[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

26 minutes ago, Fundati said:

Just downloaded and the in-game editor isn't working

https://imgur.com/DbCIVpI

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it's not backwards compatible to 1.10, for some reason? Wouldn't make sense, though, considering the changes made between versions didn't mess with plumes.

It's compatible. Chances are whatever effect you're editing has something the editor doesn't like, what effect is it? 

2 hours ago, Fundati said:

This is the Cheetah engine. Tested it first with an SSTU engine but it was the same way. I have PlumeParty installed for a mod dependency, is it possible that it's causing issues?

There's no Waterfall configuration for that engine, so did you create one? use a template?

1 hour ago, Fundati said:

I'm a little lost. I have to create a config first, then the in-game editor should work?

Check the wiki, the 'getting started' sections are up to date. 

Basically before you can play with things  ingame, you do need to tell the game that the part will use Waterfall, by creating the appropriate Module in the config file. 

Hi @Nertea! Thanks for a great mod. One question - the documentation says to pay careful attention to the engineId field, but what do I use for engineId if ModuleEngine doesn't have an EngineId field? 

Edit - nevermind! I had tried using the default basicEngine value before and it didn't seem to work, but I had a different bug with my patch. Fixed and the default is working now. 

Edited by Zelda
Figured it out

11 hours ago, Nertea said:

Check the wiki, the 'getting started' sections are up to date. 

Basically before you can play with things  ingame, you do need to tell the game that the part will use Waterfall, by creating the appropriate Module in the config file. 

I've been trying to get through the Getting Started section of the wiki but have frankly found it confusing.

Don't mean any offense by it. I just don't know what config to make these changes or where.

I'll probably download someone else's config and dissect it to see how it works.

37 minutes ago, Fundati said:

I've been trying to get through the Getting Started section of the wiki but have frankly found it confusing.

Don't mean any offense by it. I just don't know what config to make these changes or where.

I'll probably download someone else's config and dissect it to see how it works.

The wiki assumes you have config editing or MM patch authoring experience which might be a mistake, seems like some people are wanting to start without knowing how configs and KSP work to the extent I thought.

You will need to learn this but I can try to add an overview.

There are many examples in the WaterfallRestock distribution.

5 hours ago, Nertea said:

I can try to add an overview

Perhaps include a link on your OP to the MM topic and some of the resources there.  I know it's another level of indirection buy if they (Blowfish et al.) add or change anything your link remains valid.  No point in reinventing the wheel.

I saw that the spark and twitch were missing effects in the restock patches, so I used the one the skipper uses. I'm not quite happy with it though. Not quite sure what to do with the turbopump exhaust, so I kept the one from restock, but it looks weird.

Hey Nertea, I have a question. Are you intending in the future to change your Near Future Launch Vehicles liquid-fuel engines to have Waterfall plumes, or do you intend them to remain a RealPlume part?

Edit: I actually just noticed they do have a Waterfall plume, but also a RealPlume plume (which makes the former almost impossible to see). Hmmm. How do I disable the RealPlume on them?

Edited by Shoujo Q

3 minutes ago, Shoujo Q said:

Hey Nertea, I have a question. Are you intending in the future to change your Near Future Launch Vehicles liquid-fuel engines to have Waterfall plumes, or do you intend them to remain a RealPlume part?

my install of NFLV has waterfall patches

On 1/9/2021 at 3:17 PM, Brigadier said:

Perhaps include a link on your OP to the MM topic and some of the resources there.  I know it's another level of indirection buy if they (Blowfish et al.) add or change anything your link remains valid.  No point in reinventing the wheel.

It's an idea, but I think what people keep asking for is a really basic, from-zero 'how do i put an effect on an engine' guide. Which I can provide eventually. 

1 hour ago, zypheronn said:

Hello, does this mod work with realism overhaul engines?

If the engines have patches for Waterfall, then yes, otherwise no. If the changelog for the mod that adds a given engine doesn't mention Waterfall, then that engine probably doesn't have Waterfall configs.
As far as I'm aware, only Nertea's other mods have Waterfall support (as well as a set of patches for ReStock & ReStock+ support, linked in this thread's OP).

That being said, having a master list of mods that have Waterfall configs would be rather helpful :D

Edited by Starseeker

2 hours ago, Starseeker said:

As far as I'm aware, only Nertea's other mods have Waterfall support (as well as a set of patches for ReStock & ReStock+ support, linked in this thread's OP).

Tantares has Waterfall support. 

I also saw that Nessus had some nice starship waterfall plumes in a recent video, but I'm not sure if that's in Tundra yet.

Edit: From the tundra changelog ,

Version 3.2.1
- Waterfall support for Gojira

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

I also made a patch for the restock+ mini RCS thrusters, if you want it (and found that you misspelled "quint" as "qunit")

and an edit to the heavy Near Future Launch Vehicle RCS to line up the plumes better

Edited by EnderKid2

I recently started making an engine, the AM radiant drive version 2 for Interstellar, which will be based on Waterfall effects. It is supposed to look something like this.1pa3465.png

The Waterfall templates worked fantastically,  Able to produce any sort of beams and plumes from seemingly a few parameters. A big laser pointer for example.LsrvjTh.pngHowever, since it seems like some sort particle system within a mesh, I suppose I can add my own mesh as well?  After all, this engine is designed to come with a blue-hot plasma radiator to take care of it's heat problems, something looks like this.

AIUtAxR.png

So I imported an OBJ file into Unity, and exported it with no material.  After adding a WATERFALL_MODEL of the radiator model to the config of the engine itself instead of a separate config or using module manager to eject that thing into WaterfallModels, and adding a billboard shader not in the game but directly into the CFG, it did not work. Which process did I do it wrong?

Anyways, here is the engine file for testing purpose, only Waterfall is a dependency. I hope someone can help me out with this. The empty transform under PlasmaPanel is called RadTransformhttps://1drv.ms/u/s!AgckiYEHnPo7gd9or3zy49g4KGUMGQ?e=Yegzb6

Edited by SynX

Hmm well it's hard to say what worked and what didn't. I took a look at your config and I don't see any evidence of anything other than 3 effects (flare, inner beam, outer beam). So it's hard to even say what may or may not be working. I'm going to need more info.

I guess we can look at your steps:

1 hour ago, SynX said:

So I imported an OBJ file into Unity, and exported it with no material. 

Ok, so far so good.

1 hour ago, SynX said:

After adding a WATERFALL_MODEL of the radiator model to the config of the engine itself instead of a separate config or using module manager to eject that thing into WaterfallModels,

Ok, well it could be in the file, yes, but it has to be outside of the PART {} block. Cleaner to put it in a different config and less likely to cause mistakes. 

1 hour ago, SynX said:

and adding a billboard shader not in the game but directly into the CFG, it did not work

The billboard shader is very sensitive to the model itself, if you want a billboarded plane I suggest using the builtin billboard model.