Yet another tech tree concept

Fraktal

On 10/8/2020 at 1:36 PM, Fraktal said:

unless I can figure out how to add a 0.625m attachment node to the top of the Stayputnik via MM

This should be close to what you need:

@PART[probeCoreSphere_v2]
{
	node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.674475, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
}

I just stuck a stock Stayputnik on one of the small solid boosters, added some fins and launched - 12803? meters. Repeated with the top node patch and reached 12810? meters. Only did one launch of each so I don't know what the variability is but suspect the node doesn't add drag.

1 hour ago, Fraktal said:

Right. It's just that I've heard contradictory statements over the years about whether open nodes cause drag or not.

Used to but maybe not anymore.  Bug fix possibly.  I think also they used to add tonlag as well.  Not no longer for a while

Peace.

• 1 month later...

Dusted this off again after spending the past two evenings going through the stock KSP and MH part files to transcribe all part IDs into a spreadsheet for reference while writing a MM patch for this. @Jacke, I looked back at your request to make an unmanned start possible and I think I have something. How does this sound?

• Stayputnik: Basic Science -> Start (three tiers earlier)
  • Mk1 & KV-1: Start -> Engineering 101 (tier 1)
  • OKTO: Electrics -> Miniaturization (same tier)
  • QBE: Unmanned Tech -> Miniaturization (two tiers earlier)
  • OKTO2: Unmanned Tech -> Precision Engineering (one tier earlier, same node as HECS)
  • HECS2: Advanced Unmanned Tech -> Unmanned Tech (one tier earlier)
  • Mk1 lander can: Advanced Flight Control -> Landing (same tier)
  • MEM:  Command Modules -> Landing (one tier earlier)
  • KV-2: Flight Control -> Space Exploration (one tier later, same node as the hitchhiker storage module)
  • Mk2 pod: Advanced Flight Control -> Space Exploration (same tier)
  • KV-3: Advanced Flight Control -> Command Modules (one tier later)

FYI, the junior and standard docking ports are also moved forward one tier each (Miniaturization -> General Construction and Specialized Construction -> Advanced Construction, respectively). The Making History inflatable airlock is also pulled a full three tiers earlier to the same node as the junior docking port so that it's actually useful (what in the world made Squad put it on the same tier as Mk3 parts, I'll never know...).

After some testing, it looks like a Stayputnik modded with level 0 SAS and a top attachment node (thanks, @wasml) is able to ride a Mite all the way up into the upper atmosphere and on a near-vertical ascent trajectory can even exit the atmosphere with a single Shrimp. So an unmanned start can theoretically work. Problem is that the Stayputnik's battery runs out very quickly and it's so aerodynamic that it tends to rip off the parachute during freefall, even if I drop the booster, and the battery doesn't last long enough to maintain a retrograde vector long enough to decelerate to a safe airspeed. As things are right now, the following changes are planned for probe usage:

• Stock
    • First combinable and non-combinable antenna at tier 1
    • First battery and relay antenna at tier 3
    • First solar panel at tier 4
  • New
    • Probe core only at tier 0 (probes are thus restricted to sounding rockets only)
    • First non-combinable antenna and solar panel at tier 2 (probes can now reach the Mun, but no transmitting science yet)
    • First battery and combinable antenna at tier 3 (probes can now reach Minmus, science transmission is now available)
    • First relay antenna at tier 4 (probes can now land on the other side of the Mun)
Edited by Fraktal

In my usual style, rather than just simply checking if it works in a science/career save, I decided for maximum overkill and started writing a plugin for having the VAB display which tech node a part is on, even in sandbox mode where the R&D building is locked and thus the only way to check is to Alt-Tab out and consult an online tech tree.

Don't actually know how to display it in the VAB, but I think I have the right data.

Edited by Fraktal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.