Low frame rates near space station

Hi guys. 

I'm new to the game, and I experience really low fps(8-9) when near high part count vessels i.e space stations. The game normally sits at 50-60fps, but as i get closer that 2.0kms to a station it drops.

I'm running;

B450 motherboard

Ryzen 3200 @ 3.6ghz watercooled

XFX RX580 8Gb

16GB RAM

64bit, windows 10

Desktop runs off 512GB m.2 SSD

The game is on a 500GB HDD

It doesn't help if i ramp up CPU to 4.0GHz because CPU hovers at about 60-80%. The GFX Card barely works at 0-40%-800-100mhz

I am running the game with everything maxed out.I'm not sure what's going on here?Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

@James KermanI'm using EVE(not working correctly) which did admittedly drop my high of 50-60fps down to 35-45fps.. MechJeb2 and Redux aren't working at all, and a textures pack which i also think is not 100%. That's about it..

But i was doing it before i added the mods anyway.

It is also KSP like 1.0? I know, i was just getting a feel for the game, haha.

Edited by TylaJames
Directed to person

32 minutes ago, TylaJames said:

I'm using EVE(not working correctly) which did admittedly drop my high of 50-60fps down to 35-45fps.

Visual mods are bad for the frame rate. They use a lot of ressources. The other mods shouldn't be problematic, but make sure you install them properly. Some mods (maybe EVE too) need other mods to work. I use a tool called CKAN that helps to install and manage the mods. If you select a Mod in CKAN, it will also automatically select the mods that this mod needs to run. Check it out, it makes your life a lot easier.

46 minutes ago, TylaJames said:

I'm new to the game, and I experience really low fps(8-9) when near high part count vessels i.e space stations. The game normally sits at 50-60fps, but as i get closer that 2.0kms to a station it drops.

If you aren't close to the station, the game doesn't load the station. But when you get close enougth, it does. And this means it has to simulate all the parts of the station too, which means a lot of work to your processor. If it is a big station with a high part count, it isn't unusual that the game slows down a little bit, but this frame rate you described doesn't seem normal to me. How much parts does your station have?

Edited by s_gamer101

32 minutes ago, TylaJames said:

It is also KSP like 1.0? I know, i was just getting a feel for the game, haha.

1.0 is a very old version and likely why your mods aren't working. You can update to more recent versions which have had a lot of performance fixes from your point of purchase. Also your issue has been moved to tech support (PC, modded) for better visibility.

@s_gamer101 Thanks, I'll definitely look at using CKAN too, I'm going to move to a newer version of the game anyway, so I'll change a few things up. 

But mods aside. Even on a fresh version of the game, is there no way around the low frames? It doesn't seem that I'm CPU or gpu bound, yet it stays at a constant 8-9fps. It is quite a few parts, but i wouldn't say abnormal?

@James Kerman when i realised the mods weren't firing up correctly, excuse the pun, i kinda figured version 1.0 might be the culprit , haha. Definitely going to upgrade! As for the performance issue, if its not CPU or gpu related, is it just the game that's freaking out?

I mean 1.0.

Edited by TylaJames
Specification

1 hour ago, TylaJames said:

I experience really low fps(8-9) when near high part count vessels i.e space stations.

Don't we all. Welcome to KSP.

How many parts is "high part count" anyway?

15 minutes ago, TylaJames said:

Definitely going to upgrade! As for the performance issue, if its not CPU or gpu related, is it just the game that's freaking out?

I would say the old version and incompatible mods are causing the issue. Your system looks like it should run KSP no problems.

26 minutes ago, TylaJames said:

About 300 parts?

What fps should i be getting?

That's not as excessive as I expected TBH, but I can't really comment on expected performance in 1.0 any more, it's been too long. I'd expect considerably more than the ~8FPS you claim with the current (1.10.1) game version anyway.
KSP is a notorious CPU (and RAM) hog, but sub-10FPS is pretty miserable on a machine like yours.

Personally, I wouldn't bother looking at performance problems until you've sorted out the obvious - 1.0 being a 5 year old release for a start.
As for mods, anything that's "not working properly" is a prime suspect, and as well as looking through (and/or linking here) the log file for errors (a plugin spamming null reference exceptions every frame will murder performance)
I'd also suggest making comparisons to an unmodded setup before coming to any conclusions. Some mods are pretty hard on framerate even when they are working properly.

If you're going to mod KSP, finding and becoming passingly familiar with that log file will also go a long way to not needing to ask technical questions here... and be needed when you inevitably run into the bugs :P

@steve_vi apologise, i just saw this is 1.1.0, i really thought off hand it was 1.0? so i just took a good look at the fps, around the station, it was more like 5/6 fps exactly. But if i turned the physics Delta time from max to min, i got 12/13 fps constant. 

And my frame rate was about as tempremental before i modded. So i guess its just a little out dated. 

I'm just going to upgrade.

One KSP 1.10.0 please. Cheque!

Edited by TylaJames
Additional content

I thought i would update on my progress. 

I went with KSP 1.8 and all was well.. Then i modded it, and i was back to point A.  

After installing, uninstalling and re-installing in a different order and analysing fps.. Over and over again. I think i figured it out. Scatterer was killing it. I removed it, and all is well once again! 

18 minutes ago, TylaJames said:

@Deddly i figured id balance an older version to try get a little extra performance and still have a decent enough experience

Ah I see. I get the way you are thinking; a lot of software gets heavier and more demanding for each new version. But actually, you have not done yourself any favours there - there have been a number of performance improvements to KSP over the years, and performance has actually increased since 1.8. Unless you are constrained by RAM (which it doesn't look like you are), I can highly recommend the latest version for the best performance.

As an aside, for anyone suffering with poor graphics performance, turning off anti-aliasing will make a huge difference on any KSP version.

26 minutes ago, TylaJames said:

@Deddly haha, ok so that didn't plan out as i expected.. Well i am still pretty new to the ksp world and im not very clued when it comes to tinkering with software. 

Thanks for the heads up!

@linuxgurugamer ok cool, and as we were discussing on the other thread, FMRS 1.2.9 will work on them too?

Yes.  I strongly recommend using CKAN, especially with my mods.  If you do a mix of manual installs + CKAN installs, you do have a risk of having files installed which CKAN will not overwrite, it's a safety thing.  So if you run into that, then remove the offending mod and let CKAN install it as well.

CKAN does a good job of installing all necessary dependencies

So here's an update on my progress. 

I installed KSP1.10 and managed to get mechjeb2, Kerbal engineer and FMRS 1.2.9  working, but just one time (had to install FMRS manually, ckan wouldn't do it), after i tried installing mods, it all just fell to pieces. 

Eventually, after many hours of wrestling ckan, i found 'FMRS continued 1.2.9' blanked out and stating "latest KSP version- 1.8".

I uninstalled KSP 1.10 and reinstalled 1.8, and suddenly ckan started playing fair. It recognized ALL my mods, found their dependencies and installed the lot!! I even added a couple extra one's once ckan had joined the party.

I am happy to report, EVERYTHING is working and some more. Performance seems solid and the log appears to be pretty clean..

I think i wont be touching anything else!

Thank you everyone for the help

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.