinates (not many did), this one might be just what you're looking for:

I just checked, the place still exists: Lat -25, Lon -158.45 will be good enough to have a look, though you may want to refine it a little before landing anything tall.

I know the location well it's that it's extremely difficult to land there due to it being a small location with a very steep slope adjacent, meaning it would take many tries to land there correctly (I have the feeling this will become a montage).

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I know the location well it's that it's extremely difficult to land there due to it being a small location with a very steep slope adjacent, meaning it would take many tries to land there correctly (I have the feeling this will become a montage).

Use control surfaces. Airbrakes. In Eve's soup it doesn't take much to give you a couple thousand meters of crossrange capability. Here I'm doing a pretty accurate landing using asymmetrically deployed droges (which give me a tilt, hence sideways motion) and rolling the vessel to get to my preferred spot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.