[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

This is an exemplary mod! Using the ingame editor, can we change whatever engine plume we want? Can you (or maybe a member of the forums, or maybe me after I learn it) create a basic tutorial/overview regarding the ingame editor so that players can better use the interface?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, AeroSky said:

This is an exemplary mod! Using the ingame editor, can we change whatever engine plume we want? Can you (or maybe a member of the forums, or maybe me after I learn it) create a basic tutorial/overview regarding the ingame editor so that players can better use the interface?

I have written some documentation but I keep adding features and invalidating it. The conceptual stuff on the wiki is should still apply. Best way to figure it out is to load an existing effect and look at it in the editor to see how the pieces fit together. 

Waterfall 0.2.9

• Fixed OSX shader package
  • Improved Light controller
  • Added new LightColorModifier, link a Material color to the color of a Light
  • Improved spotlight and floodlight templates (cones and flares adjust to RGB colour of the light, flare effect is no longer removed outside of the atmosphere)

I've been playing with and enjoying WaterfallRestock (thanks again for another great mod!) 

The only potential issue that I've noticed is that the Twin-Boar (and possibly other engines) no longer generates any ground effect, those puffs of dust that show up under the launchpad. I'm guessing that's because that effect is scaled according to some component of the stock engine plumes, which have been replaced.

I had to change smokepoint to another transform for smoke effects to appear, i dont' know if thats issue with squad / restock, I've never noticed before because I've always used real plume.  Had to rotate the effect with localRotation too, twin boar and restock plus boar are the same,

PREFAB_PARTICLE
      {
        prefabName = fx_smokeTrail_veryLarge
        transformName = fxTransformPlume
        emission = 0.0 0.0
        emission = 0.05 0.0
        emission = 0.075 0.25
        emission = 1.0 1.25
        speed = 0.0 0.25
        speed = 1.0 1.0
        localOffset = 0, 0, 1
        localRotation =  1,0,0,90
      }

On 12/15/2020 at 7:29 PM, PocketBrotector said:

The only potential issue that I've noticed is that the Twin-Boar (and possibly other engines) no longer generates any ground effect, those puffs of dust that show up under the launchpad. I'm guessing that's because that effect is scaled according to some component of the stock engine plumes, which have been replaced.

Pretty sure this is actually a bug with Restock. 

So I bumped basic package to KSP 1.11. However, the WaterfallRestock package is not updated. This will occur after the Restock update. The old package should still work, I just won't update the version #.

5 hours ago, Atlas Gaming said:

So is this like a Real Plume replacement then?

More like supplement. It still doesn't really do smoke.

On 12/20/2020 at 5:30 AM, mcwaffles2003 said:

Is there a coordinated effort on plume config packages, is everyone out for themselves, is there a deposit place to submit your own plumes for the community?

Not really. I am maintaining a pack of Restock configs. I have also just deployed configs for all the NF suite mods in the latest update. Some other mod authors  @Beale, @DylanSemrau, @Zorgare working on using this for their own mods as well. If you want to see it as part of a mod, I recommend contacting the mod author to see if they're planning it and if not, how you can help. 

4 hours ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Is Waterfall supposed to be on CKAN now? If not, I don't know why.

It is now!

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

I have also just deployed configs for all the NF suite mods in the latest update.

I went and tested some of the engines to check their effects.

Apparently, Linx and Cougar don't have any visuals, and the Angora thinks burning horizontally is cooler!

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-12-23-21-05-11-1

1 hour ago, Lijazos said:

I went and tested some of the engines to check their effects.

Apparently, Linx and Cougar don't have any visuals, and the Angora thinks burning horizontally is cooler!

Pushing a hotfix for this, but a request - please discuss the mod providing the configs in that thread. 

I was just playing around building rockets when this happened to me. The rockets emit an invisible thing that apparently lets you see through clouds. 

How does this work? Is this caused by the new lighting overhaul in 1.11?

Might seem useful for watching rising sea levels, but not so much when you're trying to take beauty shots.

By the way, I recently uninstalled Spectra because it wasn't yet for scatterer 1.11, if that helps

Edit: Silly me. Wasnt up to date

Edited by kerbalxploder

Saw that you added Waterfall configs to cryoengines & the NF suite, so went ahead and put Waterfall on my current modded install - and all the configs look amazing! Also, I'm no longer having to kill timewarp if I want to take a screenshot with decent engine plumes :D

Spoiler

DsTedOk.png

Here's the second stage of the 7.5m behemoth I've dubbed the "Pulsar", powering its way into orbit on 8 Fuji hydrolox engines - the plumes of which look absolutely gorgeous :D

48 minutes ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Effects look very good on Tantares engines. But man I would love some documentation or a WIKI.. I notice that all visible light disappears at about 15% throttle...would like to shift that down to 3-4 %

There is a wiki (see the repo). I'm working on improving it, it needs some screenshots and things, but I think it covers the basic concepts. 

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right (guess I'm not because it would work otherwise)... I'm trying to create a new template to use with Restock's Skipper.

Once I finish the effect with the editor, I export it as a template and copy the .cfg to GameData/Waterfall/Templates.

Then I go to the part's config and change templateName = to my new template's name.

But once I load the game and fire the Skipper, there is no plume.

Could someone please point this poor soul in the right direction? :(

Would this effect be possible?

I think that waterfall definitely adds more realism to rocket exhaust... but one thing I don't think any of the exhaust mods do, including what I have seen so far here, is apply  a blur effect for inside of the flame. If you look at 90 degrees through rocket exhaust IRL you will see what is behind it, but with a heat blur or mirage blur... would be great is this mod could apply  that effect (in moderation of course) as well.

7 minutes ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Would this effect be possible?

I think that waterfall definitely adds more realism to rocket exhaust... but one thing I don't think any of the exhaust mods do, including what I have seen so far here, is apply  a blur effect for inside of the flame. If you look at 90 degrees through rocket exhaust IRL you will see what is behind it, but with a heat blur or mirage blur... would be great is this mod could apply  that effect (in moderation of course) as well.

Are you talking about something like this?

Progress on exhaust refraction : KerbalSpaceProgram (reddit.com)

Edited by Lijazos