[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

9 hours ago, EnderKid2 said:

so are the new lighting effects something we have to specify in the config patches for the engines?

I've included lights in all of the default templates now (unless I missed something out) so if your engine config uses one those templates you will get lights. If making your own template or a custom config you would need to include a light in that. 

9 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

Just tested the Restock KS-25 Vector. The ignition sound is already played when staging even when throttle is 0.

Isn’t that the case with all engines that have an ignition sound? Definitely not unintended behaviour due to this mod.

Edited by RyanRising

1 minute ago, RyanRising said:

Isn’t that the case with all engines that have an ignition sound? Definitely not unintended behaviour due to this mod.

Not sure, if we have the same understanding of ignition sound. Normally if staged with 0 throttle you get a little sound of vents opening (how I would describe). The sound the engine produces right now is more in terms of full throttle launch extreme sound (in this case of a starting space shuttle).... so there should be a "fzzt", but there is a "kabroooom" ;-D

3 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

Not sure, if we have the same understanding of ignition sound. Normally if staged with 0 throttle you get a little sound of vents opening (how I would describe). The sound the engine produces right now is more in terms of full throttle launch extreme sound (in this case of a starting space shuttle).... so there should be a "fzzt", but there is a "kabroooom" ;-D

Oh, yeah, it is possible WaterfallRestock modifies what that sound is - I know Waterfall has sounds from KW rocketry amongst others in there. But it’s still the same behaviour you’d see in stock.

If you’re not a fan of it, you could try deleting the part of the Vector configuration that deals with audio, or just editing it to replace the sound with the stock sound-vent-soft. 

Edited by RyanRising

4 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

Oh, yeah, it is possible WaterfallRestock modifies what that sound is - I know Waterfall has sounds from KW rocketry amongst others in there. But it’s still the same behaviour you’d see in stock.

If you’re not a fan of it, you could try deleting the part of the Vector configuration that deals with audio, or just editing it to replace the sound with the stock sound-vent-soft. 

No I don't think it is about being a fan or not. With the new config it is just a bug. Why should you have a full launch sound, while your engine is sitting on the launch pad doing nothing. Try the engine and you will understand.

1 hour ago, chris-kerbal said:

No I don't think it is about being a fan or not. With the new config it is just a bug. Why should you have a full launch sound, while your engine is sitting on the launch pad doing nothing. Try the engine and you will understand.

I have tried it, and I understand what you’re talking about. But I don’t think it’s a bug - as far as I’m aware, this is functioning completely as intended. The engines always play sound on startup, but this mod, as did RealPlume before it, changes that sound to be more inline with the sound you’d get from igniting a rocket engine. This is likely due to an expectation on the author’s part that the engine will mostly be started with some nonzero amount of throttle, and so they thought the tradeoff of it sounding out of place when the throttle was at zero was worth it. But it’s not a malfunction, it’s a limitation on the audio system that you can’t play different sounds for different amounts of throttle on engine ignition. So it really does come down to either being a fan of that choice or not. Clearly you’re not, so modifying the configurations would be a good choice.

Or installing Rocket Sound Enhancement. That’s a good mod, and should produce sounds more in line with what you’d expect.

1 hour ago, RyanRising said:

I have tried it, and I understand what you’re talking about. But I don’t think it’s a bug - as far as I’m aware, this is functioning completely as intended. The engines always play sound on startup, but this mod, as did RealPlume before it, changes that sound to be more inline with the sound you’d get from igniting a rocket engine. This is likely due to an expectation on the author’s part that the engine will mostly be started with some nonzero amount of throttle, and so they thought the tradeoff of it sounding out of place when the throttle was at zero was worth it. But it’s not a malfunction, it’s a limitation on the audio system that you can’t play different sounds for different amounts of throttle on engine ignition. So it really does come down to either being a fan of that choice or not. Clearly you’re not, so modifying the configurations would be a good choice.

Or installing Rocket Sound Enhancement. That’s a good mod, and should produce sounds more in line with what you’d expect.

I wasn't aware, that you can only play one sound per trigger and hence this was a trade-off the dev made. That explains it much better.

16 minutes ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

I cant install the mod. I installed it with restock but the stock one doesn't work. I had real plume wile i installed it with restock. Do i need to install real plume as well? Also im using Beyond Home is that affect it?

Which version did you download? The "Waterfall" or "WaterfallRestock"? Because WaterfallRestock is the one with the plumes for the engines in restock. But if you want the plume for stock engines, @Knight of St John has made this:

40 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Which version did you download? The "Waterfall" or "WaterfallRestock"? Because WaterfallRestock is the one with the plumes for the engines in restock. But if you want the plume for stock engines, @Knight of St John has made this:

StockWaterfallEffects and it didnt work. I installed it manually and via CKAN. Both with no resolts.

1 hour ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

StockWaterfallEffects and it didnt work. I installed it manually and via CKAN. Both with no resolts.

Just getting this out of the way: are you sure you have the latest versions of Waterfall, StockWaterfallEffects and Module Manager in your GameData folder? All 3 are required to see the effects.

Just now, BlackEyedPhantom said:

Yes. Its not my first time installing mods.

Okay, just wanted to confirm. Are you trying to use Stock Waterfall Effects with Restock? If so, that won't work and you need WaterfallRestock instead. 

It's also possible that you're simply not using an engine that has been configured for Waterfall, as Stock Waterfall Effects is a WIP and not all of the engines have had their plumes done. There should be a list of engines that have been configured in the Stock Waterfall Effects thread.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

10 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Okay, just wanted to confirm. Are you trying to use Stock Waterfall Effects with Restock? If so, that won't work and you need WaterfallRestock instead. 

It's also possible that you're simply not using an engine that has been configured for Waterfall, as Stock Waterfall Effects is a WIP and not all of the engines have had their plumes done. There should be a list of engines that have been configured in the Stock Waterfall Effects thread.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Im trying to use stock engines with waterfall. I dont want restock. It looks good but i dont really like the plumes. If i can make my own ones (idk how) i will install it. 

4 minutes ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

Im trying to use stock engines with waterfall. I dont want restock. It looks good but i dont really like the plumes. If i can make my own ones (idk how) i will install it. 

You don't like the WaterfallRestock plumes?

12 minutes ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. Stock Waterfall Effects provides Waterfall plumes for stock engines, which is what you say you want.

27 minutes ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

just read the github wiki, tells you everything you need to know to make your own plumes with included templates.

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. Stock Waterfall Effects provides Waterfall plumes for stock engines, which is what you say you want.

Yes i want stock waterfall effects BUT ITS NOT WORKING! Thats all. YES ive installed this version, YES I have the latest module manager, NO i DO NOT want Restock! Is this clears stuff?

2 hours ago, EnderKid2 said:

You don't like the WaterfallRestock plumes?

I do bit they are a bit too dull too realistic for me. I know plume in vacuum is barely visible but i want fire visible which Real Plume does a great job but also i want those realistic looking clean shock diamonds and cones which is better in Waterfall.

So for some reason the only engine this doesn't work on for me is the restock nerva nuclear engine? Like the whole plume is missing, (I have restock waterfall installed) All other engines work fine besides that one, though the little side thrusters show the plume but the main one is missing any ideas? Also my WaterfallFX editor button on toolbar vanished lol

Mod list - https://imgur.com/a/ClOI8OC

Ksp version - 1.11.9

Ksp.log - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mV5UhtH5TgNlmTU2Dor8sADFQwbfTRmf/view?usp=sharing

Player.log - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gm7XAICsO9pxokGT5jbcDTiZe7zeG4Iz/view?usp=sharing

Edited by VCamProbe

I noticed a couple of visual issues with multiple engines: plume animations run in unison and overlaying plumes become way too bright.

It might be a good idea to randomize animation starting point. As for overlaying plumes, I don't know, is it possible to make plumes more transparent when there are a bunch of them close together?