Why did I find a free version of the game online?

I was looking for breaking ground help online when I came across this site: It gave the game for free to anyone online. The version is even up to date. Using my anti virus software, I downloaded the files and kept it inside the anti virus software. The files matched my purchased game files exactly (except for the saves). I deleted the files afterwards, but I am just wondering is this legal and should I report this is Squad or something. Link: <snipped> (Sorry if this is the wrong forum)

Edited by Deddly

I, BejK, humbly submit a toast to "Cant think of a username" for successfully managing to pirate Kerbal Space Program so that he may play the launching of the boosters. Congratulations Cant, enjoy your explosions. -Tzz- Ah! *clack*

P.S. You should use well encased virtual machines to test software you think might contain malware. Keep that in mind.

7 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Hi @Cant think of a username, thanks for reporting that site, we'll let the devs know about it. You are right to be suspicious - it's not legal to redistribute the game like that, it's piracy, so I removed the link from your post :)

Thanks @Deddly for handling this! I went ahead and reported this website for piracy.

21 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

P.S. You should use well encased virtual machines to test software you think might contain malware. Keep that in mind.

Yes I know. That's why I use my expensive Anti virus app. It said the files might has a virus in it and asked me to run tests. But I didn't in case it didn't work. just so you know, I deleted it.

11 minutes ago, Deddly said:

it's not legal to redistribute the game like that, it's piracy, so I removed the link from your post

Oops. I just wanted you to know the site. Sorry if that's considered "sharing" the site.

2 minutes ago, Cant think of a username said:

Oops. I just wanted you to know the site. Sorry if that's considered "sharing" the site.

Thank you, you did well. If you find any more sites like that, please send any moderator a PM and we'll look into it :)

On 8/4/2020 at 2:43 PM, Bej Kerman said:

I, BejK, humbly submit a toast to "Cant think of a username" for successfully managing to pirate Kerbal Space Program so that he may play the launching of the boosters. Congratulations Cant, enjoy your explosions. -Tzz- Ah! *clack*

I, Kurbus, humbly submit a toast to Bej Kerman for sucessfully making a YandereDev reference so that he may get all the reputation. Congratulations, Bej, enjoy your karma.

edit: just dont pirate, or publicly say you are going to pirate anything

Edited by Kurbus

• 1 year later...
On 8/5/2020 at 7:31 PM, Deddly said:

They call it free games because that makes it sound good. The correct term is stolen games. 

Technically the correct term is "copyright infringed games." Stealing or theft generally refers to an offense which causes the owner to lose possession of the item. Copyright infringement is a separate thing.

On 8/5/2020 at 5:11 AM, Deddly said:

And it's a crime. 

Only in some cases; typically it seems to be a tort instead (emphasis added):

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-infringement.html

Copyright infringement is generally a civil matter, which the copyright owner must pursue in federal court. Under certain circumstances, the infringement may also constitute a criminal misdemeanor or felony, which would be prosecuted by the U.S. Department of Justice.

Apparently the elevation to "crime" occurs when the infringer benefits financially (emphasis added):

https://www.justice.gov/archives/jm/criminal-resource-manual-1847-criminal-copyright-infringement-17-usc-506a-and-18-usc-2319

There are four essential elements to a charge of criminal copyright infringement. In order to sustain a conviction under section 506(a), the government must demonstrate: (1) that a valid copyright; (2) was infringed by the defendant; (3) willfully; and (4) for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.