[Very WIP] [1.11-1.12] Edge of Eternity Planet Pack (0.22.1)

WarriorSabe

On 2/14/2021 at 11:23 AM, TheWanderer05 said:

Hello, I've been playing with this mod for a few weeks and while it has been very enjoyable, there is one issue that I've found. Being near the moon "Kere" causes some frame rate drops and it doesn't seem to render in below a certain altitude (around 15-10 km). It only renders its scaledspace version until that altitude is reached and just disappears, as seen below. Looking at the navball, the terrain should be right under me, but it isn't. Hopefully this helps, and I can't wait to see how this mod progresses from here.

unknown.png

I'll look into that, it's probably a simple fade issue. Kere's a relatively recent addition compared to the others, and it hasn't been tested as thoroughly as other, more major bodies.

In the meantime, here's a look at Cerberus's new appearance. I decided to remix its old texture into something more like a gas giant

H5Klsu8.png

0.17 is also utilizing some new Scatterer features that are not yet available though, so its release is predicated on the release of the next Scatterer update. Should be a fairly decent sized update though, I'm hoping to get the rest of Prometheus to the same level as those couple localized regions I've done, in addition to this new Cerberus. Plus of course bug fixes and some other tweaks to go along.

• 1 month later...

I decided that with the recent uptick in users, and with the increase in stuff preventing me from getting as much work done as I'd like, I'll push the bulk of the Prometheus terrain stuff to the next update so I can get the fixes for the fairly noticeable bugs that 0.16 and 0.15 brought that I didn't catch in the subsequent patches out. That includes black terrain with Prometheus homeswitch, missing ground on Kere, 2.56x scale Damocles appearing flatter than it actually is from a distance, and Kerbalism radiation belts/magnetosphere being missing from Haven. It also removes Sigma Dimensions as a dependency for the rescale, which should fix other rescale-related issues I've seen people have recently as a result of an update to SD. I also may have a fix for the rotation alignment of bodies being wrong with Principia, but I haven't tested that yet and depending on results the fix may not come with 0.17

It's not only bugfixes, which is why it's a 0.17 instead of a 0.16.4 - it includes that Cerberus revamp, as well as a total redo of the Scatterer atmospheres, and a small part of the Prometheus improvements coming down the line.

Some previews of the refined Scatterer coming with the next update.  Overall they have much less of that stereotypical Scatterer haze now, and the colors of the atmospheres of Eterna's planets should better reflect the actual lighting. Sunflare-related changes still require the not-yet-released update to Scatterer, so they most likely won't be included in 0.17

Spoiler

7B4Nvq2.png

ZtWICee.png

h2uWt0n.png

5zlDDMx.png

SE0FTW4.png

fIbRpa8.png

Hopefully 0.17 should be ready within a week, barring any further distractions or major bugs cropping up.

Guess I didn't quite get it within the week, but version 0.17 is now out.

The highlights:

Kere and Prometheus terrain issues fixed
Tidally locked planets are properly aligned with Principia
Sigma Dimensions no longer required for rescale
New Scatterer atmospheres and updated Cerberus

IMPORTANT: Cerberus is bigger now. If you have any craft below 391km altitude above Cerberus (760km or 2378km in higher scales), it will end up inside its atmosphere or possibly the planet itself after updating. Landed/splashed vessels should be safe, but flying ones might not be. Its moons have moved outward to compensate

Full changelog in the github release

• 1 month later...

0.18 update: 

Revamped Esker, Sephon, and partially Calefact
Improved Kronometer configs
Rebalanced science to improve late and extreme early game returns

Spoiler

New Sephon:
DzCJjly.png

New Esker:
Sw5ign4.png

If you have anything on Esker's surface or really anywhere in Sephon's SOI, there's a chance that the new terrain will intersect your craft or leave it floating above the ground

Edited by WarriorSabe

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, TheWanderer05 said:

I'm getting a strange visual bug on Typhos - when I get close to the terrain, it becomes very dark, and in some cases, transparent as shown in the two images below. I do not have any visual mods installed.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Oh, I could have sworn I fixed that. Thanks for letting me know

16 hours ago, WarriorSabe said:

are you using a rescale or lowered graphical settings or anything?

I'm not using rescale and my graphics settings are as follows:

Terrain Detail: High

Render Quality: Fantastic

Texture Quality: Full Res

Terrain Shader Quality: Ultra

If you need any other settings, let me know.

56 minutes ago, TheWanderer05 said:

I'm not using rescale and my graphics settings are as follows:

Terrain Detail: High

Render Quality: Fantastic

Texture Quality: Full Res

Terrain Shader Quality: Ultra

If you need any other settings, let me know.

Hmm, that seems to rule out the other two obvious solutions. At this point, I'd say post your module manager's configcache, and I guess also your logs, and double check everything's up to date

I've watched this mod since the beginning. The only mod that can rival the unique setting and science is Whirligig World, and this will likely surpass it. I hope to see it succeed.

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2020 at 2:13 AM, WarriorSabe said:

Cerberus from low orbit (rescale visuals, though it doesn't look much different in rescale):

For Cerberus, are you aiming for an appearance similar to Uranus (not many swirls, mostly one color) or Jupiter (lots of swirls, can have many colors)?

If you're aiming for something like Uranus, continue. Cerberus looks great so far! :happy:

If you're aiming for something like Jupiter, I highly recommend Gaseous Giganticus (https://github.com/smcameron/gaseous-giganticus). It's an extremely powerful program that generates detailed gas giant textures. Time for generation varies based on the type and age of your computer. There are many options you can tweak to adjust the output to your liking.

Sample output

sample-gg-output-2.jpg

On 7/16/2021 at 6:24 AM, wpetula said:

For Cerberus, are you aiming for an appearance similar to Uranus (not many swirls, mostly one color) or Jupiter (lots of swirls, can have many colors)?

If you're aiming for something like Uranus, continue. Cerberus looks great so far! :happy:

If you're aiming for something like Jupiter, I highly recommend Gaseous Giganticus (https://github.com/smcameron/gaseous-giganticus). It's an extremely powerful program that generates detailed gas giant textures. Time for generation varies based on the type and age of your computer. There are many options you can tweak to adjust the output to your liking.

Sample output

sample-gg-output-2.jpg

It's not really supposed to be either; it's kind of its own thing. And I don't particularly like GG, I don't plan on using it at any point

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 7:20 PM, WarriorSabe said:

And I don't particularly like GG, I don't plan on using it at any point

Heh.  Author of GG here.  This may be the first negative feedback I've had since I made the program in 2014, so thanks for that!  (negative feedback is in general more useful than positive feedback). You have unusual taste, to say the least. I would ask you what you don't like, but, it really doesn't matter, as the output of GG was not really designed, it was more like it just "happened".  The math does what the math does, and that's all there is to it.  Good luck in your search for gas giants that appeal to you.

Edit: to wpetula, if you're trying for something like Uranus, you can get that out of GG, just depends what input image you feed it.

cJYv2Iz.jpg

Edited by smcameron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.