ID Flags and Decals

TranceaddicT

This IS NOT my mod.  This was created by the talented @Vexillar.

I'm starting this thread because there isn't one and, yeah, there REALLY needs to be one.

(Also, moderators are free to turn control of this thread over should @Vexillar decide to claim it.)

You need ID!

Vexillar's ID Flags and Decals

ID_Flags_and_Decals-1511023913.8390462.p

ID Flags and Decals adds a selection of flag images with numbers and letters to ease the identification of multiple spacecraft or other constructions in-game. Additional images are supplied for decoration, cinematics, fun and enhanced game immersion.

From version 1.3, IDFlags can now be used standalone, using the new Flag Decal parts introduced in KSP 1.10. Hence subsequent releases are NOT fully compatible with earlier versions of KSP 1. Version 1.4 introduces integration with drewcassidy's Conformal Decals mod. Further enhancements are in progress!

INSTALLATION

To install, simply copy the IDFlags folder from the zip archive into your Kerbal Space Program GameData folder. If you already have another version of this mod installed, delete the IDFlags folder first.

KSP 1.10 STOCK FLAG DECAL PARTS

The Flag decal images (letters and numbers) are automatically available for selection via the new stock parts. Additional decals are provided in custom parts.

INTEGRATION

Spoiler

@DREWCASSIDY'S CONFORMAL DECALS MOD

The integration with Conformal Decals is similar to that for the stock parts. The Flag decal images are automatically added to the CDF-L Flag decal part, and three new custom parts are added for additional decals.

@Beetlecat has integrated switching using B9PartSwitch, instructions here:

@BLACKHEART'S DECAL STICKERS MOD

IDFlags adds seven new variants of each of the five decal parts in Blackheart's mod, plus a set of new "Place Anywhere Sticker Micro" parts that can be used for smaller signs, e.g. on rovers, planetary base modules or for airlock identification.

The variants each represent a set of decals: Numerals/Letters (Standard, White, Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, and "Giant"), Airlock signs, and miscellaneous Labels.

@LINUXGURUGAMER'S NEBULAR DECALS CONTINUED

IDFlags automatically adds seven new variants of the Flat and Curved decal parts (decal sets as above).

HINTS AND TIPS

Spoiler

1. In most cases, placing a Decal or Sticker on (or too near) a hatch will obstruct it and prevent it from being used. Some parts (e.g. the Lynx Cab from Nils277's Feline Utility Rovers) seem to be OK with this. Test carefully!

2. Be careful when placing Decal Stickers with transparent backgrounds close to each other. If the transparency of one overlaps with the visible image of another, the textures will interfere.

3. Most of the decals use a stock-alike font, but the "Giant" letter/number decals are rendered using a font with more consistent character widths.

4. For integration with Decal Stickers or Nebular Decals, please ensure that you have the module manager .dll in your GameData folder, as this is no longer bundled with the other mods.

5. Because of scaling differences to the stock parts, the "stock" custom ID Decals parts may initially place beneath the surface. After initial placement, turn off snap (if on) and move the parts "outward". The "stock" custom parts also require the Flag image to be set transparent to make the selected variant visible. A special flag, "---" is provided for this purpose.

Update v1.4, now with over 510 flags and decals!

NB - IDFlags v1.4 supports KSP 1.10.

Use IDFlags v1.2 for all earlier KSP versions.

Edited by TranceaddicT

• 1 year later...

I cant believe this never got even *one* reply :confused:
Hoping this mod might still be very relevant, especially since @Beetlecat came up with some support/integration with the Conformal Decals mod.

For making custom "serialized/numbered" craft identity decals, this (with Conformal Decals integration), seems like the nicest option, over some of the other great custom decal mods out there.

Edited by Stone Blue

So, trying this out with Conformal Decals, and @Beetlecat's patch, and getting lots of exceptions in the log. Havent fully tested, learned how the whole thing is *supposed* to work yet.

One little nit-pick: Getting log spam for the giant 'M' texture, not being the correct resolution. I changed it from 256x162, to 256x160, like all the other textures, and spam went away ;)

Oh, yeah, KSP v1.12.3 & latest, greatest, up-to-date versions of everything required.

I'll try to post specifics later, if I figure stuff out.

So just to clarify my above post, ID Flags & Decals by itself, works *perfectly* fine in 1.12.3.

Its just the integration with Conformal Decals that *might* cause some issues.
The main thing I am gathering from logs, is that CD has changed/updated shaders, so the shaders used in @Beetlecat patches at least need updating to match CD.

Edited by Stone Blue

On 3/4/2022 at 10:08 AM, Stone Blue said:

I cant believe this never got even *one* reply :confused:
Hoping this mod might still be very relevant, especially since @Beetlecat came up with some support/integration with the Conformal Decals mod.

I have a question - is it just a bunch of decals that are A-Z and 0-9? Or is it something more? I already have a lot of mod real estate taken up. @SpannerMonkey(smce), way back in 1.3.0, as a part of his Maritime mod, had a part that once placed, you could scroll through both numbers and letters, but it was a part and not a decal.

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

So just to clarify my above post, ID Flags & Decals by itself, works *perfectly* fine in 1.12.3.

Good to know, I might have to give this one a look-see. Going to download it and find out what happens. This would save me from having to make a bunch of decals as I transition from 1.3.0 to 1.12.3.

35 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I have a question - is it just a bunch of decals that are A-Z and 0-9? Or is it something more? I already have a lot of mod real estate taken up. @SpannerMonkey(smce), way back in 1.3.0, as a part of his Maritime mod, had a part that once placed, you could scroll through both numbers and letters, but it was a part and not a decal.

Its a BUNCH of different stuff... not *just* A-Z, 0-9....
I was just poking it to see how to integrate it into ERS, to use these to replace the switchable "serial number" plates...
Apparently, IDF&D adds three flag "parts", which act like normal parts you select & place, then each has variants (looks like maybe just the flag background, and size?)
You select size & background type in the PAW... you select the actual "decal", in the stock flag selection UI

i cant figure out how they get the various size variants, tho... I need a tiny or micro size... vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

4 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Its a BUNCH of different stuff... not *just* A-Z, 0-9....

I've noticed that, too. A lot of stuff.

4 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

i cant figure out how they get the various size variants, tho... I need a tiny or micro size... vOv

That's the rub. TweakScale is required - if you need them smaller than the default tiny flat flags that comes with 1.12.3. I've been playing around with the mods shown since the last post I made. I'll be the first to admit I am really impressed with what the mod does and will be incorporating it with my gameplay when I update to 1.12.3.

I do not say this as a moderator but as a normal forum member:

The current modder who has taken up Tweakscale has added things to the mod that I find too obtrusive for me. They have a strong dislike and are very unhappy with how ModuleManager works and is trying to convince everyone to switch to their version of ModuleManager. So, every time you fire up KSP with their updated Tweakscale loaded, you get this:

6sWIP8z.png

So, in 1.12.3, I am learning how to play KSP without any sort of TweakScale. It has taken a lot of getting accustomed to not being able to rescale parts to the sizes I need. But it certainly is better than being forced to use another version of ModuleManager when the one I am accustomed to, with all of the updates and patches and occasional quirks, has worked so well. Yeah, I am loyal to what I know and like...

On 3/6/2022 at 11:20 AM, adsii1970 said:

That's the rub. TweakScale is required - if you need them smaller than the default tiny flat flags that comes with 1.12.3.

Ahh... OK... I thought it was some hidden *stock* method being used.... at least for the sizes I am/am not seing in-game, but am seeing listed in the IDF cfgs.

Yeah, TweakScale has been a non-starter for soon after i started playing KSP. Especially becuase of the ugly way it presented resized textures, that shouldnt be resized, at least at the sizes that were included in mods. And especially add in its confusing *associated* mods, I wont touch TweakScale with a 100m pole, now.
Figured I didnt need it any moar, since there are soooo many great parts mods out there that offer well-done parts/textures in many moar sizes/form factors.

It also seemed to have conflicts for me with many mods that did their *own* rescaling, or with B9PartSwitching, which has been a "must-have" mod for me, for a long time, as MANY of the mods I use, can support it. Not to mention, it has replaced much of the need for Firespitter/IFS... So, since I usually have B9 installed anyway, and found it to pretty much be able to handle any outlier-cases for rescaling that I need... well... ;)

Working on the ERS rover mod, I've been considering adding support for ID Flags... JSIPartUtilities also has some nice switching modules, so between that & B9PS, I might be able to mae IDF support for ERS.

Edited by Stone Blue

On 3/6/2022 at 1:51 PM, Stone Blue said:

Yeah, TweakScale has been a non-starter for soon after i started playing KSP. Especially becuase of the ugly way it presented resized textures, that shouldnt be resized, at least at the sizes that were included in mods. And especially add in its confusing dependency on an unofficial fork of ModuleManager, and possibly some other confusing mods, I wont touch TweakScale with a 100m pole, now.

THERE'S NO DEPENDENCY ON TWEAKSCALE ON ANY NON OFFICIAL FORK OF ANYTHING.

This slandering must end.

On 3/6/2022 at 1:20 PM, adsii1970 said:

I do not say this as a moderator but as a normal forum member:

The current modder who has taken up Tweakscale has added things to the mod that I find too obtrusive for me. They have a strong dislike and are very unhappy with how ModuleManager works and is trying to convince everyone to switch to their version of ModuleManager. So, every time you fire up KSP with their updated Tweakscale loaded, you get this:

6sWIP8z.png

This happens due bad patching. More than one add'on are applying patches to TweakScale, and this can lead to inconsistent TweakScale data, that can lead to parts already launched and flying to be wrongly resized.

Please abstain from making judgments about what I allegedly like or dislike - you  are not in position to know about it, and you are not a common user around here.

I apologize in advance for not responding directly to the OP. However, this thread has been sleeping for over a year and a half and has turned into a discussion of the merits of Tweakscale instead of being about the mod. Please note that I hold both modders and moderators in high regard and that absolutely nothing that I am about to say is meant to be a disrespect to either of those groups. Without modders who continue to create and maintain the dazzling array of mods available, KSP would not be the fantastic game that it is. And without moderators to keep the forum well-organized, we might have long descended into toxic anarchy. 

First, I am familiar with @Lisias and with Tweakscale (both the mod and the forum post). I haven't seen Lisias state a "strong dislike" or being "very unhappy" with ModuleManager, other than discussing some of the things that MM does or does not do well. I've also not seen Lisias try to convince anyone, much less "everyone" to switch to any version of MM other than the official one. And it is certainly not true--at least for me--that Tweakscale displays the aforementioned message on loading (in fact, I have never seen that message in my own, moderately modded install). Unless you have evidence to the contrary, everything stated here is unsupported allegation at best, demonstrably false at worst. 

But it certainly is better than being forced to use another version of ModuleManager when the one I am accustomed to, with all of the updates and patches and occasional quirks, has worked so well.

To my knowledge, I have not been forced to use another version of MM. The only version I have loaded, per my log, is the official 4.2.1 version. Therefore, unless you have evidence otherwise, this statement is false.

[snip]

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

Some content has been redacted and/or removed.

A gentle reminder, folks:

• Please try to stay on-topic.  The topic of this thread is the ID Flags and Decals mod.  If you're posting about that, great.  If you're primarily posting about anything else, then you're wandering away from the topic, so please try to limit such discussions.
  • Please do not tell anyone what to do or what not to do; it's nobody's place to do that.
  • Please do not level public accusations or make other personal remarks.
  • If anyone sees behavior that they are concerned about, feel free to approach the moderator team privately.  You can report a post if you think it's problematic, and we'll have a look (though we can't guarantee that we'll take action, and you won't get feedback from us about our decisions).  Or, if you feel that you need to discuss something with us, feel free to send a forum PM to any member of the moderator team.  Beyond that, though, please don't try to "raise concerns" about individual posts publicly.

Thank you for your understanding.

[EDIT] Some additional content has been removed.  Highlighting the first point above, since apparently it wasn't visible enough.  ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.