Environmental Visual Enhancements Maintenance Releases

R-T-B

8 hours ago, RKunze said:

There seems to be a regression with 1.10.1-2 on Linux (or at least on my installation): Bodies with atmosphere are rendered as pink blobs (see image). This happens pretty much everywhere: In the map view, in the tracking station, and even in the flight view if you zoom out far enough. KSP.log for the session where I did the screenshot is at https://gist.github.com/rkunze/a21ee512e555e9cb5c2cb30433845703.

Version 1.10.1-1 is fine.

screenshot0.png

It's probably an issue with the recompiled shaders.  Darn.  I'll take a look, but that's sadly where I am weakest, Unity graphics/shaders stuff.  You can always run the previous version on linux in the meantime, of course, but thanks for the report.

Edited by R-T-B

10 hours ago, R-T-B said:

It's probably an issue with the recompiled shaders.  Darn.  I'll take a look, but that's sadly where I am weakest, Unity graphics/shaders stuff.  You can always run the previous version on linux in the meantime, of course, but thanks for the report.

I'm getting the same on 1.10.1.2939 for another data point

15 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I just did an experiment @BIOZ proposed: Ran the 1.10.1-2 DLLs with the eveshaders.bundle from 1.10.1-1, and vice versa. Result: Shaders from 1.10.1-1 are OK even with the 1.10.1-2 DLLs, and 1.10.1-2 shaders are broken with the 1.10.1-1 DLLs as well. Looks like it is indeed a problem with the shaders.

Edited by RKunze
fixed @mention

2 hours ago, RKunze said:

I just did an experiment @BIOZ proposed: Ran the 1.10.1-2 DLLs with the eveshaders.bundle from 1.10.1-1, and vice versa. Result: Shaders from 1.10.1-1 are OK even with the 1.10.1-2 DLLs, and 1.10.1-2 shaders are broken with the 1.10.1-1 DLLs as well. Looks like it is indeed a problem with the shaders.

How would I copy over my 1.10.1-1 shaders over to my 10.10.1-2xxx install?

15 minutes ago, BIOZ said:

@darthgently All shaders are stored in 'eveshaders.bundle'. Here is the link if you need it http://www.mediafire.com/file/g8inh701av5k7mb/

I'd rather get it straight from a git repos or similar, but thank you

15 minutes ago, BIOZ said:

@darthgently All shaders are stored in 'eveshaders.bundle'. Here is the link if you need it http://www.mediafire.com/file/g8inh701av5k7mb/

So it looks like on git that the only shader modified remotely recently is SpherePlanet.shader.  How do I get the older version of that from github? [edit] looks like SphereCloud.shader was also modified recently.

Edited by darthgently

34 minutes ago, darthgently said:

How would I copy over my 1.10.1-1 shaders over to my 10.10.1-2xxx install?

Simply extract the "eveshaders.bundle" from the 1.10.1-1 zip archive and copy it to GameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/eveshaders.bundle ...

Edit: Ah, I see now - there is only source for 1.10.1-1 on Github, and no distribution file.

If you're using CKAN,: You'll probably still have the older version around in cache (path can be set in CKAN, default is $HOME/Downlads/CKAN), and if not, you can download older versions from CKAN

Edited by RKunze

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

We'll look into what happened with the shaders soon.  In the meantime, yes, if on linux copying the eveshaders.bundle from a 1.10.1-1 zip file seems to work.

I've just been flying around pink planets and trying to ignore them.  But it is getting a bit cloying, lol.  And trying to find KSC when returning home can be more complicated.  Is the link you posted on mediafire the 1.10.1-1 flavor?  Actually, it looks like CKAN still has the -1 available, I'll just swap via CKAN.  Thanks guys

Edited by darthgently

FWIW, I do have this bug on my todo list.  I just am bad at shaders so my confidence level isn't as high as most bugs for a "fix on the first try."  Still, I will be attempting one tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

FWIW, I do have this bug on my todo list.  I just am bad at shaders so my confidence level isn't as high as most bugs for a "fix on the first try."  Still, I will be attempting one tomorrow.

I don't know about all the other bozos on the internet, but this bozo appreciates your efforts.  Without knowing it as a certainty, I would bet that the people who are good at shaders didn't start that way and got better by trying anyway, lol.  Yet another example of on-the-job training, right?  FWIW, I'm ok with the previous version that works for now.  I kept playing for quite a while with the big pink planets so it wasn't a show stopper for me anyway

I know that the first thing I'd do is a 'diff' of the version that works and the one that doesn't.  It could just be a minor typo, but it kind of smells like the code isn't taking into account some operation that needs to be special for open-gl or something.  Or maybe it isn't properly detecting the open-gl at that point in the code.  Looking at another similar shader that handles both open-gl and non-open-gl successfully in a similar situation might show what is missing in the shader in question.  When I'm in over my head in code I make a lot of use of similar code that works for comparison purposes

On 9/13/2020 at 8:15 PM, darthgently said:

I had EVE running great on 1.10.1+BG and I just did a reinstall (for unrelated reasons) and am trying to get EVE going again.  I have all the same versions of everything as before when I had EVE running great on 1.10.1 with BG, but now all planets in map view are bright pink spheres.  Even the planet in the background on the initial splash/menu screen is just a bright pink sphere.  The Alt-0 popup terrain and atmo "tabs" say I need to "create a EVE_TERRAIN and EVE_ATMOSPHERE config" but I don't know where that file would be or what to call it and the textbox with the error message won't let me type anything in it, so I'm unsure what to do.  I have the 1.2.2.1 config file mod installed via CKAN (which I think is a different version from the one on my old install; CKAN found the newer file I suppose).  I did a brute force grep of my old install for EVE_TERRAIN and EVE_ATMOSPHERE and came up empty.  The good part is I *know* it works; I just need to figure out what is holding it up, thanks!

[Edit] This may be a SCANsat issue, looking into that

I had this same issue.  If you create a couple of files in the BoulderCo folder it will remove the error message.  I created a Terrain folder and added a file 'terrain.cfg' with just a single line

EVE_TERRAIN{}

In the Atmosphere folder I created 'atmosphere.cfg' with the line

EVE_ATMOSPHERE{}

This cleared the error, but it doesn't set up any config.  I tried going with a default config for atmosphere which was not pretty.  There are quite a few values for both tabs. When I have some time to play with it I'll see what it can do.

16 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Not that it will surprise anyone following this subthread, but after installing 1.10.1-1 my pink planets are back to normal

On 9/23/2020 at 12:24 PM, Nicky21 said:

You've lost a lot of performance with the latest ( 1.10.1-2 ) update. I'd say around 20%. I can give you screens or logs if you think i'd help, but i cant imagine how.

We're working on the shaders now.  I'll try and pay attention to performance as we test them, thanks for the report.  Both the devs on this project are hardly shader experts and are more "learning as we go" so patience is appreciated.

New release!  Please give it a try.  We haven't explicitly worked on anything but the linux OpenGL "pink planet" bug but maybe it will help performance as well.  It is diffilcult to say.  Shaders are weird animals. ;)

EVE build for KSP 1.9.x./1.10.x Has not been tested and most likely won't work on any earlier KSP versions. This is a maintenance release by R-T-B and BIOZ, the rest of the work goes to a long list of respective authors.

What's changed since Unofficial Release 1.9.0.2-RTB?

1.) Integrated BIOZ's latest shader fixes for OpenGL. May improve linux performance as well, hard to say as I don't have a linux box at the moment.

In addition to this package, you will need a Config. You may use the configs from a previous EVE release, or from another EVE config mod such as SVE.

Please use the forums for discussions. If you are having a problem, ask there. If you have a confirmed bug, post it as an Issue here. DO NOT post bugs at WazWaz or anyone else's github or elsewhere, only contact the author of this patchset (R-T-B).

For details of changes, see the commits in the Code.

Note that the Config files have not changed in this release - you do not need to update them if you already have these or another config.

Regarding EVE I actually use the https://github.com/LGhassen/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/1.11.1.1 because I was sick of the (stock induced?) flickering.

And that version also increased my fps a bit.

How about trying to merge stuff from it?
I checked the fork network and LGhassen forked from your repo back in March.

7 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Regarding EVE I actually use the https://github.com/LGhassen/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/1.11.1.1 because I was sick of the (stock induced?) flickering.

And that version also increased my fps a bit.

How about trying to merge stuff from it?

I'm actually considering just handing the project off to him, but I can't merge his work because it mostly depends on scatterer for support and that's not in line with my original goals.  The only real reason you'd use ours right now is if you don't want scatterer for some reason, or it has a certain feature his doesn't (can't think of many, ours technically doesn't downsample clouds, but that saves performance and doesn't look much worse at all).

I'm glad blackrack/LGHassen made that build.  I'd gladly hand off maintenance to them if they were going to maintain it for certain.  For now it's wait and see.

7 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Yep he pretty much has all our fixes plus his magic dust.

If you plan on running scatterer please use his version, is my advice.  And make no mistake, Blackrack is a shader expert.  Honestly, his release is better.  When I took this role, it didn't exist in a binary release.  Thus this is here.  Obviously it's begining to show it's age but it still has a usecase, albeit limited.

Edited by R-T-B

• 4 weeks later...

Hi There I need an expert comment. on this one:

I am using EVE with SVE and all is managed by CKAN.  Scatterer is also installed but I have a persistent problem.

The First time I install it, it works just fine. I do my flights and missions and everything is fine. And when I quit and restart the game again I find all clouds and effects are gone. When I click on the EVE icon, none of the tabs are functional (athmosfere, clousd etc) and they all say "No config file, go and define a config file" etc. But there are actually all the files it needs in the BoulderCo folder ? So I uninstall it and re-install it with CKAN. Following this procedure It works (sometimes it wont but a couple of tries brings it back) and then another day it does the same?!?

I tried AVP and same thing happens, First time it works great but when coming back another game it is gone. 

I also tried Spectra and Weimaraner's Scifi VE , all same. 

Scatterer effects are all there with effects and all although no clouds are present albeit great Ocean shaders are there all the time. But interestingly Scatterer "Integrate with EVE clouds" when deactivating them brings clouds back sometimes the other way works. 

What the hell is going on? 

Edited by Mentatt76

13 hours ago, Mentatt76 said:

Hi There I need an expert comment. on this one:

I am using EVE with SVE and all is managed by CKAN.  Scatterer is also installed but I have a persistent problem.

The First time I install it, it works just fine. I do my flights and missions and everything is fine. And when I quit and restart the game again I find all clouds and effects are gone. When I click on the EVE icon, none of the tabs are functional (athmosfere, clousd etc) and they all say "No config file, go and define a config file" etc. But there are actually all the files it needs in the BoulderCo folder ? So I uninstall it and re-install it with CKAN. Following this procedure It works (sometimes it wont but a couple of tries brings it back) and then another day it does the same?!?

I tried AVP and same thing happens, First time it works great but when coming back another game it is gone. 

I also tried Spectra and Weimaraner's Scifi VE , all same. 

Scatterer effects are all there with effects and all although no clouds are present albeit great Ocean shaders are there all the time. But interestingly Scatterer "Integrate with EVE clouds" when deactivating them brings clouds back sometimes the other way works. 

What the hell is going on? 

I unfortunately have no idea what might cause that cycle, sorry.

This project is at this point mostly deprecated in favor of the EVE Redux by blackrack.  I'll fix bugs if there are clear ways to do so, but I don't even know where to begin here.  I'd say for your case, try using this instead (since you have scatterer anyways):

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.