"In flight" manned stuff keeps exploding if you´re not in control

Cataclism

Hello, kerbonauts!

Well, after a few months unable to play KSP, I finally got my hands on 1.10 (w/ Bk. Ground).

THIS IS NOT A CRITIC but, despite all the good stuff one gets, it´s kind of pitiful to see an old... "feature" still happening: that your manned vessels will most likely explode and kill your entire crew when descending "in flight" (Kerbin´s atmosphere) if you are not in control of that vessel.

As I use to play with custom difficulty options (Science Mode) and the "kerbals respawn" set to OFF, the green creatures´ life seems to be deadly cheap.
So, here´s a little "two-parts-video" showing the deployments of a manned sci-stuff, and the lost of the (now) deceased crew.
:P
Cheers!

If someone would be interested in seeing what I´m talking about, please take a look at the videos. There is timing information in the description, but the fatal and NOT supervisioned crash regarding stuff happens at these moments bellow:
5:20 - 7:53 - 10:16 - 11:48

https://youtu.be/xmvEFJM5f74
https://youtu.be/5sVnfVJF65E

Edited by Cataclism

• 2 months later...
On 8/4/2020 at 2:00 AM, Cataclism said:

Hello, kerbonauts!

Well, after a few months unable to play KSP, I finally got my hands on 1.10 (w/ Bk. Ground).

THIS IS NOT A CRITIC but, despite all the good stuff one gets, it´s kind of pitiful to see an old... "feature" still happening: that your manned vessels will most likely explode and kill your entire crew when descending "in flight" (Kerbin´s atmosphere) if you are not in control of that vessel.

Have you ever tried this, its a bit outdated but it still might work, backup first as with every new mod install.

Edited by Boyster

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, gentlemen... thank you for your time, and my apologies for such a delay. To live "outside the grid", somehow, has it down sides.....

@Corona688, going in a straight answer, I´d expect the manned stuff just land by itself, no harm for neither crew nor equipment. That it just... landed.:cool:

@Boyster, thank you very much. I didn´t know it and, despite It doesn´t seem to be exactly for that, obviously, I am pretty sure it will help and give an extra breath for the situation. :cool:

Cheers!

The game automatically deletes anything that’s below a certain altitude on a planet with atmosphere when it isn’t in physics range; increasing physics range won’t always help and can cause other problems.

There are mods that can recover vessels that drop below the ‘death zone’ on Kerbin. My personal favourite of those is Stage Recovery due to its simplicity- stick some parachutes on and it’ll automatically recover ships (plus any crew/science on board) when it drops below ~20km on Kerbin, though it doesn’t work in tracking station view.

23 hours ago, Cataclism said:

@Corona688, going in a straight answer, I´d expect the manned stuff just land by itself, no harm for neither crew nor equipment. That it just... landed.:cool:

If you mean stuff with parachutes, yeah, "Stage Recovery" is a good mod.

If you want planes to fly themselves...  You might need to explain the situation you're solving a bit better.

Of course, if your plane has parachutes on it, that might still be recoverable by stage recovery!  Maybe :)

Edited by Corona688

Oh, yeah, it "should" be recoverable. I´ll definitely take a better look at bunch of available mods. the But, as I´ve been reading around, KSP considers almost everything as a lost falling stuff once you are inside an atmosphere, that´s why any kind of parachutes vessel, whether it´s manner or not, will probably death-crash with a lack of integrity for recovery.

One of the ideas of the game has always been the need of personally babysitting almost all of your stuff, as it´s not some kind of RTS or whatnot. :cool:

Thank you again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.