Find Squad Stele and Unlock a Random Technology

Once I watched a KSP video of an author. Every time he finds a dark green Squad stele (just the same as one outside KSC) on an planet, he will be given a random new technology that he hasen't unlock at the research centre. I don't know whether it is because of a mod or a setting in the difficulty. Anyone can help? I think this give me more prolulsion to explore other planets.

Edited by Barry Kerman

Moved to Gameplay Questions.

The Green Monoliths are randomly generated with each new save, one per planet I believe.   They are supposed to show up in a different location each time.   Discovering one, yes, will unlock a new tech.  This has been part of the stock game for some time.   Use your probes and such that have Kerbnet access to scan the planet to discover the locations. 

Edit:  Huh, I guess Stele is a better word for them than Monolith

Edited by Gargamel

The one outside KSC is not green. They have to be green ones to get free tech. And as gargamel said, there is only one per CB, and they are in randomized locations. Yes, it is stock -- not a mod.

50 minutes ago, RizzoTheRat said:

How long ago did this come in?  I've been playing on and off for years and never heard of it.

It's been a bit under four years.  Squad added green monoliths in v1.2, and to my knowledge, green monoliths have always had this tech node unlocking behaviour.

10 hours ago, RizzoTheRat said:

How long ago did this come in?  I've been playing on and off for years and never heard of it.

They're placed in random locations on each planet, so it's not like you can find a Kodor's Travel Guide to the Green Monoliths.   You need to literally smack into one, see it from a low low orbit as you whiz by, scrambling to figure out where you are, or use kerbnet to find all the anomalies, and then hope the one you just sent the custom lander to isn't a boring one. 

40 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

They're placed in random locations on each planet, so it's not like you can find a Kodor's Travel Guide to the Green Monoliths.   You need to literally smack into one, see it from a low low orbit as you whiz by, scrambling to figure out where you are, or use kerbnet to find all the anomalies, and then hope the one you just sent the custom lander to isn't a boring one. 

And let's hope the tech tree is not maxed out by the time you do all that.

8 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I use ScanSat so I map bodies before I land there and the map highlights anomalies, I've just never bothered visiting them as I usually just use the maps to get the Lat/Long of flattish bits in the different biomes to land on.

Time to start visiting anomalies!

I've been playing for a couple of years and never realized this. That's probably because I only started playing career mode recently. I went and found one on Kerbin and, sure enough, I got a free tech from it. I thought it was interesting that it picked a 1,000-point tech even though I had 550-point techs remaining. I guess it's purely random. I think most places would be easier than Kerbin to find the green monolith because there aren't many other things. For example, the Easter Egg list for Minimus lists only one feature besides the green monolith and it's at a fixed location.

yXk1LOA.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.