Kerbal Histories (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Kerminator K-100

A month ago I made a map of Kerbin. At first it was just a map but as I began deciding to write stories about KSP, I decided I needed more stuff. So I began writing a history and developing the Kerbal society. You can use this history in your own works but I do ask that you credit me if you do.

Here is the map - (Also a work in progress) I am open to suggestions and help as it will make this map even better.

5VaPKdN.jpg

A massive thank you to @Pds314 for these amazing color maps (all the maps are located here):

kAwFK8O.png

TABLE OF CONTENTS: (Will add links as pages are created)

Maps

Pre-History (10,000 BSP -5,000 BSP)*

Rise of the Kingdom of Acnalb-Ayalp

The Age of Revolutions

Rise and Fall of the United Kerbal Republic

The Great Anatom war

The Rise of the KKF

The History of Spaceflight

Timeline

The countries (Detailed info about each country):

Aisur

Alusninep

Anatom

Harvester-Massif

Kerbal Island Republic (KIR)

Kerbal Kommunist Federation (KKF)

Kingdom of Acnalb-Ayalp

Kraken's Claw

Nis Erbmon

Nopaj

North Anatom

Odalegnoc-Arriet

Ogal

Retarc

United Kerbal Republic

West Kolfus

Woomera

Currently used in:

The original map that I used came from: @Pds314's map, located here:

Or the map can be downloaded here: 9Qc05lY.jpg  

*BSP = Before Space Flight

Edited by Kerminator1000
Reworded

• 3 weeks later...

If I may make some observations/questions here:

1. It genuinely surprises me that the Osotnev river and south of it are not either controlled by the KKF or independent, as it's situated behind a mountain range on a very fertile-looking river delta, with no geographical barriers to block the influence of the KKF. It's also very likely the KKF would see access to the crater sea as top priority, so unless the KKF and the Odalegnoc-Arriet are on very good terms and there is no sense of desire for independence, I would predict this region would not be part of the Odalegnoc-Arriet.

2. Who do the islands north of West Kolfus belong to? Is it west Kolfus? KIR? Unclaimed? Do these large islands have names? What about the round large island Northeast of the KSC?

3. Does the sea and islands between Anatnom and West Kolfus have a name?

4. KIR seems to be a really powerful naval "empire" (not saying they're necessarilly exploitative and imperialistic, just sprawling but thinly spread), but it seems to be that there are narrow straits between some of their territories that they don't control. E.G. The south polar ice cap - Alusninep strait, and the Retarc - Kraken's claw strait.

5. Does anyone own the Crater Bay islands? These are sizeable, scientifically valuable islands with at least some infrastructure on them, so it would seem to me that someone would own them.

6. A communist state and a monarchy, both with significant facilities, sharing a land border ~700 kilometers in length might lead to some interesting situations... I can't imagine that's a very stable state of affairs.

7. Where exactly is the Straight of Kolfus? Is it the whole gap between it and Nopaj?

8.West Kolfus's border with Anatnom seems quite far to the east. At the point of minimum land thickness rather than the nearby mountains? Is this border the result of some kind of treaty or is West Kolfus much more powerful and able to just dictate where the border is? I would think those mountains would be the border between two very large countries like that.

Also would you like a color map because if so that is definitely something I can do.

14 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Nopaj looks like it might have a dispute with Aisur over who's 6000er it is.
Also I'm very surprised that Anatnom and North Anatom have none lol.

6000er?

13 hours ago, Pds314 said:

It genuinely surprises me that the Osotnev river and south of it are not either controlled by the KKF or independent, as it's situated behind a mountain range on a very fertile-looking river delta, with no geographical barriers to block the influence of the KKF. It's also very likely the KKF would see access to the crater sea as top priority, so unless the KKF and the Odalegnoc-Arriet are on very good terms and there is no sense of desire for independence, I would predict this region would not be part of the Odalegnoc-Arriet.

I actually didn't think of this, I think I'll need to fix that. The KKF and Odalegnoc-Arriet are supposed to be enemies. In a later post I'll work a bit on the history of this world.

Who do the islands north of West Kolfus belong to? Is it west Kolfus? KIR? Unclaimed? Do these large islands have names? What about the round large island Northeast of the KSC?

Can't believe I forgot about those:blush:

KIR seems to be a really powerful naval "empire" (not saying they're necessarilly exploitative and imperialistic, just sprawling but thinly spread), but it seems to be that there are narrow straits between some of their territories that they don't control. E.G. The south polar ice cap - Alusninep strait, and the Retarc - Kraken's claw strait.

Ah, definitely need to fix that, but yes KIR is very militaristic and a great naval power. They are on good terms with the UKR and recover the spacecraft (for a large fee).

Does anyone own the Crater Bay islands? These are sizeable, scientifically valuable islands with at least some infrastructure on them, so it would seem to me that someone would own them.

Also forgot about those. Retarc owns those because the Kraken's claw is more of an unclaimed territory filled with nomadic kerbals and rebel groups.

A communist state and a monarchy, both with significant facilities, sharing a land border ~700 kilometers in length might lead to some interesting situations... I can't imagine that's a very stable state of affairs.

Yeah the KKF kind of hates everyone.

Where exactly is the Straight of Kolfus? Is it the whole gap between it and Nopaj?

Yeah it should be from the islands to the peninsulas up at the top.

West Kolfus's border with Anatnom seems quite far to the east. At the point of minimum land thickness rather than the nearby mountains? Is this border the result of some kind of treaty or is West Kolfus much more powerful and able to just dictate where the border is? I would think those mountains would be the border between two very large countries like that.

Good point, I need to fix that to.

Also would you like a color map because if so that is definitely something I can do.

And finally yes that would be great but can you wait a little bit before making it, I'll have to remake this map (add in all the fixes and name the mountain ranges). Except for errors or further suggestions I think that if you could make a color map, that would be great!

Also in a little bit I'll start posting backstories about the countries.

Edited by Kerminator1000

Pre-History of Kerbin

(This time period is estimated to be from about year 10,000 BSP (Before Space Programs) to about 5,000 BSP)

In the beginning there was nothing. Darkness reigned until SQUAD appeared. The mysterious entity known as SQUAD formed the world of Kerbin and the surrounding planets, filling the universe with light and life. Back then the planets and moons were Moho, Eve, Kerbin, Duna (Ike and Egar*) Jool (Laythe, Vall, Tylo, Pol, and Bop) and finally Eeloo. Creatures of all sizes climbed over the craters of Moho, swam the seas of Eve and scuttled over the hills of Duna. All was good and SQUAD left the universe to exist.

But they had made an error because on the spiky moon of Bop lived a horrible terror, the great Deep Space Kraken! The kraken hated all the life because he felt they had gotten better places to live. So he began to destroy the life on all planets and moons. First he raised the orbit of Eeloo and froze every plant and animal. Then he stripped away the atmospheres of Vall, Bop, and Pol and increased the gravity of Tylo to bone crushing amounts. Laythe managed to escape his notice because of its proximity to Jool, but the distance from the sun made all life extinct anyway. On Dres he attempted to kill the inhabitants but Dres fought back, enraging him. He vowed to destroy the Dresians and ripped a massive tentacleful of rock from the surface, creating the canyon, and throwing it into orbit, creating the Drestoids**. Duna and Ike were also stripped of their atmospheres. Kerbin was skipped by the Kraken because at the time no life existed. On Eve he raised the level of the atmosphere until the creatures baked and on Moho he removed all solar protection, blasting the world clean.

When SQUAD returned again and saw what had happened, they fought the Kraken, re exiling him to Bop. Then they created new life on Kerbin to replace the life killed by the Kraken.

2000 years passed and the Kraken began to stir from his exile. Eve had captured an asteroid and Kerbin had captured a comet, Kerbals had begun to read, write and speak and were working on building a pyramid. The Kraken was stuck on Bop and could not directly destroy the kerbals. So he created a race of aliens in flying saucers and sent them to destroy Kerbin. However they all failed, crashing into the poles. Angry at his failure he grabbed the moon Egar, from Duna, and threw it at Kerbin. It crashed into Kerbin in what is now Crater Sea and ruined Kerbin's climate and atmosphere, killing thousands of Kerbals***. The bits of Kerbin that were thrown into space, assembled in orbit and became the Mun. The last alien, who had missed crashing into Kerbin and was in orbit waiting to strike, crashed into the Mun.

SQUAD returned for the third time and destroyed the Kraken, scattering his soul into a million pieces. Then they vowed to never leave the Kerbol system by itself. To remind the Kerbals that survived the impact who had defeated the Kraken for them, they set up monoliths on every planet and moon. 

The Kerbals grew and prospered, forming countries and cities everywhere. But every so often one of the pieces of the Kraken's soul comes to Kerbin, looking to destroy the Kerbals. So few kerbal centuries SQUAD appears to fix the problems that the Kraken has created. 

But the Kraken is not the only extra-terrestrial to visit the Kerbol system. Mysterious things have appeared that Kerbals have no explanation for. But the mysterious visitors seem to be mostly harmless and most Kerbals focus on keeping the Kraken away. 

Today the main religion on Kerbin is SQUADism where followers go to service every 10 days and pray that the Kraken will stay away from Kerbin, followed by songs mourning for the lost aliens in the Kerbol system and songs of praise for SQUAD. However many scientists have now started to believe in natural processes such as the Big Kaboom or Natural Choices but have no explanation for the mysterious objects around the Kerbol system.

*A large moon in Duna orbit, reportedly half desert, half icy wasteland

**Later when Kerbals began looking into space, the Kraken created a society that claimed Dres did not exist, this theory still persists today and has more followers than the Flat Kerbal Society.

**Exact death tolls are unknown but it is estimated that 78% of Kerbals perished, either immediately or in the following years

Source: The Kerbal Archaeological Institute of Really Old Things (Used with permission)

Edited by Kerminator1000

@Kerminator1000

I made a colorful map in what might very loosely be described as "paradox game style."

I don't know what colors things should be though and I interpreted borders as the "spirit of the law" rather than perfectly tracing them. If colors or borders or names or style or fonts or labels in general need to be adjusted feel free to ask.

fBkndoz.jpg

Edited by Pds314

As for what 6000er means, I just mean >6000 meter peak. There are only 14 such peaks on Kerbin (well, with over a few hundred meter prominence anyhow).

Ahh, okay.

12 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Terrainless version

<snip>

Terrain-unobstructive version. Good for figuring out what the actual geography of the country is.

<snip>

Thank you so much! These look amazing!

I don't know what colors things should be though and I interpreted borders as the "spirit of the law" rather than perfectly tracing them. If colors or borders or names or style or fonts or labels in general need to be adjusted feel free to ask.

Don't worry, it looks amazing, adding this to the OP right now!

EDIT: This is also the official signature picture!

NEWEST EDIT: Actually @Pds314 there is a small typo where you spelled it AcnalP instead of AcnalB 

Edited by Kerminator1000

22 minutes ago, KerballingSmasher said:

Wow. @Pds314 and @Kerminator1000, I'm impressed! I look forward to seeing what comes next in this from both of you!

Thank you!

I'm hoping to finish up the histories of the countries soon, just working out a rough outline for now, but it would be super helpful if you guys could glance over the posts for errors or mistakes.

Edited by Kerminator1000

10 hours ago, Kerminator1000 said:

Ahh, okay.

Thank you so much! These look amazing!

Don't worry, it looks amazing, adding this to the OP right now!

EDIT: This is also the official signature picture!

NEWEST EDIT: Actually @Pds314 there is a small typo where you spelled it AcnalP instead of AcnalB 

I'll update that. It's very simple to fix.

Alright. Fixed.

Unobtrusive:

B3rj8RS.jpg

Bright overlay:

gSFJT0X.jpg

Terrainless:

SAlYBLk.png

Rise of the Kingdom of Acnalb-Ayalp

Dedicated to @KSK and @adsii1970 whose amazing histories and world building inspired mine.

Many historians believe that the KAA is on the first place kerbals ever walked on Kerbin. Many historical digs have shown huts dating to 7000 BSP and a mysterious pyramid is dated to be from Jool 15, 6692 BSP. The reason the date is so accurate is beacuse the oldest Kerbal book has been found inside the pyramid. The book claims to be the diary of King Tut-Un Jeb-Ahn king of the Kerbal Empire. The entry for Jool 15, 6692 says "Pyramid completed, I will die there eventually. Found some grain in a bin in the mountains.  Ate it and laughed as the peasants asked me to please stop eating their food." We can see that Kerbals had invented farming and fiefdom, and that Tut-Un Jeb-Ahn was a jerk.

5AHZL5l.png?1

But his diary is still the only record of Kerbal life from ancient times. He also records a vision on Eve 12, 6660 that supposedly told him to move underground. Whoever or whatever caused that vision single handedly saved Kerbal life because on Dres 6th, 6660, Edgar slammed into Kerbin, killing all kerbals who hadn't moved underground. Tut-Un Jeb-Ahn seems to have died soon after because the entry from Ike 30th, 6661 reads: "A entrie ritten bye Tut-Un Jeb-Ahns servnt Lenkel. Tut-Un dieed tody aftr bing stbbed bye attakers. His wife semed sad but mved him to the pyrmd qick. She left son aftr wth a tall Kerb"

While the wording is confusing, the general meaning seems to be that Tut-Un was murdered, perhaps by his wife's secret lover. It also shows that Lenkel, while bad at it, was able to write and possibly read. It seems that Lenkel was a early secretary or steward. 

After the diary was buried, all records end. Until 1497 when a letter appears from a Kerb called Kelton to his wife. 

"Dear Wife,

Today the armies of Derely Kerman are advancing toward the city of Jeb-Ahn!* It seems victory is in our grasp for our enemies laid down their weapons and ran when we fired our rockets at them! Perhaps I will be home by Wintstrice** and we can celebrate little Geocraft's birthday! 

- Kelton

This is also the earliest know record of rockets, which the KAA is reported to have used. So deductive reasoning tells us that this is also the first known mention of the KAA. Rising from humble beginnings as a band of wandering Kerbals, the KAA discovered gunpowder and invented the first SRB, which they used to attack enemies. Derely seems to have discovered how advanced they were and decided to take over the world. 

His campaign was highly successful and by 1499 the KAA had conquered all the tribes and cities in the Dessert Desert (It's unknown if Kelton ever made it home to Geocraft and his wife). Following their start the KAA began to globalize, conquering the modern areas of Odalegnoc-Arriet and the UKR by the year 936. The KIR seems to be the only country that did not fall to the KAA's rockets and record show that they built a massive navy and moved to the islands south of the Dessert Desert. 

By the year 891 the KAA had gotten the urge to conquer some more and attacked the Anatom continent. The Anatomians seem to be slightly more rebellious than the other countries and managed to hold the KAA off at the the newly built Mountian Wall.

PJlRmHg.png

Archaeological digs have revealed a massive battle in the mountains as well as a sea battle in the Mountain Sea***. The KAA was defeated and retreated, leaving Anatom alone for now. However they then began building shipyards, where the KSC and Island Airfield stand today, and building up a navy. Many of their ruins show that they experimented with SRB propelled boats which turned out to be a colossal failure. 

Despite their early fails at building boats, the KAA managed to build a navy in 886 BSP, a navy so powerful it was second only to the KIR's. The new navy sailed to the Kolfus coast and began raiding and conquering the entire continent. The Anatomian armies were all caught at the Mountian Wall and were destroyed. By the year 868 the KAA had conquered all of the continent, except for the Kraken's Claw.

The KIR should not be, as the Ayalpians did, forgotten. In 872, tired of the KAA's oppressive rule, they began sailing toward the desert. After many raids and battles, the KIR managed to conquer the area now known as The Southern Peninsula. Having built up a substantial base they began marching on Jeb-An, capital of the KAA.

©Y020 Kerbal University Department of History, all rights reserved.

*it seems to be the capital city of some early country and is built in around the same place as the modern capital of KAA by the same name, Latitude: 6.185756, Longitude: -129.023437.

**Kerbal version of Christmas. On Winstrice kerbals build snowkerbs on their lawns and the best built snowkerbs have their arms replaced by candy sticks and eyes and mouth replaced with more candy. Parents also leave presents next to the Snowkerbs or hidden around the yard (many Kerbals have started to put them in the house).

*** The ancient spelling is Mountain and is definitely not a typo that I didn't feel like fixing

Part Two (Coming Soon)

Index

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.