KSP 1.11 update

On 10/29/2020 at 7:29 PM, Zwartekop said:

I'm an astrophotography and I've only gotten a starlink satelite in my frames once. It's really  not a big deal. You just take the bad frame out. 

We are still early on in this. When he is done trashing our sky with those garbage satellites (my opinion) the odds go up exponentially. Now, what kind of astrophotography do you do? Deep sky, where you have frames of 3-7 minutes (just for data, not counting darks or bias) or the more relaxed style of just taking like star trails or milkyway? Bottom line is, its going to get harder to avoid them.

Edited by AlamoVampire

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 7:34 AM, Lewie said:

Guys, guys, guys...

Back, a few months ago, when there was the ksptv livetsream, Umocapra did say that there was some incredible content coming in 1.11....so with all due respect, these suggestions are likely to be moot, seeing as Squad already has their plans in action.

Cheers-

Lewie

Very interesting. To be honest the current update as it is isn't too exciting for me. The only thing that I'm liking is the navigation lights.  I really wonder what this incredible content is considering they haven't included it in the KSP loading, which already has a bunch of new stuff for 1.11. 

36 minutes ago, Dfthu said:

Very interesting. To be honest the current update as it is isn't too exciting for me. The only thing that I'm liking is the navigation lights.  I really wonder what this incredible content is considering they haven't included it in the KSP loading, which already has a bunch of new stuff for 1.11. 

It's all just speculation right now, but the name of the update is very intriguing - 'Some Reassembly Required'. To me this seems to imply some sort of KIS-esque construction system. They usually release two KSP Loading articles before every update, so presumably we'll learn about the main feature of 1.11 in the next one.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Which celestial bodies still stay not revamped? Eeloo or some others too?

It looks like Eeloo, Pol (which I believe could still be done for this one), currently announced bodies for 1.11 (when did Gilly and Eve got their revamps?) and uh, yeah, Kerbol.

Edited by The Aziz

16 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

It looks like Eeloo, Pol (which I believe could still be done for this one), currently announced bodies for 1.11 (when did Gilly and Eve got their revamps?) and uh, yeah, Kerbol.

a kerbol revamp would actually be really nice

On 11/15/2020 at 6:23 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

It's all just speculation right now, but the name of the update is very intriguing - 'Some Reassembly Required'. To me this seems to imply some sort of KIS-esque construction system. They usually release two KSP Loading articles before every update, so presumably we'll learn about the main feature of 1.11 in the next one.

The fact that they're bringing Breaking Ground's inventory system into the main game is intriguing indeed.

Edited by Superfluous J

2 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

The fact that they're bringing Breaking Ground's inventory system into the main game is intriguing indeed.

...holy krap. I never realized that, but it looks like it is indeed true.

Not that I use it very often (I have literally two bases and I just left them be) but now base game people are going to get a glimpse of BG features. Good.

Maxsimal said something very interesting in the KSP loading. Someone asked if this update would include more objects that could break like engines and control surfaces. He response by saying "Not in 1.11 no."  Next updates might include more damageable objects?

On 8/4/2020 at 9:34 PM, AlamoVampire said:

@GuessingEveryDay you misunderstand. I am not talking about professional observatories. Point of opinion I find the idea of removing ground based observatories professional or otherwise repugnant. We are losing our night skies to incessant over illumination at an alarming rate which is also repugnant to me. But that is a rant for another day. My point is this:

Amateur Astronomy. Backyard. Homegrown. Let me use my setup and typical sky conditions as an example. I live about 19-20 miles outside a major city. My skies are bortle class 8. About as bad as it gets. I use a dslr on a celestron nexstar 6se scope, my mount is the AVX. I however, being newish to deep sky astrophotography lack a guide scope or software to drive it so, i hand track. At most I can get 7 seconds before i either lose the track or light-pollution blows the image out. Those issues (weather so not being considered as we assume clear skies for this conversation) give me less than stellar odds I will have usable data. 2 years ago I spent an entire night trying to image M42. Between light pollution, my tree and satellites crashing the party I had maybe 7 solid minutes of data. 7 minutes out of 6 hours of imaging. I however am not the only DSO photographer dealing with it. Others with better setups face it as well. The entire amateur astronomy community is facing this threat. And it is a threat. I am on mobile so linking is hard, but, Id suggest a view of the many videos on youtube about this and how its ruining astronomy, amateur or otherwise. Musk is particularly egregious because he wants thousands upon thousands of these nuisances.

@Boyster then all astronomers are as “short sighted”. They are trashing images and clogging up our skies.  The march forward must not ignore the path that allows that march. We are losing our night sky and thats tragic. Technology can march forward sure, but its HOW we do it with out costing us our connection to the nightsky is what matters. Its on Elon to find a way to keep them invisible to us on the ground. Not on us on the ground being affected by it to just sit back and try to solve it for ourselves. 

for all, a short video, under 4 minutes: Why SpaceX Starlink is bad for Astronomy | Didier Queloz    Channel Bullaki

these quotes from jurassic park are apt:

“Scientists are actually preoccupied with accomplishment. So they are focused on whether they can do something. They never stop to ask if they should do something.“

I learned from Jurassic Park that just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.”

Well then you're selfish. Think of the people who don't have any internet connection! If you want humanity to be better, then you have to unite them. But you are trying to do the opposite thing! Bro!

9 hours ago, Haycrendham said:

Well then you're selfish. Think of the people who don't have any internet connection! If you want humanity to be better, then you have to unite them. But you are trying to do the opposite thing! Bro!

I am going to be blunt. My opinion on satellite internet regardless on who the provider is, is based on the input of a friend who lives in very rural Canada using a satellite isp. Beyond that, I have every right to be upset at the loss of the night sky to pervasive and invasive light pollution as well as the very real risk of losing an entire nights data because of those satellites cluttering up the night sky and trashing hard earned data.

I would go on further but I wont.

Edited by AlamoVampire

On 11/22/2020 at 7:28 PM, AlamoVampire said:

I am going to be blunt. My opinion on satellite internet regardless on who the provider is, is based on the input of a friend who lives in very rural Canada using a satellite isp. Beyond that, I have every right to be upset at the loss of the night sky to pervasive and invasive light pollution as well as the very real risk of losing an entire nights data because of those satellites cluttering up the night sky and trashing hard earned data.

I would go on further but I wont.

Yeah, but that doesn’t mean this has to apply to the others too!

On 11/24/2020 at 10:10 AM, Haycrendham said:

Yeah, but that doesn’t mean this has to apply to the others too!

It does apply to any and all satellites. If the owners of said satellites cannot make them in such away as to avoid reflecting sunlight back down to earth and then deliberately sends scads of them up to run in a “train” then it absolutely applies. Regardless of who is doing the ground based observations and telescope based imaging the designers and owners of satellites that are designed to be in such an orbit that reflected sunlight is a possibility then they absolutely MUST factor ground based astronomers in and design according. I cannot stress that enough.

A SpaceX update?  That seems feasable.  It could come with an emphasis on career mode economics and... sustainibility(?) somehow if you incorporate Tesla cars and Spacex reusability.  I don't play much Career mode, so I don't know what of the capitalism currency needs an overhaul though.

All I know is; for either KSP 1.11 or KSP 2 +expansions or whatever;

-> Adjustable Landing Gear; so you know, there's actually some ability to adjust/manipulate the ride-height of spaceplanes and the like without breaking up the lines of spacecraft.
->adjustments to wings/control surfaces that allow for surface material tweaking, so you can add full heatshields to the bottoms of wings, perhaps going so far as to introduce stat changes as far as COM or part density/mass/etc. ->procedural wings (or wings that are substantially adjustable) would be even better.

->stock fuel-tank/fuel-switch adjustment system; yes this could mean some tanks get downsized/phased out as redundant, whatever... it's more sensible to have this be a stock system rather than leaving it to mods that introduce 1000 different standards,

59 minutes ago, betaking said:

stock fuel-tank/fuel-switch adjustment system; yes this could mean some tanks get downsized/phased out as redundant, whatever... it's more sensible to have this be a stock system rather than leaving it to mods that introduce 1000 different standards,

Especially with the ability to slapdash build ships in orbit coming in 1.11, this would be a really nice way to repurpose tanks on - for lack of a better term - the fly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.