[1.8.x, 1.9.x, 1.10.x] Realistic Power Draw (Beta)

linuxgurugamer

Bob hit the button to activate the Mystery Goo experiment.  Nothing happened.  He hit it again.  Still nothing.  He tried the Atmospheric Fluid Spectro-Variometer, it too was unresponsive.  One experiment after another;  the Accelerometer, the Gravioli Detector, the Surface Scanning module, even the Narrow-Band Scanner (which had never failed before); they all were nothing more than lumps of expensive metal.  At least the thermometer was working, it showed a nice temperature of 20C. "What could it be?" he wondered.  Everything had been going so well.  The rover was on its final test run before full deployment.  It was loaded with experiments, and all of a sudden, nothing was working.  He sighed, and tried to start up the rover to head back to base.  Nothing!  The rover was all out of power, the batteries were exhausted by the climb up the mountain at night.

It came to him in a flash!  The rover was out of power!  None of the experiments which needed power were working either!

All these experiments needed power to operate, and the batteries were dead.  

Bob muttered a few words under his breath about mission directors who always sit behind their desk, never venturing out into the field.  He set the brakes, got out and went to sleep on a soft patch of dirt. 

He was woken up by Kerbol shining right into his eyes, he had forgotten his eye shades.  He got up, muttering, climbed back into the rover and checked the batteries.  The solar panels were doing their job, slowly feeding the batteries with power.  He tried the experiments again, and was gratified to see that they all were working.  His radio crackled, and Werner's voice came over, demanding to know where he was.  He grinned, turned off the radio, and started driving back to base.  It was a long drive, he knew he would feel better by the end, and it would annoy Werner.  

=============================

This is a small mod which merely adds power draw to various stock parts which seem to operate by magic. 

The amounts I've set up seem to be reasonable, I am open to input regarding them.  Also, I'd be willing to add sections for other mods.

The parts which are adjusted and the amounts are:

Group   ResourceAmtNeededToStart  ResourceAmtNeededToEnd   
Aero        
  Inflatable Heat Shield 5 5  

ResourceAmtUsedForDeploy  MinimumResAmt  PowerConsumption 
Resources   5 5 0
  ISRU      
  MiniDrill 5 5 0
  OrbitalScanner 5 5 3
  RadialDrill 5 5 0
  SurveyScanner 5 5 1.5

Science   ResourceAmtNeededToStart  ResourceAmtNeededToEnd   
  GooExperiment 5 5  
  science_module 15 5  
    ResourceAmtUsedForDeploy     
  sensorAtmosphere 5    
  InfraredTelescope 5    

Utility   ResourceAmtNeededToStart  ResourceAmtNeededToEnd   
  dockingPortLateral 5 5  
  dockingPort1 5 5  
  GrapplingDevice 5 5  
  mk2CarboBayL 7.5 7.5  
  mk2CargoBayS 5 5  
  mk2DockingPort 5 5  
  mk3CargoBayL 7.5 7.5  
  mk3CargoBayM 5 5  
  mk3CargoRamp 5 5  
  mk3CargoBayS 4 4  
  ServiceBay_125 2.5 2.5  
  ServiceBay_250 5 5  
  ServiceBay_125_v2 2.5 2.5  
  ServiceBay_250_v2 5 5  

Dependency

Availability

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 1 month later...

@linuxgurugamer, looking through DMagicOrbitalScience, DMagic uses a lot of custom modules (15 from my count) for each of the experiments.  I suspect that it would not be easy to support?  Anyway, since I was not sure on how to best approach that, didn't do a pull request.  I did put together an Excel sheet that uses functions to create a framework to create MM code for various science parts.  I added DMagicOrbitalScience in case you do add that at some point.  Currently have your LTech (non-station) science, Bumblebee (which doesn't seem to be working and can't diagnose through the log files), CNAR, James Webb, Luciole, Mars Direct, and Science Pancake.  This is the benefit of being in a long meeting at work in which I didn't need to participate. Let me know if you have any questions on the Excel.

Excel: Dropbox

Edited by hemeac

39 minutes ago, hemeac said:

@linuxgurugamer, looking through DMagicOrbitalScience, DMagic uses a lot of custom modules (15 from my count) for each of the experiments.  I suspect that it would not be easy to support?  Anyway, since I was not sure on how to best approach that, didn't do a pull request.  I did put together an Excel sheet that uses functions to create a framework to create MM code for various science parts.  I added DMagicOrbitalScience in case you do add that at some point.  Currently have your LTech (non-station) science, Bumblebee (which doesn't seem to be working and can't diagnose through the log files), CNAR, James Webb, Luciole, Mars Direct, and Science Pancake.  This is the benefit of being in a long meeting at work in which I didn't need to participate. Let me know if you have any questions on the Excel.

Thanks, I'll look at it tomorrow

48 minutes ago, hemeac said:

I'm a bit puzzled.  This mod merely adds power usage to those parts which don't have any (so-called magic parts).  All of the DMagic stuff already uses power, so what are you looking to do here?

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm a bit puzzled.  This mod merely adds power usage to those parts which don't have any (so-called magic parts).  All of the DMagic stuff already uses power, so what are you looking to do here?

Then absolutely nothing of any value :-).  Please forget I asked about that... The config still has patches for the other mods mentioned above that you are welcome to grab.

6 minutes ago, hemeac said:

Then absolutely nothing of any value :-).  Please forget I asked about that... The config still has patches for the other mods mentioned above that you are welcome to grab.

Ok, I'll review it tomorrow.  Thank you.

Yeech, I AM tired.  I just realized that what you had in the spreadsheet are patches, not code from the mod.  I'll review the whole thing, I take back what I said (for now), until I can review those mods

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 8/9/2020 at 6:24 PM, BigFatStupidHead said:

So far, so good. Next up is hard mode, where Kerballed parts cost power to run the AC.

I think that mode is called Kerbalism :p

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Experiments use power, but last I checked, stuff like deploying modules did not.

@OP, if for whatever reason you want to expand the scope a bit, I imagine rocket engines would need some spark to get going?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.