[Very WIP] [1.11-1.12] Edge of Eternity Planet Pack (0.22.1)

WarriorSabe

11 hours ago, smcameron said:

Heh.  Author of GG here.  This may be the first negative feedback I've had since I made the program in 2014, so thanks for that!  (negative feedback is in general more useful than positive feedback). You have unusual taste, to say the least. I would ask you what you don't like, but, it really doesn't matter, as the output of GG was not really designed, it was more like it just "happened".  The math does what the math does, and that's all there is to it.  Good luck in your search for gas giants that appeal to you.

Edit: to wpetula, if you're trying for something like Uranus, you can get that out of GG, just depends what input image you feed it.

cJYv2Iz.jpg

Oh, don't worry, it's nothing against the quality of it or anything - I'd just rather be making them myself, and GG is so commonly used that it's hard to get your own unique aesthetic with it

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A preview of the Kere revamp coming for the next update:
TvNRn48.png
(expect more craters when completed)

Also a revamp of the alternative sunflare, which'll become the new default flare (the anamorphic beam one will still be available, just no longer default)
JEUzT3x.png

The actual release is predicated on the next Scatterer update however, so don't expect 0.20 to come before then.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, 0.20.0 is out after adding a couple last minute changes.

Visuals now need Scatterer 0.0822 or later, and the skybox now also works with Texture Replacer (thanks to @TheGhastModding for the fix). The Kere revamp is also included, as well as a few other things - full changelog is on the github.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, donalexinder24 said:

hello everyone

Also, EVE no longer works, but perhaps I'll be able to repair that soon.

Oh? I wonder why, maybe EVE updated or something; it worked for me last time I checked at least.

And, I've not abandoned this, for anyone dismayed at the lack of updates - it's just being done really slowly, since I've got a lot of stuff in my life in the way as of late

• 4 months later...
22 hours ago, Geryz said:

https://imgur.com/a/ZVMNtcM
So I was messing around with the KRASH mod and one of the bodies was titled "EdgeOfEternitySettings" so just for excrementss & giggles i put my vessel there, I don't think I was supposed to find this haha, but cool easter egg nonetheless
Also, a great planet pack in general! Loving it so far

Yeah basically the reason that exists is that Scatterer thinks the settings config is a sunflare, and so spams the log with errors about not being able to find the body it goes on (causing performance issues and making the log hard to read). And so I had to give it a body to attach an invisible sunflare to in order to fix it

• 1 month later...

Wow, it's been a while since last update. Life's been in the way of things, but, I'm starting to get close to having the next update ready.  I figured I should give people some fair warning though: you probably don't want to have anything in transit when updating (once I have it out, hopefully in the next couple weeks, but no guarantees), as most of the planets will be moved. This shouldn't have a very big impact on dV costs, as most of the movements are under 1% change in sma; what will be changing will be placing planets into a resonance chain, and adjusting the mean anomalies to fit the laplace criterion. This also shouldn't adversely affect the stability with Principia; if anything it should be improved.

There will also be a couple new bodies, and a handful of other things

4 hours ago, WarriorSabe said:

what will be changing will be placing planets into a resonance chain

Wow, even more resonances? Including Cerberus-Haven (which is 0.03% away from a 5:3 resonance), I count ten of them already. I don't see too many places left where a new resonance would even make sense, although some (like Prometheus and Rime) certainly do exist.

3 hours ago, Leganeski said:

Wow, even more resonances? Including Cerberus-Haven (which is 0.03% away from a 5:3 resonance), I count ten of them already. I don't see too many places left where a new resonance would even make sense, although some (like Prometheus and Rime) certainly do exist.

The primary Terminus system could be placed in a continuous chain from Calefact to Esker without moving anything more than about half a percent (Revenant-Tempest 5:2 and Achlys-Cerberus 7:3), and the Eterna system's resonances are currently probably unstable (on long timescales beyond what can be tested) due to being a holdover from a previous version when the planets were in a different order.  

• 3 weeks later...

0.21 is out! Things ended up getting in the way again (including accidental scope increases and just plain life), so I decided to push a couple features back, but there's still a fair bit included

A couple new celestial bodies, a bunch of relatively minor stuff, and a big revamp to Cerberus's rings (the new texture is 16k, I actually still have some more planned for them) you can see part of here:

3Jrmzyk.png

As usual, a complete changelog is available in the github release.

These changes look great!

• Better placeholder terrain to Calefact's nightside

Now I can finally land on Calefact with only a reasonable risk of overheating!

• Added a moon to Gelis, Portent
    • Currently untextured, will be done when Gelis is

Wait, Gelis was untextured? Its terrain seemed a little bland, but I can't believe it looked as good as it did.

8 hours ago, Leganeski said:

Wait, Gelis was untextured?

Yep, about 1 in 3 worlds currently have terrain that's purely noise. I have ideas for Gelis and it'll probably be one of the sooner ones to get properly mapped, I've got a fair few ideas, but the needed time to make maps for larger worlds like that is harder to come by

• 5 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, dOnut14 said:

is this mod still getting support? as I am interested to see where it goes.

It appears so:

On 3/19/2022 at 4:34 PM, WarriorSabe said:

And, I've not abandoned this, for anyone dismayed at the lack of updates - it's just being done really slowly, since I've got a lot of stuff in my life in the way as of late

Also, while the textures might not be finished yet, the entire system is very well done from a gameplay perspective. I would recommend checking it out!

9 hours ago, Leganeski said:

It appears so:

Also, while the textures might not be finished yet, the entire system is very well done from a gameplay perspective. I would recommend checking it out!

That's good to hear, thank you.

10 hours ago, tilliepops said:

@WarriorSabe i have saw on your github that you have steller neighbourhood mod for edge of eternity

Yeah, it's there but I haven't done a lot of work on it - it's primarily just a framework at the moment. Since it likely won't receive much attention until EoE itself is in a much more complete state, I've just left finding it through github as the only real way to access it until I actually have it as an actual focus of development.

• 1 month later...

0.21.1 is out! The ring revamp is mostly finished, using the new backlit ring shaders (requires a fully up to date Kopernicus) and the addition of the moonlets. A few more system tweaks were also done, finishing up the big system update started in 0.21.0

The github changelog has the full details, as usual

• 2 weeks later...

I made a delta-v table for the system. Currently, it is up to date as of 0.22.1.

There is already an excellent delta-v map in the OP, but it does not have numbers for transfers between two bodies other than Haven. In a table, all possible direct Hohmann transfers can be included. If for whatever reason you want to know how much Δv it takes to eject from Acheron to Tempest, now you can find it in the table! (It's 678 m/s.)

My numbers were derived independently from the ones on the official map. They generally agree, but in most cases, mine are about 3-5% lower, likely due to me using lower low orbit altitudes as well as making generally more optimistic assumptions about how transfers work (for instance, prioritizing lining up apsides over taking the next available transfer window). Nevertheless, the values are still theoretically achievable.

There are a few sources of variation I have not included due to complexity, most notably inclination, atmospheric drag, and gravity losses during ascent. I'd love to hear about ways to incorporate these, but they seem too dependent on the exact flight profile to fit nicely into a table.

(Update: I have now added somewhat more accurate ascent estimates based on WarriorSabe's calculator, using my own model for typical TWR as a function of surface gravity. These values will serve as placeholders while I create a system for estimating ascent costs.)

As Edge of Eternity is still in active development, I will try to keep the table updated with new releases.

Edited by Leganeski
Update for 0.22.1

8 hours ago, Leganeski said:

I made a delta-v table for the current system, as of 0.21.3.

There is already an excellent delta-v map in the OP, but it does not have numbers for transfers between two bodies other than Haven. In a table, all possible direct Hohmann transfers can be included. If for whatever reason you want to know how much Δv it takes to eject from Acheron to Tempest, now you can find it in the table! (It's 678 m/s.)

My numbers were derived independently from the ones on the official map. They generally agree, but in most cases, mine are about 3-5% lower, likely due to me using lower low orbit altitudes as well as making generally more optimistic assumptions about how transfers work (for instance, prioritizing lining up apsides over taking the next available transfer window). Nevertheless, the values are still theoretically achievable.

There are a few sources of variation I have not included due to complexity, most notably inclination, atmospheric drag, and gravity losses during ascent. I'd love to hear about ways to incorporate these, but they seem too dependent on the exact flight profile to fit nicely into a table.

As Edge of Eternity is still in active development, I will try to keep the table updated with new releases.

When I made the map, the way I handled the ascent was to treat gravity losses as cosine losses (which works for a horizontal ascent profile), and integrate them over the decreasing effective gravity as orbital velocity is approached, using some ballparks for typical TWR values. For drag losses on atmospheric worlds, I have a more empirical polytropic fit based on what seemed to be typical values for various reference worlds (as well a similarly empirically determined factor that increases gravity losses to account for less horizontal profiles), and calibrated to return values similar to those on the stock map, since I figured players would most likely already be familiar with adjusting those values to their own rockets and profiles.

For transfers, you are right in that I used higher orbits, typically 5-10km above obstacles or atmosphere, except for the very smallest worlds. I also modeled the orbits as circular, with the exception of Esker, for which I used Transfer Window Planner (and I plan on ultimately using such empirical values for the remaining irregular orbits). And, on the subject of Esker, that's the one case where your low-end value will likely not be quite achievable - it's in a 2:3 resonance with Haven, which means it always is in the same alignments, and will never allow you to transfer towards periapsis. It also turns out, according to TWP, that despite having only a single point of conjunction, there are actually two alternating transfer windows per synodic period pretty with similar costs, one of which is quite unusual (it happens around conjunction, with the ejection from Haven being approximately radial out from Terminus). All the other eccentric resonances are higher order, though, so they should allow decently close to a periapsis-aligned transfer at the least. And I guess if you're willing to wait taking several orbits to get there you could try launching to its periapsis, you just might be sitting around Terminus for quite a while before things finally line up.

That said, good work on the table, it's something I had thought about making but ultimately ended up not. I'm surprised you even went so far as to include all the Cerberan moonlets, that's a lot of extra transfers to calculate considering their less significant role.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.