KSP 1.11 update

Here's my predictions/hopes for 1.11:

- Art Passes for more of the planets (probably jool's moons; prob Vall and Tylo are next)

- Reusablity parts (maybe in the form of a DLC or free update, either could work)

- would be cool to get a bunch of ew varieties for engines and size catagories that arent as fleshed out (1.875, , 3.75, 5.0, etc)

- A 3.75 meter docking port!

- More and bigger asteriod spawn locations (near dres orbit, not just orbiting dres, near eeloo)

- it would be awesome to pick a mod to add to the game. maybe kerbal alarm clock?

All these changes would be an awesome and substantial update to KSP. tried to keep my predictions that could be doable in a quarterly time frame.

The SpaceX collaboration would be interesting - but it will only happen if SpaceX commission Squad (Private Division/ TakeTwo) to do it.  That means SpaceX paying a fee to have their specific stuff in the game.  Is Mr Musk going to do that?  

If they did pay, it is great for us as the developers keep being paid, the IP owners of the game keep making money as the sales surely must be lower these days - that's why you release costed DLC.  It means a longer life for us.

Peace.

A few problems regarding a Space X collaboration:

• Space X is a launch provider, not a space program. The previous collaborations were with NASA and ESA, not ULA or Arianespace.
  • Space X cannot be disconnected from Elon Musk. [snip] so do you rally want to have him associated with KSP?
Edited by Vanamonde

16 hours ago, Entropian said:

What would be the benefit to SpaceX?  They seem to have enough public recognition already.

No work or money plus good press.

Someone knocks on your door and offers to mow your lawn for free. "Yeah but what's in it for me?"

As to my prediction on what 1.11 will bring us?

A bunch of complaints on the forum about its contents is all I am 100% sure of. But it seems pretty likely that a few more worlds and a few more parts will get revamps. Bugs will get fixed but not all of them, possibly not even most of them.

I doubt we'll see something as big as 1.10's comets but hey if I want to pie-in-the-sky, a stock method to better predict, plan, and maybe even execute interplanetary transfers would be a boon.

Edited by Superfluous J

On 8/5/2020 at 12:37 PM, cfds said:

• Space X is a launch provider, not a space program. The previous collaborations were with NASA and ESA, not ULA or Arianespace.
  • Space X cannot be disconnected from Elon Musk. [Snip] so do you rally want to have him associated with KSP?

SpaceX colaboration would be two mechanics and some parts.

One would be acolonisation mechanic

The other is  a mechanic for either automatic landing or ability for return to base for rockets.

So these plus parts 

Edited by James Kerman
Redacted by a moderator

• Space X cannot be disconnected from Elon Musk. [Snip] so do you rally want to have him associated with KSP?

'''Most people agree''

''Most blinkered fan boys''

Anyways, i think SpaceX is having way too much impact on space/rocket areas to just ignore it.

Its part of space life either we like it or not, they are out there participating in the space race.

I truly believe having a taste of that ingame would have a positive impact.

And who would say no to new stock landing legs????We need something in that area for sure!!!

Eitherway, we have amazing mods for all of these.

Can most people stop claiming they know what most people think?

Oh wait did i just do a similar thing.Bye

Edited by James Kerman
redacted by a moderator

On 8/5/2020 at 4:27 AM, Bill Phil said:

Eh. I'm not a big fan of Elon and his ventures (for a variety of reasons). 

I would rather KSP work with more space programs and scientists, as well as focus on graphics and bugfixes. Maybe a few more DLC if they think they can add new and fun gameplay elements (a colony DLC would be interesting, though that might be better understood as an expansion and perhaps better left to KSP2). 

Yeah, i agree whit you two. In my oppinion, collaboration with national space agencies is a better point. And about Elon, well it's not, that he doesn't have impact on space-exploration and other important themes. But as a private person, he's more subject to errors as could be seen on his oppinion, about the covid crisis. Would we really want to work with somebody, who threats a crisis and a lockdown to safe the lives of people like this?

So, i don't want to start a political discussion about Elon and just wanted to clarify my point, why a collaboration with spaceX doesn't suit my taste.

Edit: And for reusability and spaceX, there are already being great mods out there:sticktongue:

Edited by James Kerman
Redacted by a moderator

Reusability is entirely feasible with stock parts, but is simultaneously niche enough that many players won’t care and yet is already covered by a range of mods that can make rockets either recoverable (get the funds back for them) or outright reusable (actually refuelling the rocket, adding new payload and launching it again).

Leaving aside all the arguing about satellite spam, it’s hard to see how KSP would benefit from any kind of SpaceX tie-in when there are so many missions that could be added from NASA, ESA, Roscosmos, JAXA and more. I would much rather have some additional rover parts or surface outpost components as stock.

29 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Leaving aside all the arguing about satellite spam, it’s hard to see how KSP would benefit from any kind of SpaceX tie-in when there are so many missions that could be added from NASA, ESA, Roscosmos, JAXA and more. I would much rather have some additional rover parts or surface outpost components as stock.

Rover parts and surface parts yes, i agree.

We need those, τhats a very good point.

Stock reusability is tricky, and most time ends with mixed results in beauty and in practicality.

I am....i dont know...why Elon and SpaceX gets so much hate.

Is it that weird need to ''hate'' something that is popular and mainstream?

Eitherway i do feel there is no need to pick sides when someone is trying to promote rockets/space.

And to clarify, picking sides, is not to dislike someone, but to actively trying to find bad things about them.

Edited by Boyster

34 minutes ago, mvb4298 said:

once there where there own space program

I feel you, sacrifices had to be made,

more parts, more updates, more players, more Kerbal.

The price is high but hopefully its worth it.

Edited by Boyster

2 hours ago, Boyster said:

Stock reusability is tricky, and most time ends with mixed results in beauty and in practicality.

Eitherway i do feel there is no need to pick sides when someone is trying to promote rockets/space.

And to clarify, picking sides, is not to dislike someone, but to actively trying to find bad things about them.

It's not about hating spaceX (I really like the progress they made and their concept). But Elon did some serious bad stuff... And it's impossible, to separate spaceX from Elon Musk.

Edited by rettter3

24 minutes ago, rettter3 said:

I'm stupid. I'm sorry, but the forum forbiddes to write the other word. I adjusted it to the forum rules.

No worries, can you tell a bit more of the bad stuff he did?

I am honestly interested, not trying to instantly deny/debunk them.

Edited by Boyster

4 hours ago, Boyster said:

No worries, can you tell a bit more of the bad stuff he did?

I am honestly interested, not trying to instantly deny/debunk them.

So, first of all, how he treated the covid crisis. He relativized it and called the lockdown fascist (Almost Holocaust-trivilization, at least in my oppinion. Staying at home isn't comparable with beeing murdered.), so this doesn't give me the impression, that he's really interested in science. At least not as much, as the national agencies(these days, I know the spacerace has been a lot about ideology). 

It's right, he's a big visionary, but first of all, he's a capitalist (I'm German and this is the best description I know:wink:)and an entertainer. For me, it doesn't really seem, like he's mainly interested in science and this is, what space-exploration should be about.

Secondly this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/15/elon-musk-british-diver-thai-cave-rescue-pedo-twitter

And some other things... A quick google search, about his behavior regarding the stock exchange scandal might be interesting for you too. 

And I don't think, that the people digging up the cobalt for the Teslas are earning good money (more of a general problem, but also something, where they should try to do better).

Yeah, this might be a too political view on it. If I violate the forum rules with this, please, tell me.

Edit: If he would be interested in science, he would have sent a probe to mars and not his Tesla.

Edited by rettter3

1 hour ago, rettter3 said:

If he would be interested in science, he would have sent a probe to mars and not his Tesla.

I disagree.  Probes are expensive (money), you have to track it (more money), and you have to dedicate a team of skilled engineers and scientists to it (even more money), and there probably are more expenses that I can't name off the top of my head.  Teslas are cheap compared to a complicated interplanetary probe and its upkeep.

This is getting a little off-topic though.  I wouldn't like to see a SpaceX themed update because it might push more bugs into an already buggy release that needs a couple bugfix-focused releases.

9 hours ago, Boyster said:

its cause elon is a jerk and isn't a good person:

threatens to move his factories to get around covid laws

pollutes the skies with a useless satellite constellation

names his son Xae a12 r38384ifjfni1923298ej92he892je982jhidns cause why not

he doesn't allow worker's unions what protect workers rights

he is uncarring about his employees and is the kind of boss who will unleash hell if he isn't happy with even the tiniest thing, like a spoiled king.

I do feel sorry for him though:

he had an abusive father

almost died from malaria

his first son died after being born

Do you ever think how many mistakes NASA, Boeing, Soviets did?

How many lives, money and people were harmed in the process?

YOU CANT just ignore every other wrongdoing just because you want to find a reason to not want SpaceX in Kerbal.

You want to be fair?There not a single company that didnt destroy lives, made huge mistakes and generally caused a lot of harm.

I am not saying that nulls every mistake Elon did or will do, i am saying the things he did so far are not enough reasons to justify leaving SpaceX out of the game.

If thats the case then lets leave even Nasa out of Kerbal because of the wrongs they did.

Its ridiculous from my side of view.

AGAIN, i am not trying to defend anyone but you cant be selective when picking the problems of any industry.

You have to see the whole picture, things are complicated, its like the usual saying, blame the system not the person.

Dunno i am out of brain juice, hope this post made some sense.

Edited by Boyster

1.11? Well....

If you want my opinion on what should be done, I personally think we don't need another expansion to tie the game into another space company.. Instead 1.11 should be more about "Quality of life" updates.." and whhere's a couple of good examples..

First off I'll be honest if you look at the mod pages there's a wide swing betgween some of the modders like Linux Guru Gamer who can keep up with the updates every time a new one is released and some who don't update for weeks/months till after an upate has come out.. Guys like Kerbal Konstructs and Environmental VVisual Enhancements are  couple of good examples, and others that go back prior to 1.8.0 To be honest, it would be nice to see something called 1.11 "Weather or not" and this one would be more about environmental visual enhancements like Clouds and updates like that .. after all that would be one option..

Another would be an idea called "Expand the universe" which would help out the guys like Kopernicus and the planet builders a lot.. I think these two areas the environmental ones for Kerbin and planet/Universe building is overlooked.. Because every time the game gets an update some of the gamers fall further and further behind the curve until they just finally give up and in some cases if they don't leave an opening to let someone to readopt the mod the mod falls by the wayside and disappears only to show up a few years later when someone discovers it then tries to revive it only to fail..

I think it's not about the modders not being able to program it's just that now that these updates are coming in every six months or so, it seems more and more modders are falling behind, and by the time the modders do finally get around to getting their mods updated the next Update has come out and has made the game mod obsolte again. and for the gamerr who loves mods like myself this can be rather frustrating having to wait up to six months and then when the next new update hits, you're behind the curve again..

So yeah I think it's time for some folks to either start learning to keep up with the curve or abandon projects and if you think I'm kidding just go take a look at the mudding   section of the forums and you'll get an idea of what is going on..

So yeah this is what 1.11 should be about updating the Kerbin environment with Clouds being allowed to mod the Universe to our own likings or maybe come up with an idea to start creating worlds outside the Kerbin system or giving the players enough time who do mod to bring the mods up to speed (with KSP 2 due out later next year or so), it's amazing that these features haven't been included and each time the unity game engine updates it seems that somebody are falling more and more by the way side as the mudding community is gettnig more and more frustrated at being able to keep up..

So yeah that's where 1.11 should go.. to address these issues and to help the mudding community along.. not to hinder them and to let palyers go back to the good old days when you didn'thave to wait too long to get a mod update.. or incorporate  it into the game.. Look at what they've done in the last couple of updates and you'll get an idea..

In fact why not call 1.11 the "It's a mod mod mod world update (a play on worlds of a famous comedy movie..) after all itf things don't star changing soon mor ena dmore modders will fall by the way side and slowly the mudding community will fall apart faster than a poorly built rocket designed by Bob Kerman

So that's just my thoughts on the matter, I'd like to hear some feedback o this..

Space_Coyote

P.S. I am still a fan of SPaceX don't get me worng but I think eveyrtime a space company gets involvedf the modders get left further and further in the dust.. and some of these mods are rather important to help build the game not destroy it.

7 minutes ago, Space_Coyote said:

1.11? Well....

All these are very nice but,

KSP 2 is coming, if they start implementing all the things you said, the selling points/sense of next gen KSP start to blend and disappear.

You can only improve so much before harming the sequel of the game.

If they start expanding so much in KSP, weather, visuals, better modding support, then the new KSP will be a very hard sell,

people will not be satisfied and will say, wait what? whats new? we already had most of these in KSP one for free updates.

So i am pretty sure there are legit limitations from KPS 2 , in what we can see in this game, and i am gonna take a guess

and say that includes weather or any special re work of modding support.

And well to be fair, i am sure at this point it will be maybe extremely hard in the current state to implement most of these.

Edited by Boyster

28 minutes ago, Space_Coyote said:

1.11 "Weather or not" and this one would be more about environmental visual enhancements like Clouds and updates like that .. after all that would be one option..

Excellent.  You won the Internet today.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.