FLAT EARTH VERSION, PLEASE!

I can be very impressed with myself when I manage to convince somebody that I must honestly believe the world is flat. I think it can be very funny when it is done right.

I bought the game for my kid to keep her occupied over the summer instead of the nonsense she would rather play. But this game is too hard at that age.

A flat Kerbin version could be very funny and could also be a light version that makes it easier to learn playing. 

Besides, if you can sell KSP then those same customers would be very tempted to buy the flat earth version. It could be really very funny.

Another point. 

Kids like to buy and trade "rare" items. They like some kind of economy. They like their friends online in their world.

But they like doing chores in real life to earn gift cards that can be redeemed in the game.

KSP was originally designed as a 2D game with a flat Kerbin. Once Kristopher Kolumbus sailed to Kuba, HarvesteR shifted to a round Kerbin model.

Spoiler

In all seriousness, I think it would be a bad idea to create a flat Kerbin. This is a game based on realistic physics, and a flat Kerbin would deviate from that core ideology.

4 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Not a flat Kerbin mode, but a REALISTIC flat kerbin mode. Like how gravity would clump it back into a ball and crush KSC and all hopes of leaving kerbin with it.

Then what would be the point?

It's actually been proven that you can make Kerbin flat in the base game using precise physics manipulations. It doesn't break physics any less than Earth being flat would.

The way to make KSP easier for a beginner would be to open the alt+F12 menu and enable some cheats like infinite fuel.

4 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

YAGpXPd.png

About where I was with that, lol.

Kids who desire a flat KSP can always play minecraft with some unlimited zheight mod.  I like my space marbles.

Edited by R-T-B

Okay. 

I was thinking it would be good for kids because it can introduce game concepts in a way that sets them up to play after they get older. 

And I think it can be very funny, mocking flat earth theories. It already is a funny game. There is humor already in the current version. Flat Kerbin could explore the ridiculousness and build jokes into the game. 

Plus... you gotta admit... somebody had to ask. This question cannot go unaddressed. It is a very good and very stupid but still a very good question.

Edited by Techclerk
Add last point

22 hours ago, Dman979 said:

KSP was originally designed as a 2D game with a flat Kerbin. Once Kristopher Kolumbus sailed to Kuba, HarvesteR shifted to a round Kerbin model.

Reveal hidden contents

In all seriousness, I think it would be a bad idea to create a flat Kerbin. This is a game based on realistic physics, and a flat Kerbin would deviate from that core ideology.

Good lord. I am not finding myself posting on a Kardashian website? Please say I am not at a Kardashian forum.... pleeeeaaasssseee 

31 minutes ago, Techclerk said:

Okay. 

I was thinking it would be good for kids because it can introduce game concepts in a way that sets them up to play after they get older. 

Well, you ARE introducing flat earth theory to a bunch of kids. Not a great idea. Unless it all follows physics and clumps back together.

And the game is designed to be hard. Kids do not just learn from success. They learn from failure also.

Edited by Xd the great

20 hours ago, cubinator said:

The way to make KSP easier for a beginner would be to open the alt+F12 menu and enable some cheats like infinite fuel.

A.K.A. The way to make KSP easier for a beginner is to bypass the space travel problems beginners should be learning to overcome.

On 8/12/2020 at 1:00 AM, Techclerk said:

A flat Kerbin version could be very funny and could also be a light version that makes it easier to learn playing. 

Technically, a sphere is easier to orbit than a plane.

13 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Well, you ARE introducing flat earth theory to a bunch of kids. Not a great idea.

I got the idea from listening to Kitboga and his scam baiting scripts on YouTube and Twitch. In our case, it has already been introduced because I want my kid to understand scammers will be calling when she someday gets her own phone. She gets it easier than you think.

Also, if we are worried about what is introduced to children then I would be more concerned about what else they are doing when they are not playing Kerbals. I would use it to reign in and slightly guide attention back in a better focus.

My wife is a teacher and thanks to covid she does virtual meetings at home where I am hearing for the first time what these meetings are like and what is being prioritized by the district to be implemented into schools. I think if we are putting ourselves into position where we are responsible for what is introduced to kids then we might want to make ourselves more curious to hear what the village is prioritizing.

1 hour ago, Techclerk said:

I think if we are putting ourselves into position where we are responsible for what is introduced to kids then we might want to make ourselves more curious to hear what the village is prioritizing.

If you're so worried about being responsible for introducing concepts to your children, then you might as well teach them true facts, and not half-baked idiotic conspiracies. There's no place in KSP for any of that pseudoscience.