KSP 1.11 update

Keeping As Much Support as possible on Older Systems and Very Low-Entry Systems is one of the best ways to Keep KSP Running in the Public I Hate the Idea of Abandoning Legacy software and hardware, Most of the People in the World do not have Access to or the Funds to Afford the Latest and Greatest Systems. New Systems will continue to Get Faster and Better, that is just simple Progress, but Keeping a Public Access Archive of Old Legacy Software costs Next to Nothing! What the Hell Do You think Wikipedia Does!?! Bethesda, MS, Take 2, IBM, and Apple...All want to Sell the Latest and Greatest $h!T to Get Our Money, An International Non-Profit like EMP and all the Worlds Museums of History an Industry would be the Best Caretakers of old Software with Free Open Public Access. Yes Private and for Profit Organizations can Exist together. If they Didn't; You Would Not Have Any Aquariums, Libraries, Museums or Zoos!  Including all Wiki's

Just now, Robert Lowsea said:

Keeping As Much Support as possible on Older Systems and Very Low-Entry Systems is one of the best ways to Keep KSP Running in the Public I Hate the Idea of Abandoning Legacy software and hardware, Most of the People in the World do not have Access to or the Funds to Afford the Latest and Greatest Systems. New Systems will continue to Get Faster and Better, that is just simple Progress, but Keeping a Public Access Archive of Old Legacy Software costs Next to Nothing! What the Hell Do You think Wikipedia Does!?! Bethesda, MS, Take 2, IBM, and Apple...All want to Sell the Latest and Greatest $h!T to Get Our Money, An International Non-Profit like EMP and all the Worlds Museums of History an Industry would be the Best Caretakers of old Software with Free Open Public Access. Yes Private and for Profit Organizations can Exist together. If they Didn't; You Would Not Have Any Aquariums, Libraries, Museums or Zoos!  Including all Wiki's

3 hours ago, Robert Lowsea said:

You can always download the previous versions of it via beta tab on steam, or if you bought directly from squad all of them are available for download there too.

So I don't see any reason why you're talking about potentially loosing access to older versions. 

As far as this entire debate in general.

People, SQUAD has already made their decision. The last several updates have focused on graphics in one way or another. Get a better system, stay on a previous version, or get left behind.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:52 AM, catloaf said:

Also, not sure if this is true, but wouldn't a stock implementation of EVE and scatterer be less laggy.

The probability that a SQUAD implementation of atmospheric effects (or any feature at all) is less laggy/buggy than an existing mod is unfortunately close to zero...

As per the OP: I like the idea of a SpaceX/Reusability update. However the aforementioned reusability mod is very good indeed, so an official set of parts aren't really necessary.

What I'd love to see are standalone variants of the robotic arm experiments that we can attach to our own robotic armatures. Also, how about some smaller robotic part variants for building small probes and rover armatures? As things stand at present, the only arms we can build are giant cranes (somewhat of an over exaggeration but you know what I mean) that look very silly on the stock rover probe module.

On the subject of rovers, how about a Rover update? Maybe some new folding wheels and parts for building Curiosity and Perseverance type rovers? This would be very timely as the Mars 2020 mission is now well its way.

I know this is an old wound to open, but maybe engineer Kerbals could drag fuel hoses from one craft to another? You wouldn’t need them to snake along the ground or anything, just straight from point A to B like the ones we have for onion/asparagus staging. KAS has a good example of this. They’d connect two craft together, without applying a physics connection (which would make this harder in orbit, but still possible if you’ve planned well), automatically disconnect if they get too long, and allow fuel transfer on celestial surfaces between craft that aren’t perfectly lined up without using the claw*. With Breaking Ground, I know EVA Kerbals can do more than just stand around looking pretty. They should be able to do this. 

*come on, from the way the claw looks you’d expect it would make a fuel leak, not a fuel link

Edited by RyanRising
Also I hope the fuel transfer bug is fixed by then

16 hours ago, RyanRising said:

I know this is an old wound to open, but maybe engineer Kerbals could drag fuel hoses from one craft to another? You wouldn’t need them to snake along the ground or anything, just straight from point A to B like the ones we have for onion/asparagus staging. KAS has a good example of this. They’d connect two craft together, without applying a physics connection (which would make this harder in orbit, but still possible if you’ve planned well), automatically disconnect if they get too long, and allow fuel transfer on celestial surfaces between craft that aren’t perfectly lined up without using the claw*. With Breaking Ground, I know EVA Kerbals can do more than just stand around looking pretty. They should be able to do this. 

*come on, from the way the claw looks you’d expect it would make a fuel leak, not a fuel link

"Hose physics" - Yaaaasss! Haha

[[[quits playing KSP in disgust at game's lack a accurate hose modelling]]]  

On 9/8/2020 at 11:48 PM, Robert Lowsea said:

Let's cut interstellar travel, scenes with tens of thousands of parts, graphics, etc. out of KSP 2 so it can support your old office laptop. Games aren't going to let themselves be dragged behind by those who won't upgrade their systems. Some people can't afford the necessary systems, yes, but some people can't afford games altogether. How about we just don't make games at all. Now that wouldn't make you happy, and neutering KSP 2 wouldn't make potential players happy either. 

On 8/4/2020 at 9:02 AM, GuessingEveryDay said:

That's only shortly after launch. They will then raise their orbits to where they will spend about 5 years, before either being replaced, or just deorbiting. And they have coatings that reduce the reflections. And of course, once we get Starship up and going, companies could create telescopes similar to Hubble or JWST, and launch them on Starship, therefore eliminating the need for ground-based observatories.

This is not only a vast oversimplification for the function of ground based telescopes and a misunderstanding of the role they play but also entirely disregards the large community of astrophotographers and night sky preservationists out there and the idea that there are "coatings that reduce the reflections" is laughable as that requires the satellites to then absorb the heat as opposed to redirect it. 

On 8/4/2020 at 9:34 AM, AlamoVampire said:

I however, being newish to deep sky astrophotography lack a guide scope or software to drive it so, i hand track.

Have you looked into ASCOM and running it through stellarium? I can't imagine that is beyond the capabilities of the mount you speak of. The software is all free.

Stock water improvement..

With all due respect to Squad, the stock water is trash. Since updates are starting to look more and more at graphical improvements, can’t the stock water get an overhaul? The code for it is out there...and I’m sure folks that can’t mod, don’t know how to, and console players would love this. 

Legacy Update

- Inland KSC (KSC2) updated with old SPH and runway and made into a usable facility, all buildings given a slight graphics overhaul to keep them as pleasing to the eye and EVA-accessible as the standard KSC buildings.

- Old VAB and SPH interiors at Inland KSC could be used while building, surrounding the player with happy memories.

- All old part models reintroduced as parts and part variants, again with updated textures to match the quality of others.

"Beneath the Waves" Update

- New launch area offshore near KSC for water-launched rockets, ships, or seaplanes, the area marked with buoys and a nearby rig to facilitate refueling and EVA shenanigans.

- New 10m-diameter parts, including fuel tanks, fairings, structural pieces, and "big dumb booster" engines that have no setting between "off" and "full throttle." Let the Sea Dragon fly.

- Water tanks for proper submarines.

- Pontoons for proper boats and seaplanes.

- Ground effect simulation; lift and perpendicular thrust values are increased near surfaces, letting ekranoplans and hovercrafts function properly.

- New underwater features for science and exploration.

"Lighter than Air" Update

- Airship components added, enabling the construction of mobile launch platforms, easy-to-fly research vessels, and floating Jool colonies.

- Parts that collect certain gases from atmospheres to convert into fuel and/or oxidizer added. Conversion and collection rates vary with atmosphere type and thickness.

"Thrown at the Horizon" Update

- More experimental and/or abandoned methods of propulsion added, including ramjets, pulsejets, LACEs, rotating detonation engines, linear aerospikes, etc.

Edited by JMBuilder

• 2 weeks later...

Rover update seems the best, because we need to give them a use, currently a biome hopper can do a rover's job better than the rover, and faster as well.

Contracts asking you to launch and land a rover(unkerballed, we need more reason to use probes, because the "exploration" contracts make you come back anyway, so why use a probe, when you can send a kerbal), I feel like contracts and rover specific experiments(done at points of interest for example, instead of biomes), these would include a chemcam which requires the experiment done at multiple points at least 250m apart(to not be super annoying) APXS could be another one, I just feel like there should be more of a point to rovers, as planes and biome hoppers do the job faster,  Another Idea would be the ability to "cache" samples on the surface of planets or moons, these would be small parts that can only store rover experiments, however they can be left anywhere and can be grabbed by a probe on the surface these sample tubes can then be returned to kerbin for 125% science reward, these COULD NOT be picked up by kerbals and can only be placed by probes.

On 9/8/2020 at 5:07 PM, kspnerd122 said:

also use scatterer, I have a plugin that reduces scatterer lag and ram usage, how to do it, rename scatterer folder, im not kidding this HALVES lag on my PC, which BTW is a decent laptop, being able to pull 45fps with 300 parts.

Holy cow, what kind kind of sorcery  is this?!?

In all seriousness, I (and many others) would like to download this plugin. (Wait...do you mean rename the scatter folder? How would that improve the fps?)

Edited by Lewie

maybe we will see cave update. C'mon guys, Minecraft just did it.

Lighting up the Tylo Cave - KSP Discussion - Kerbal Space Program Forums

My point is with this joke is that we don't know what it is so just a reminder anything can happen

Imho, hydrocosmos could expand the KSP space not up but down.

Like in Subnautica you can launch a space rocket, this could give space-like experience.
Underwater docking, UFO-like launches from the ocean, etc.

Also Laythe and Eve. An underwater base could protect from space radiation.

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.