should i get KSP or should i stick with Simple Rockets?

simplerockets2

I think most of the people here would say KSP.  These are the KSP forums, after all.

I haven't played SR2 in quite some time, and the only thing I liked about SR2 over KSP was that they really like procedural parts.  However I couldn't stand the UI.  Overall the game, which probably isn't bad, just didn't set well with me as a KSP player.  I might have seen KSP the same way as I see SR2 now had I started with SR2, however.

If you've only got the budget for one, then I say still get both.  KSP is frequently on sale for $10 USD (~$27 for the game + both DLCs), and I personally got SR2 on a sale.  If you're patient, you could likely get both games for less than KSP at normal price.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

I think most of the people here would say KSP.  These are the KSP forums, after all.

I haven't played SR2 in quite some time, and the only thing I liked about SR2 over KSP was that they really like procedural parts.  However I couldn't stand the UI.  Overall the game, which probably isn't bad, just didn't set well with me as a KSP player.  I might have seen KSP the same way as I see SR2 now had I started with SR2, however.

If you've only got the budget for one, then I say still get both.  KSP is frequently on sale for $10 USD (~$27 for the game + both DLCs), and I personally got SR2 on a sale.  If you're patient, you could likely get both games for less than KSP at normal price.

OK. i would have to ask my parents about this.  

Short answer: yes

Long answer: I've been a gamer for about 30 years, and I've played more KSP than any other single title in my entire life. That speaks volumes to how good this game is. Sure I have some criticisms, but only because it's my favorite game and I continue to care about it.

2 hours ago, Xavven said:

Long answer: I've been a gamer for about 30 years, and I've played more KSP than any other single title in my entire life. That speaks volumes to how good this game is. Sure I have some criticisms, but only because it's my favorite game and I continue to care about it.

nice hear some insight.

8 hours ago, simplerockets2 said:

i have a computer capable of both. im wondering wich one i should get. im new here and i would like your help getting started.

If you cant get both then get KSP.

It is such a unique game with how you can create your own space program, learn so many things about rockets and space.

KSP will never limit you on how you want to play the game.

You can mess around, you can make a space program, you can create airplanes, boats, submarines, all of them at the same time.

It is whatever you want it to be with no time or complicated steps requirements.

Thats what i like the most, it never forces you on a certain playstyle and never limits you on what you want to do.

Even without mods(most of them are AMAZING) you can literally create the simplest or the most complicated savegames.

Always buy both in things you like but hey sometimes you cant, so i think the best choice here is Kerbal.

If you buy the game i recommend these things for a smoother start:

1)Enable Advanced Tweakables ingame and start using Autostrusts Grandparent in all your builds(It will make your crafts very strong and tight together)

2)Mods: Mechjeb to get an ''assistant'' of how you can play the game

You can always ask in these forums or you google a bit more to get more info.

Edited by Boyster

9 hours ago, Boyster said:

It is such a unique game with how you can create your own space program, learn so many things about rockets and space.

You can mess around, you can make a space program, you can create airplanes, boats, submarines, all of them at the same time.

It is whatever you want it to be with no time or complicated steps requirements.

Thats what i like the most, it never forces you on a certain playstyle and never limits you on what you want to do.

Even without mods(most of them are AMAZING) you can literally create the simplest or the most complicated savegames.

Always buy both in things you like but hey sometimes you cant, so i think the best choice here is Kerbal.

If you buy the game i recommend these things for a smoother start:

1)Enable Advanced Tweakables ingame and start using Autostrusts Grandparent in all your builds(It will make your crafts very strong and tight together)

2)Mods: Mechjeb to get an ''assistant'' of how you can play the game

You can always ask in these forums or you google a bit more to get more info.

thank you for telling me what you think

• 1 month later...

I think you should get KSP. Or wait for KSP2 because it brings more realism. And it has 3D! Sim0le rockets is flat and you can’t move camera for 3D. It depends on the person. If you like complex stuff go to KSP. If you like more simple or version of rocketry go to Simple Rockets.

It also depends on the person 99.99%. 0.1% is game itself. For choosing.

Just choose what you think is best for you and you won’t regret it.

On 8/2/2020 at 10:32 PM, Boyster said:

[snip...]

And that is also one of the problems I have at times with KSP:  Hmm, what do I want to do now?  It seems best if you have some goal or plan in mind.

4 hours ago, pmoffitt said:

And that is also one of the problems I have at times with KSP:  Hmm, what do I want to do now?  It seems best if you have some goal or plan in mind.

Thats the fascinating thing for me in games like KSP, to create my own goals and plans.

To create a set of rules etc.There are lots of amazing streamers/youtubers out there that can inspire and guide you.

I learned a lot from them and helped revived my interest in KSP multiple times.

Edited by Boyster

Dude, you're asking this in a KSP FORUM. What do you expect, us to go "Yeah this game we've wasted hours upon hours of our lives on is kinda dumpy. You should stick with SR2"? Dude, get KSP. Wait for it to go on sale, or hell, even wait for KSP2 to come out. 

On 9/19/2020 at 10:32 AM, Dr. Kerbal said:

I think you should get KSP. Or wait for KSP2 because it brings more realism. And it has 3D! Sim0le rockets is flat and you can’t move camera for 3D. It depends on the person. If you like complex stuff go to KSP. If you like more simple or version of rocketry go to Simple Rockets.

It also depends on the person 99.99%. 0.1% is game itself. For choosing.

Just choose what you think is best for you and you won’t regret it.

SR2 is 3d. Has some interesting stuff in it too.

Yeah, I like the KSP community, and in my opinion, it is more fun, simple rockets is just :rolleyes:

On 8/2/2020 at 6:07 PM, Geonovast said:

I have to agree, KSP also has something unique. It's partnership with real space agencies and it's real missions. I don't know if sr2 does that, but I'm assuming that they don't. Kerbal also has a "crazy" touch to it which makes it so special. :confused:

On 8/2/2020 at 9:58 PM, Xavven said:

Yeah, KSP is like the only, actually "good" space game out there that I have found in my life. A lot of new games are copying it including spaceflight simulator which, now that I see it, kinda sucks unless you are on vacation because it is on IOS.

See what I mean? Meh.:rolleyes:

On 9/24/2020 at 1:52 PM, Singhnaut said:

Yeah, I like the KSP community, and in my opinion, it is more fun, simple rockets is just :rolleyes:

I have to agree, KSP also has something unique. It's partnership with real space agencies and it's real missions. I don't know if sr2 does that, but I'm assuming that they don't. Kerbal also has a "crazy" touch to it which makes it so special. :confused:

Yeah, KSP is like the only, actually "good" space game out there that I have found in my life. A lot of new games are copying it including spaceflight simulator which, now that I see it, kinda sucks unless you are on vacation because it is on IOS.

See what I mean? Meh.:rolleyes:

I had played the game only a few times when I couldn't play KSP (because my mouse wasn't working) and I can confirm KSP is way better compared to it.

But I think it's decent for a mobile game, most mobile games sucks

On 9/19/2020 at 12:53 PM, Boyster said:

Thats the fascinating thing for me in games like KSP, to create my own goals and plans.

To create a set of rules etc.There are lots of amazing streamers/youtubers out there that can inspire and guide you.

I learned a lot from them and helped revived my interest in KSP multiple times.

Exactly, and that is what I was trying to point out with my post.  You have to have some sort of goal or plan in mind or you get stuck in the "Now what do I do?" mindset.

At first, one is just trying to figure out how to do things such as make a rocket ship and fly it.  I am still in this process as I am trying to figure out how to make things I want to make.  Eventually, you start working on goals, how to get to the Mun, how to get to other planets, making bases, etc.  At this point, you start to develop our own style of playing (which will change as you progress). My current plan, design bases (both ground and then orbital) to provide resources, way points and launch sites to make it easier to explore outside the SOI of Kerban.  I hate making rocket ships that have to burn up most of their resources just to get out of the gravity well.

For the most part, I have been trying to see what I can do on my own.  I have looked at a few designs for inspiration or how to deal with some specific thing I was having issues with. But, I want to see what I can come up with first.  There are so many things to play with.  Eventually, I will look at what others have done to tweak my style.  But for now, I am mostly figuring out how parts go together and what mods I really want to use.  Once I have that under control (they will release KSP 2.0 and change everything), I will start another Career Mode or maybe a Science Mode game.  I had gone a long way with a Career Mode game before I even started installing mods.

Hint for newbies, just install Kerbal Alarm Clock, it is very handy for running multi missions at the same time, I waited too long before finding and installing that mod.

I didn't install MechJeb until I was able to do most maneuvers myself without much issue (they were time consuming and tedious after awhile).  Docking for the most part had become routine and easy if not time consuming.  Finding good spots to do transfers to moons and planets was still a pain, but MechJeb fixed that for me.  Much less tedious and time consuming doing routine maneuvers with MechJeb.

Edited by pmoffitt

I guess the simplest answer is to get whichever one appeals to you most.  There are obviously things you like about each one, which is what (in my own estimation, for what that's worth) prompted you to ask in the first place.  Which one calls to you more? Which one speaks to you?  That's the one you should go with.

Also, as someone else pointed out, if you've got the ability, why not get both and alternate between them when you feel the need?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.