New planets in the Kerbol system

I know there's been a lot of focus on exoplanets in KSP2 but i really hope they add some new planets to the Kerbol system, specifically out past Jool's orbit. With all the new high ISP engines it looks like we're getting, it'll be a bit of a jump to go from using chem and nuclear-thermal rockets to explore the Kerbol system to fusion-powered craft headed for new stars. It'd be a nice middle point to have some planets that are out of reach of tech from KSP 1, but can be reached without massive interstellar vessels. (basically i'm asking for OPM planets in KSP2)

Edited by Roostergod

I agree with what  @AlamoVampire  said on this.

I wouldn't expect any additional celestial bodies in the Kerbol system.  The fact that the exsting ones have had a serious makeover effectively makes them all 'new' anyway, just in the same places as KSP1.

There is, I suppose, scope for one or two 'newly discovered' bodies way out beyond jool, which would be nice, but I doubt very much theyvwill be added.

As @Nate Simpson has said, there will be no new planets in the Kerbol system. The Kerbol system is unchanged except for a few face lifts here and there. The only new planet I can see being added is Gas Planet 2, or GP2. Which is/was planned to be... well, the second gas planet. Eeloo would have moved from being the outer planet to being the inner most moon of GP2.  

4 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

@GoldForest i knew i heard it somewhere! I hope we see gas planet 2 as it was said to be a thing so so long ago. But also thanks for lifting the fog of: now where did i hear that at” lol.

GP2 is still totally possible in KSP 1. In fact, I feel as if they are getting the system ready to introduce GP2. All these graphics updates to the planets. It might just be that, a graphics update, or it could be that they are bringing all the planets into their new art style that they decided GP2 would have. We'll have to wait and see. 

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

As @Nate Simpson has said, there will be no new planets in the Kerbol system. The Kerbol system is unchanged except for a few face lifts here and there. The only new planet I can see being added is Gas Planet 2, or GP2. Which is/was planned to be... well, the second gas planet. Eeloo would have moved from being the outer planet to being the inner most moon of GP2.  

Would made more sense to move it out behind GP2 as its Kerbak system's Pluto. 

8 hours ago, GoldForest said:

As @Nate Simpson has said, there will be no new planets in the Kerbol system.

Which is/was planned to be... well, the second gas planet.

I think then that will start a big demand for all the other planets/moons that where planned by @NovaSilisko. I don’t see GP2 happening or else people will want GP3 and all the other planets that are in mods about the original plan.

8 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I think then that will start a big demand for all the other planets/moons that where planned by @NovaSilisko. I don’t see GP2 happening or else people will want GP3 and all the other planets that are in mods about the original plan.

Well, GP2 and GP3, as far as i know, are the only 2 planets that are supposed to be in KSP 1, along with their moons. KSP 2 could just ad those 2, and their moons, and be done with it.

9 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Well, GP2 and GP3, as far as i know, are the only 2 planets that are supposed to be in KSP 1, along with their moons. KSP 2 could just ad those 2, and their moons, and be done with it.

I could see it as a DLC but nothing more than that

Plus I don't think this texture for a gas giant is releastic

Gas planet 2

Edited by Guest
uncapitalized L

32 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I could see it as a DLC but nothing more than that

Plus I don't think this texture for a gas giant is releastic

Gas planet 2

Well, very wip image obviously. It would look more like a blue and yellow jool today I would figure.

I for one would like to see an expanded Kerbol system, something like the OPM mods. Eeloo transfers can be faster than Jool transfers, and Jool really isn't that far. Hohman transfers are practical to Jool, solar power is still usable, its really not that far. Contrast that with OPM's Neidon or Plock... Throw in an Eris or Sedna analogue.

Stock KSP is great for portraying space travel amongst an inner solar system, but solar systems are a lot bigger than what is depicted in KSP 1. If we are going to be going accross the vast distances to reach other stars, we should also be able to cross less vast distances to visit outer solar sstem bodies

On 8/4/2020 at 12:44 PM, mcwaffles2003 said:

I feel like if you want new planets you should make it to another star. No need to add more to the Kerbal system when we have a galaxy to fill.

Can't we do both? they only need to have a handful of stars representing nearby stars, not a whole galaxy. A whole galaxy is clearly too much, and completely impractical with the type of tech that they've shown (something a few to several light years away is a different story than 100,000 LY away).

The stock KSP system seems like its missing a lot. I want scattered disk objects, I want a sedna analogue, those would be great uses of some of the more high end drives, without going interstellar.

7 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Can't we do both? they only need to have a handful of stars representing nearby stars, not a whole galaxy. A whole galaxy is clearly too much, and completely impractical with the type of tech that they've shown (something a few to several light years away is a different story than 100,000 LY away).

The stock KSP system seems like its missing a lot. I want scattered disk objects, I want a sedna analogue, those would be great uses of some of the more high end drives, without going interstellar.

When I say galaxy I'm just referring to a collection of solar systems, but by no means do I expect a game with anything like 100,000,000,000 stars.... That said, they could spend forever adding more and more time on the kerbolar system but I think 17 bodies is a fair amount seeing as keeping other systems comparable would mean adding 150 new celestial bodies to just get 10 total star systems in the game. If the kerbolar system gets 5 or 6 new objects that means other systems would be adding over 200 new objects now. I'd like more stuff too but there's only so much an artist can do

@mcwaffles2003

Well, I am not expecting more stars in ksp2 than planets in KSP1, so I am expecting like 3 or 4 other star systems, not 10, but its all speculation.

Other star systems need not be as large as the kerbal's system, and having a large home system could be good for gameplay progression, letting you experiment with some designs on the way to interstellar ships, that just go to a Sedna analogue (or hypothetical planet 9 analogue)

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

Other star systems need not be as large as the kerbal's system, and having a large home system could be good for gameplay progression, letting you experiment with some designs on the way to interstellar ships, that just go to a Sedna analogue (or hypothetical planet 9 analogue)

I guess here is where our opinions differ. I am hoping some systems be smaller and some be bigger to maybe make the home system seem less grand as is the case it seems in our own experience. Also, if the other systems are lack luster they won't serve as well to pull players out of the kerbolar system like many never left kerbins SOI

@mcwaffles2003 Just because they aren't as big doesn't mean that they are lackluster.

Addinng OPM and some Eris/Sedna analogues to the Kerbal's system wouldn't compete with Rask/Rusk, that ice world with equatorial seas, the eyeball planets... etc.

There's no more room in the Kerbal's system for habitable bodies (even Laythe doesn't belong there), and adding an outer system wouldn't change that.

Other systems could have fewer planets, but bigger planets... hot Jupiters, Super Earths, etc.

Other systems could be much smaller red Dwarfs...

There's no reason that I'm aware of that other systems need to show the same relative size to each other, we already observe large variations in apparent planet number...

But the KSP systm has clear analogues to our inner solar system, and thus it seems to lack our outer solar system. 

I think there would still be enough draw to go interstellar, and it would be good gameplay progression.

4 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

@mcwaffles2003 Just because they aren't as big doesn't mean that they are lackluster.

Addinng OPM and some Eris/Sedna analogues to the Kerbal's system wouldn't compete with Rask/Rusk, that ice world with equatorial seas, the eyeball planets... etc.

There's no more room in the Kerbal's system for habitable bodies (even Laythe doesn't belong there), and adding an outer system wouldn't change that.

Other systems could have fewer planets, but bigger planets... hot Jupiters, Super Earths, etc.

Other systems could be much smaller red Dwarfs...

There's no reason that I'm aware of that other systems need to show the same relative size to each other, we already observe large variations in apparent planet number...

But the KSP systm has clear analogues to our inner solar system, and thus it seems to lack our outer solar system. 

I think there would still be enough draw to go interstellar, and it would be good gameplay progression.

Quality over quantity

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 7:29 PM, mcwaffles2003 said:

Sol system would be the solar system. Sol is the name of our sun.

The KSP home system is the Kerbolar system

aha so the planet is named Kerbin but the sun is called Kerbsol? So you ment to spell Kerbsolar system?

The Kerbin system definitely is the planet and the two moons. I am to lazy to go and check now what the sun is named in KSP. But that should dictate the name of that solar system.