What's your Headcanon?

DunaManiac

The title: what's your headcanon?

Alright, here's mine, here goes:

Millions of years ago, Kerbals started to evolve. At that time Kerbin was lush, filled with Jungles, and swamps, but completely devoid of any animal life. Over time, they gained distinct plant and animal traits. For example, their chlorophyll on their bodies synthesize enough glucose in order to survive, but just barely, if a kerbal conserves their energy enough by basically not moving at all, they can survive. This explains why they can sit in capsules for years without needing any life support. But they also need food for their metabolism if they expend energy by walking around. So the food kerbals are most fond of are high-sugar high-energy foods such as fruit, and later Snacks.

Over time, Kerbals formed a civilization thousands of years ago, that eventually began to leave their homeworld. Over time, they colonized the solar system, leaving behind the various anomalies and monoliths in KSP. In order to signal other planets, they would use SSTV signals like the one on Duna. The civilization thrived, right up until 40,000 years ago when a large comet struck Kerbin, destroying most life on Kerbin instantly and creating the large crater. The only survivors were the kerbals on other planets and the very few that escaped into underground bunkers. The remaining planets split into factions over the few resources left to sustain their civilization, resulting in a massive interplanetary war. Various crashed ships on Kerbin and the Mun lie on the surface, relics of ancient battles. The SSTV signal sent the last distress signal 39,000 years ago, a message about the current status of the war, and one word who's meaning is now lost to the ages. Eventually, all the Kerbals killed each other, leaving the survivors on Kerbin the only ones remaining.

Over time they lost all knowledge of their technology and reverted to a primitive existence, utterly dependent on the ancient systems in the bunkers. About 20,000 years ago, Kerbin became habitable again and the automated systems in the bunkers shut down. Driven out, they gradually began their civilization, gradually rediscovering technology. By that time Kerbin was mostly covered in moss and small grass, the only plants that could survive, and small trees scattered around which is the way Kerbin looks like today. Finally, almost 20,000 years later, they had formed some semblance of nation states, around 2 dozen across Kerbin. At that point, other nations colonized the KSC continent (the continent where the KSC is located), which finally became independent at 43,246 AC (After Great Catastrophe). Over the next 100 years, it became increasingly imperialist, attacking smaller nations while the 2 largest alliances, the Eastern and Western Union looked on.

Eventually the KSC continent declared war on all the other nations, causing a war that would last for the next century. The war began with enormous battles, echoing the previous interplanetary wars, but after around 30 years into the war, most of kerbin was destroyed and so the Great Turning Point began, causing most nations to fall into anarchy and decadence. The war dragged on, lasting for the next 70 years. Technology was gradually lost, going back another 30 years. The war now wasn't as coherent, the East and West had fallen, and now the war was various factions fighting locally for dominance. The last 3 nations, the leader made up of an island chain far away from the fighting, signed an economic and military union among themselves, calling themselves the Kerbin Peace Keeping Union. They stopped the fighting in less than 10 years, eventually the KPKU evolved into the Kerbin Federation, which encompassed the entire planet.

The early days of the Kerbin Federation were frought with danger. The millitary almost reached a total control of the government, breaking the various remnants and rebellions that cropped up. It took 10 years for things to settle down. Instilled with an absolute hatred of suffering, the so called "Federation Generation" was born. Kerbin devoted itself to learning, embarking in failed experiments at the Second KSC Launch Site and the island Airfield, which both atrophied with lack of use. 20 years later, Jebediah and Gene together formed the Kerbal Space Program, rebuilding an old fortress into the KSC. After wowing the globe, the KSP came under the direction of the Kerbin Science Centers, a government agency. Using their own companies to finance it, Rockomax and Jebediah's Junkyard, they embarked on a mission to explore space.

Whew! And there you have it folks. What's yours?

For me, Kerbals are unique in the Universe in that they evolved without any concept of war. Fighting is as alien to them as it is inherent to us. They almost lack even the ability to deceive and argue, but they are able to disagree. They are also quite hardy and heal quickly, so evolved a cavalier attitude to danger. "The Whoopsies" is the #1 cause of death on Kerbin, and has been throughout their entire recorded history.

When they invented gunpowder, their first thought was that it makes things go up, so how high up can we shoot someone? When they found that they couldn't shoot someone up high enough to see anything new before killing them, Kerbals invented parachutes and shock plates. When they found that gunpowder just wasn't efficient enough to do much better even with the safeguards, they invented Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and the Scientific Method.

It took them a long time to figure out why some Kerbals died even though the craft rose slowly enough to not crush them, and parachuted down safely. It wasn't until they invented writing - and thought to bring a pad and pencil along - that Kerbals discovered that the air thins out as you rise. Then they invented air tanks.

It wasn't long after that they invented space suits. Like Humans, they had figured out long before that their world was round and orbited their sun. While they had invented math late in the game in regards to rocketry, that was more due to their inventing rocketry quickly, and less due to inventing math late. To roughly compare with Humans, the first Kerbal reached space at about the time in their development that we in our development were burning down Rome.

An entire industry evolved around space flight, and multiple mega-corporations spawned to create parts for ships. They competed - fairly and on merit - for the new Kerbal Space Program's attention. The Kerbals built a Space Center in a convenient spot on their equator, bought the licensing rights to a pod that could probably withstand the vacuum of space, a parachute to bring it down again, a booster with solid fuel in it (but there were rumors that a liquid version was in the works, which would make throttling and restarting engines possible) and a container to hold this green stuff they found that might react oddly in different situations. They hired a few hundred Kerbals to run the operation and 4 of those were chosen to be the pilots, engineer, and scientist for the first few missions - until they could find more to either replace them (rest in peace) or augment the ranks.

Then, they hired you to run it all.

Edited by Superfluous J

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

a container to hold this green stuff they found that might react oddly in different situations

Hmm. I don't believe Mystery Goo was ever confirmed green... Is there something you're not telling us? :wink:

2 hours ago, James M said:

Hmm. I don't believe Mystery Goo was ever confirmed green... Is there something you're not telling us? :wink:

Huh. That's something I've always "known" but I have no idea where I "learned" it.

It is entirely possible I made it up so I'll just say it's part of my headcanon.

8 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Huh. That's something I've always "known" but I have no idea where I "learned" it.

It is entirely possible I made it up so I'll just say it's part of my headcanon.

I know cx I was just teasing. On the Kspwiki it says most people think it's green but that the devs would never say :sticktongue:

A long time ago something terrible happened, forcing all Kerbals to go underground to survive.

They tried to resurface many times but it was too risky, whatever was the cause it seemed to come back even stronger every time.

Slowly the Kerbals decided to dedicate in a full underground life, salvaging almost everything in surface to build cities inside mountains.

Scientists always ventured outside for as long they could to figure out what was the cause that was destroying any animal life on the surface

but leaving the rest unharmed.

Time passed on, many, many years.

Few years ago though, mystery objects started appearing in the surface, transmitting technologies that were in the sphere imagination.

These transmissions were the key for not only colonizing other planets but even more insane speeds that could help reach vast distances.

Few brave Kerbals ventured out and build the first structures after thousand of years on the surface of Kerbin.

Their goal?Build insane things and colonize other planets, venture out as far they can and explore these strange objects/transmissions.

Kerbals for the first time they can have the technology to survive away from Kerbin, the keys to unlock that technology are out there.

Their motivation? Whatever hellish thing happens in Kerbin will happen again.No one knows when and what it is.

Kerbals only thing they know is if they want to live above ground it will be the ground of a different planet.

Edited by Boyster

I completely disagree with the “Kerbals live underground” thing- I just see the lack of artificial structures beyond the launch sites, tracking dishes and such as unimplemented features that would have taken too long to add in any detail, would add to processing and graphics loads and weren’t too important for a space game. If Kerbals lived underground then why are the KSC facilities above the ground, when they’d be more at home- and safer from stray rocket debris- with those facilities under the ground and with the launchpad being more like an underground silo? I’m referring specifically to the Astronaut Complex, R&D and Admin Building, although pretty much everything could be underground except the dishes of the Tracking Station and the runway itself; an aircraft elevator at the end of the runway would get the planes to the surface from the underground hangars.

I always think of Kerbal society as broadly analogous to our own, only without the wars that spurred the development of aerospace technology in the 20th century so while Kerbals have many of the same modern systems as we do like the internet, smartphones etc., in some areas they have gone down different paths (extensive rail travel rather than airlines, for example) and things like jet engines and rockets are novelties that are only just becoming viable and so begin to appear in the lower nodes of the tech tree. This also makes progress through the tech tree more like a real scientific exercise as more data gets gathered which can be used to design the next technologies; how exactly measuring the temperature and air pressure all around Kerbin can result in the development of some solar panels and reaction wheels, I have no idea, but that’s the inherent limitation of a generic ‘science’ resource to unlock things.
I also have some more detailed ideas about Kerbal society, technology and such but these will be forming part of my KSP fanfic story (link in my signature #shamelessplug :wink:) and aren’t directly relevant to stock Kerbin in stock KSP.

And since Restock’s mystery goo cans have purple goo in them, I always think of mystery goo as purple even though the stock goo can and the science definitions don’t give any clues about its colour- only that it sometimes changes colour around certain planets.

27 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I completely disagree with the “Kerbals live underground” thing- I just see the lack of artificial structures beyond the launch sites, tracking dishes and such as unimplemented features that would have taken too long to add in any detail, would add to processing and graphics loads and weren’t too important for a space game. If Kerbals lived underground then why are the KSC facilities above the ground, when they’d be more at home- and safer from stray rocket debris- with those facilities under the ground and with the launchpad being more like an underground silo? I’m referring specifically to the Astronaut Complex, R&D and Admin Building, although pretty much everything could be underground except the dishes of the Tracking Station and the runway itself; an aircraft elevator at the end of the runway would get the planes to the surface from the underground hangars.

What? I explained why.

I am not trying to give it 100% logical sense, like its gpu graphic intensive, or why not build the KSP underground, you have to bend some mind rules and i am trying to bend as few i can.

Kerbals built outside only some minor things to launch more easily and transfer the parts/things from underground factories/infastructure.

The monoliths gave them the technology to go orbital, but the colonization puzzle will be only complete when they visit more monoliths and artifacts across the Kerbol.

They still live underground because its not worth to build more outside and then the danger come and destroy everything, which is happening again and again at random times.

The ''danger'' is not something i have invested much time on, i am simply describing as something that destroys all Kerbals if they are outside, and lives the plant life intact.

It kills all animals too, thats why there are no animals outside.They stopped roaming outside long ago thats why buildings are not found on the surface.

Yes its a far stretch but i think it kinda works/fits i guess? Every other story i imagined doesnt fully explain why there are no cities/buildings.

Edited by Boyster

@Boyster I wasn’t aiming that comment at you specifically. I just don’t see why or how an underground dwelling race would ever be able to create a space program and I think the main reason for the underground theory is because the game itself doesn’t contain any above surface settlements besides the space program facilities, and that’s because they would require more development than it was worth and would adversely affect game performance; even the KSC causes a noticeable frame rate drop compared to flying the same plane or rocket somewhere else, including the other launch sites which have less buildings in them (especially Woomerang).

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

@Boyster I wasn’t aiming that comment at you specifically. I just don’t see why or how an underground dwelling race would ever be able to create a space program and I think the main reason for the underground theory is because the game itself doesn’t contain any above surface settlements besides the space program facilities, and that’s because they would require more development than it was worth and would adversely affect game performance; even the KSC causes a noticeable frame rate drop compared to flying the same plane or rocket somewhere else, including the other launch sites which have less buildings in them (especially Woomerang).

You are correct, my main reason, and motivation was to explain why there are no above surface settlements

That drove me to a story i didnt really like but i couldnt not escape the fact there are no life signs/cities etc in the whole planet.

My explanation is they were unable to create a space program until the mystical monoliths appeared in the surface

and started transmitting short range data bursts of ''magical'' rocket blueprints that were super easy to build.

When they visit enough of those artifacts, they will have the ability for crazy travels, hence to birth of KSP 2 :P .

Edited by Boyster

Most of my canon can be found within my Tales of The Groundbound. </plug>

As for a more general overview pretty much :
The general sociology is kind of like a TV version of the 50's in the west. That's 1950's not 2050's, now get off my lawn. Though many of the attitudes about race and gender are closer to modern. At least for the kerbals running my space program. I haven't though much about the rest of Kerbin, as there isn't a unified world government. I should really lay down some deep canon about that for the Greenfields series. The kerbals of the design arms of the program have a different design ethic, at least relative to ours. Best described as, from out side the game looking in, is this design contra-indicated by the game engine?
The raison d'etre of the program, and probably some of the other ones, is to study the goo. There are some that suspect that it has non-
Einsteinian field effects that are highly apparent in low-curvature space-time.

As for the aboveground/belowground thing. Don't confuse the Acceptable Breaks from Reality required by the game engine and/or design with actual elements of canon.

In my headcanon, thousands of years ago Kerbals were much like us - in some ways, worse. Kerbin was split into more than a hundred nation-states, many of which were constantly at each other's throats. The planet was inhabited by more than a billion Kerbals, the atmosphere was thick with various greenhouse gases, and the threat of nuclear war was constant. A few of Kerbin's largest superpowers did have space programs, but no Kerbal had ever been into space, and rocket technology was entirely geared toward launching military satellites and delivering nuclear warheads. As a result, when a large asteroid on a direct collision course with Kerbin was detected, there was absolutely no way to redirect it in time. As the entire planet's population panicked, nearly every country sank a huge fraction of their resources into building underground bunkers to hopefully save at least a fraction of their populations from doomsday.

However, supplies for these bunkers were limited, and arguments between world leaders on their allocation quickly escalated into a full nuclear exchange. Consequently, Kerbin endured a double apocalypse - asteroid impact and nuclear fallout. Only a tiny fraction of Kerbin's population survived, with some bunkers being destroyed outright due to being too close to the surface or having inadequate life-support systems. The mark of Kerbin's Great Impact remains to this day in the giant crater on the planet's equator. 

When the survivors' remote descendants emerged from the bunkers four thousand years later, they found a planet wiped clean of every mark of civilisation. Resolving to never repeat the mistakes of their ancestors, the Kerbals realised that the only way to truly and permanently protect their species from complete extinction was to expand beyond Kerbin and explore space. Thus they started a space program, and here you are at Year 1 Day 1 of your new career game :)

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

A few of Kerbin's largest superpowers did have space programs, but no Kerbal had ever been into space, and rocket technology was entirely geared toward launching military satellites and delivering nuclear warheads. 

Superpowers, military satellites and nuclear warheads contradicts a bit the lack of efforts to try to blow up the asteroid...well you know...try to do some damage to it, i get that they were focused on each other but that level of readiness, having weapons like that, i am guessing they would try something...even if during world war...i hope...lol

Edited by Boyster

In my head lire, kerbals evolved from plants. This is why they take on a green hue, and they can enter a hibernation like state, and by photosynthesis create their own food. But kerbals quickly learned that to survive cold nights, they would have to consume high-sugar snacks. 

Because they evolved from plants, they feel a need to travel as far as possible from their point of origin, as to spread their ‘seeds’ this is why when a kerbal dies you see a puff of dust. The ‘dust’ are microscopic pores that’ll grow into new kerbals. 

Kerbals are not too terribly smart, which is ironic because they are masters of rocket technology. They have gazed at the stars for centuries, spitting new planets and longing to travel to said planets.

An excuse to overthink a videogame? I'll take it!

I have doubts that Kerbals are solely responsible for their own successes. 

It's not because they "act too stupid" to be space-fairing. It's not because they're biologically maladapted for space transit. Though I still laugh at the Wiki article that says Kerbals just developed the ability to walk. The way they act and are doesn't seem to line up with their technological sophistication. 

I get that they aren't human. Still, you see a few human traits in them that makes me want to say they are pretty close to humans. The way they can organize and socialize, the ways they can risk it for "the greater good," just their conduct looks like cartoonish human behavior. But it's a little deeper than their conduct. Something else about them seems decidedly human. The way they design things. I'm not going to argue that humanity figured out the answers to everything and that all intelligent life follows are path because we're right. What I am going to say is that like-minded people often problem solve in similar ways. People that have similar experience, mental capacity and "mental parameters" (the way they think), often will give similar answers to an issue. That's just how it works between humans. I'm saying that since Kerbals produce nearly exact copies, or convincing effigies of human tech, they, in some way or on some level, do mirror humans in a mental way. What makes sense to them would make sense to us. What we think are good solutions and good approaches would be considered good by Kerbals too. They think like humans to an extent.

After all, a creation is a reflection of its creator. So if a bunch of creations look and function similarly, would it be that much of a jump to say their creators are similar or at least have something in common? I'm going to go with "yes" on that. 

So, if Kerbals think like humans to some extent, because they make designs that humans have made using presumably human methods, that leaves a few huge question marks for me. Everyone basically disregarded Robert Godard's rockets in spite of how revolutionary they were. The NYT even mocked him at one point. However, everyone took note when Werner Von Braun started landing ballistic missiles in Britain. The first Soviet spacecraft were refitted ICBMs. Still to this day, the biggest innovations in rocket and aerospace technology remain rooted in military equipment. In fairness, what would the civilian use be for vectored thrust? What would the domestic market need afterburners for? We all forget that science truly takes off when it becomes practical. Einstein's famous equation relating energy and mass was only famous with the scientific community until it was put to work creating a WMD. So rocket science never took off until it had an immediately practical use. Where else would such things be practical beyond a military? What would the average person gain from gigantic rockets? Not much when rockets were crude. But a military definitely could gain from even the most crude rockets. Do you see the direction I'm going? Extreme equipment is designed for extreme uses. Militaries have plenty of extreme cases for extreme equipment. 

But the Kerbals don't show any signs of military capacity in stock KSP. There are no "other guys" to compete against. It seems like the Kerbals designed rockets just to aimlessly wander through the stars. The Kerbals don't even see rockets as a means to an end. It's like they see the rockets as the endgame. That doesn't seem right. You can't get that kind of success without immense focus and direction. Anyone here do real science? I don't, yet. But, what I can say for certain is that nothing works out if you don't have a goal in mind. Sure, you can create some nice trinkets along the way, but they stay trinkets until you have an end goal for those trinkets. Then they go from novelties to tools. So, in short, most major innovations are made in a military context because that's what you need in a military context. But there's no competition on Kerbin. Kerbin's so inactive, you wouldn't expect much to come from it. Innovation comes from competition because why fix what is already working fine. Kerbals appear to have some concept of competition since they have businesses, but somehow that doesn't translate to the big picture on Kerbin, which is just odd.

The scientific data you gather doesn't even seem to be consistent with the tech you develop. I know we know nothing about that weird Mystery Goo, but, that doesn't mean it's magical. That doesn't mean it's just a magic wand that somehow gets you complex electronics and nuclear power. The atmosphere tests make sense in a scientific context for developing wings, but some of the other science doesn't quite seem to line up. How does one get solar panels from seismic tests? 

Just... So many things aren't right with the Kerbal's tech progress... 

I'll just sum it up any future paragraphs quickly: Kerbals demonstrate no signs that would normally indicate innovation and tech development, yet they have technology on-par with human technology. Kerbals are pretty new (because that weird walk = just developed the ability to walk = likely new species), yet they have what took humanity centuries to develop. Something doesn't add up for me. This doesn't seem right at all. Am I folding a tinfoil hat or do  I have a point?

Edited by Orbital_Decay

You have the point you are brainwashed thinking science only goes forward if there is military need.

Science is not meant to be funded by military, just because thats we have right now on Earth doesnt make it the right and the only way.

The only reason all these brilliant humans play by the rules its because they know its the only way to get their funding.

I believe most would love the opportunity to work in their field without worrying about loosing their money if 

they dont apply a short minded use for military or economy.

We have jailed our scientists, most cant work in what they want,

and their motivations go beyond of most human concepts,

they want to explore, to discover, to make sense, that has a never ending power and never loose motivation while doing that...

except ofcourse if they threaten to remove their paycheck.

Edited by Boyster

13 hours ago, Boyster said:

You have the point you are brainwashed thinking science only goes forward if there is military need.

[...]

I believe most would love the opportunity to work in their field without worrying about loosing their money if 

they dont apply a short minded use for military or economy.

We have jailed our scientists, most cant work in what they want,

and their motivations go beyond of most human concepts,

they want to explore, to discover, to make sense, that has a never ending power and never loose motivation while doing that...

except ofcourse if they threaten to remove their paycheck.

Brainwashed by what? "The media?" The same bunch that's criticized military spending since I was born? My schools? Television? Don't think it's a reasonable conclusion to make? 

So, I'll ask you this. If military development has no effect on scientific development, how come it took until the Gulf War for GPS networks to actually take off? How come it took until V-2s started hitting Britain for the idea of rocketry to spread around and become what it is today? How come it took a rivalry between the USSR and US for either power to develop good rockets? Surely everyone shares the same idealistic notions about space, right? Surely everything's done out of the good of the human heart, right?  

Look, regardless of the organization, government, nation, people, or whatever else, the only reason technology takes off is if you can either kill someone with it, save someone with it, or sell it as a consumer product. That's how it is in any human nation. There's tons of neat scientific developments around that have never seen the light of day after being designed? Why? Because no one found a practical use for it. If it isn't practical, it isn't used. Sure, you can pin that on any number of things to shift the blame. Sure, you can say how that's wrong and everything. At the end of the day, the only reason anything gets done is for practical reasons. 

Cool, starry-eyed idealism is a beautiful thing. But, countless people were blinded by that idealism to the point where they lost track of practicality. Their motivations go "beyond human concepts" (even though, being human, they are still human concepts) is a nice way of saying they're doing something that basically only useful to a handful of people. The space races and all the space programs around the world were great, not just because of where we sent our rockets, but rather the "trickle down" tech, if you may. Not just the beautiful notion of putting your flag on another world, but also the treasures you get along the way. If it weren't for that "paycheck motivation," where exactly would we all be? If everyone took the "pretty jobs" of just making really neat stuff just because it was neat, where would we be? If you didn't basically bribe those kinds of people into making something for the at-large population, where would we be? Still think it's evil to make sharp minds develop things for the rest of us? It evil? No more evil than making people load trucks, or any of the other monotonous jobs out there. You have to motivate people to do that stuff because without it, where are we? Believe it or not, even the sharpest of us can go in the wrong direction. No one is above that. Neither politicians nor scientists. No one has that perfect compass. That's why you have to leverage people around. You have to motivate dreamers to do not dreamy things because, at the end of the day, reality is not optional. Better to economically coerce someone into practicality instead physically locking them up and into it. 

We'd all love to escape to some dream-verse and do random cool things all the time. That's a terrible foundation for progress. I'll just assume you're familiar with goal setting. That ultimate endgame of limitless exploration isn't realistic. In fact, it's so open-ended that it's almost not a goal. If your ultimate objective is just wandering, you're never going to finish. So, we're here again. You need to create practical goals with an end in order to go somewhere. You know when you make progress. You know when your efforts pay off. You know when you're really effecting the public at large.  

13 hours ago, Boyster said:

Science is not meant to be funded by military, just because thats we have right now on Earth doesnt make it the right and the only way.

Well, I threw a few clauses in for that. I threw in a groundwork on how Kerbals are likely more human than we think. I threw in a lot of stuff. Just get repulsed by the part where I attributed tech development to militaries? 

And I'm still doubtful Kerbals are fully responsible for their own successes.

Edited by Orbital_Decay

10 hours ago, Orbital_Decay said:

Brainwashed by what? "The media?" The same bunch that's criticized military spending since I was born? My schools? Television? Don't think it's a reasonable conclusion to make? 

I apologize for calling you that, there was no need for it, even if i strongly disagree with your opinions, opinions with very valid reasons.

I do believe though scientists main motivation should not be military needs or short-sighted discoveries that lead to monetary gains.

Yes, its a cool, starry-eyes idealism as you perfectly said those words.

Going back to Kerbal

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Green_Monolith

The game itself tells you that some alien structures help them unlock future technologies.

So its a fact that the current Kerbals are not fully responsible for their advances.

(Saying ''current'' in case those monoliths were build by a very long gone ancient Kerbal civilization) 

Edited by Boyster

I myself like Gameslinx interpretation with before kerbin and after kerbin along with beyond home. Though if I had to exclude those, I'd imagine they'd just be an average intelligent species much like humans that just happen to have different physiology. Mainly, I believe they have photosynthetic skin (it is green afterall) and can hibernate. That explains the lack of requiring any life support when flying. Although I'm not entirely sure why you don't need oxygen or anything.

On 8/12/2020 at 6:44 PM, InfiniDelta said:

[snip] . Although I'm not entirely sure why you don't need oxygen or anything.

My idea is that since they photosynthesize, when they exhale, the produce oxygen. 

Edited by Lewie

• 2 weeks later...

To big to put here but I am making a mega-thread with my KSP world's history.

It's mean to be the ultimate kerbal history and has a lot of cool maps thanks to @Pds314.

Right now it is barely starting construction but it has some maps and a creation story (featuring Krakens and explanations for most Easter eggs!) 

Edited by Kerminator1000

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.