I learned an entire coding language in a day!

eee

KerboScript?

On 8/17/2020 at 4:30 AM, catloaf said:

The scratch lite lite that Lego boost uses. I learned it in 20 minutes.

I once worked with the drag‘n‘drop coding system of Lego Mindstorms at some public event for kids. (By that time I was a kid too)

In my opinion, it was more or less self-explaining.

On 8/18/2020 at 9:35 AM, s_gamer101 said:

KerboScript?

I once worked with the drag‘n‘drop coding system of Lego Mindstorms at some public event for kids. (By that time I was a kid too)

In my opinion, it was more or less self-explaining.

i still have the og mindstorms brick (the yellow one that came with classic technic parts) and it still works last i checked. receiver works fine with a usb-to-serial dongle, but you have to use nqc to program it.i also have an nxt brick, but i never used it that much, and when i did i used nxc. these days id rather use an arduino or better yet an esp32 than whatever smart brick they are using now. you can code in a real programming language and interface any one of the myriads of cheap ebay sensors out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, once you learn your first programming language, most others come on quite easily... Quite enough so that learning another programming language in a single day is really not that uncommon.

Some languages however are indeed alien enough that they require a lot more effort to wrap one's brains around... C++ is one that makes sense only after one has become familiar with C.  

Anyways - learning programming is really not a finite event as much as it is a way of life.

One does not ever "finish" learning that kinda stuff - Even with decades of experience, every now and then you see something that makes you go "what da?..." and then you look it up, thus learning another new thing that you hadn't thought of trying or perhaps never needed to until just then...

One does not ever really "learn how to program" - I always say. One can only "learn how to learn to program" 

I think you never stop learning a coding language - there's always something you don't know yet.:)

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Getting learned a coding language is not a happy end.

It's just the end of the blissful innosence and the beginning of despair and suffering.

Sounds like you don't like coding very much

When you learn your first coding language the challenge isn't actually the coding language itself, it's learning how to solve a problem using an algorithm that can be turned into a program. Some people learn that very quick, others need a little bit more time.

5 hours ago, Moach said:

Actually, once you learn your first programming language, most others come on quite easily... Quite enough so that learning another programming language in a single day is really not that uncommon.

Some languages however are indeed alien enough that they require a lot more effort to wrap one's brains around... C++ is one that makes sense only after one has become familiar with C.  

Anyways - learning programming is really not a finite event as much as it is a way of life.

One does not ever "finish" learning that kinda stuff - Even with decades of experience, every now and then you see something that makes you go "what da?..." and then you look it up, thus learning another new thing that you hadn't thought of trying or perhaps never needed to until just then...

One does not ever really "learn how to program" - I always say. One can only "learn how to learn to program" 

idk about that. i know several but still cant get my head around python. i need my curly braces damn it. 

Edited by Nuke

9 hours ago, Nuke said:

idk about that. i know several but still cant get my head around python. i need my curly braces damn it. 

Python doesn't count - that stuff with the tabs and no braces is really just, weird....

Maybe I'm old-school, but I can't do away with being able to freely indent my code - I like to have my identifiers line up vertically so I can do the "alt+select, then type in multiple lines at the same time" trick whenever possible...

My favourite language is C++, I really like how it never sacrifices flexibility in exchange for features designed to allow programmers to do their jobs poorly  *cough* Java *cough*

But, these days, it is kinda on the aged side of the hill, lacking several beloved convenience features found in newer languages like C#   (despite it's exceedingly verbose roundabout awkwardness in comparison with C++)

Anyways, Unity uses C#, so that's what I use now.

It's pretty decent to work with, although I sometimes miss being able to typedef myself a function pointer here and there...

Edited by Moach

On 8/29/2020 at 6:52 PM, Moach said:

Well, I'll object that learning one language may other languages sharing the same paradigm quite easily. But there's some language that differs way much in their philosophy that jumping from one family to another is really not easily done.

Heck, some dialect of a language can be hard as hell to get a grasp on. I'm thinking C / C++ in a real time embeded system. It's still C / C++, it shares the syntax and most of the grammar. But most of the thing you know about non real time programing will get you into trouble in real time programming.

And learning C will do you no good for learning Lisp for instance, or even Haskell, which are functional language (ok, you can do some functional programing with C. You can do anything with C, it's just not safe or sane to do it), which differs a lot from procedural or object languages, to the point where the basic concept such as variable assignment (or even what a variable is) are not easily portable from one way to another.

But it's like non-machine languages I guess. You have some languages which share a lot of similarities (english and german for instance) which makes them easier to learn when you learn one in the group. But then you have languages alien to each other (chinese and english for instance), where knowing english won't help you a little bit to understand chinese. Worse, it can probably hinder you because those language don't share a lot of concepts, grammar and syntax.

And one language I like a lot is Rust, even if I'm not doing enough code in it these days (I had to do some embedded real time stuff in C/C++ for a bluetooth firmware on ESP32 controller). Compile only if your code is safe (bye bye segfaults), and the compiler tells you what is your error and how you can fix it, instead of yelling obscure error code at you. Also it's almost functional. And performance are wild. But I guess I should try C# (chich looks very far away from C or C++ by some aspect of it, why dd they keep the letter ?) one of this day.

On 8/30/2020 at 12:35 PM, Okhin said:

Well, I'll object that learning one language may other languages sharing the same paradigm quite easily. But there's some language that differs way much in their philosophy that jumping from one family to another is really not easily done.

It varies greatly with what you want to call "learn", but even in the loosest sense, there are some languages that take getting used to. Prolog is my favorite example. Programs are written very backwards compared to how you think about it. Rather than thinking about sequence of steps to get to the goal, you bring together all possible ways of getting there. Not to mention that actions are encoded as challenges, effectively. Rather than saying, "Print this text," you say, "Prove that you can print this text," which, of course, program does by printing. And that makes sense within the language paradigm, but doesn't jump out at you naturally.

Yeah, but as I said, Prolog is a different paradigm than the classic Oriented Object / Procedural ones. That's what makes it weird to learn. The same way haskell or LISP are weird to learn if you've never learned a Functional language before.

The reason I can read haskell and write functional rust, is because I learned LISP, which shares a paradigm with those.

Prolog is really a bit alone in its paradigm though, so nothing you'll leraned before will help to get a grasp at it :D. I have encountered some code which behave a bit like prolog, but yeah, it's weird.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.