[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

Found a bug that causes the inability to launch spacecraft with kodiak engine.

Repro steps:
1. Install ReStock, Restock+, Waterfall, WaterfallRestock

2. Add Kodiak engine to any craft

3. Hit launch

It won't launch and will instead return to KSP. I'm not sure if the bug is with Waterfall alone but I had only the above mods installed when I noticed it.

Edited by Jalaris

3 hours ago, Jalaris said:

Repro steps:

3. Hit launch

It won't launch and will instead return to KSP. I'm not sure if the bug is with Waterfall alone but I had only the above mods installed when I noticed it.

You're using the newest release correct?

13 hours ago, Jalaris said:

Repro steps:

3. Hit launch

This is resolved in the newest release. Which I have released but I neglected to post it. So, to note:

Waterfall 0.2.5

• Fixed randomness values for shaders being lost sometime in the past

WaterfallRestock 0.1.2

• Fixed duplicated Kodiak config

30 minutes ago, Lathari said:

Not the original poster but having the same issue. Deleted both Waterfall and WaterfallRestock folders and re-installed, no luck.

Are you 100% sure you have WaterfallRestock 0.1.2?

-edit: actually looks like the deletion event was not propagated so the file is still there. Until I fix this you can delete LiquidEngineKodiak.cfg to fix it. 

Edited by Nertea

If someone makes a cfg mod that applies to even just stock engines, it's going to be revolutionary.

By the way, how do mesh-driven plumes work? Is it something like the plumes in SR2?

I love the progress of this mod, keep up the great work. You'll be saving thousands of lives of crappy GPUs.

Edited by kerbalxploder

Hey !

Just want to point a strange behaviour.

When waterfall and waterfall restock are installed, my LV-T45 engine make rocket wobble and become uncontrolable right after the lift (even very basic 2×Flt-400 fuel tank rockets) . After some tests, remove waterfall make the physic work again.

But I thought that waterfall was just a visual mod right ?

Hey, bug(?) report.

I have discovered that Clickthroughblocker can actually tamper with the functionality of the plume editing UI. I was previously using Realplume, which the editor required Toolbar, and the toolbar mod required Clickthroughblocker.

I don't know why Linuxgurugamer makes the two dependencies, but all I know is that I had it in my Gamedata folder, I experienced the waterfall UI being extremely glitchy, I suspected Clickthroughblocker, I removed it, and it works like a charm. Could you make the UI usable with Clickthroughblocker? Thanks.

@Nertea hello?

Edited by kerbalxploder

23 hours ago, Carni35 said:

Hey !

When waterfall and waterfall restock are installed, my LV-T45 engine make rocket wobble and become uncontrolable right after the lift (even very basic 2×Flt-400 fuel tank rockets) . After some tests, remove waterfall make the physic work again.

I had something similar, but I didn't suspect waterfall. I was using FAR, and the issue didn't persist when I removed FAR. Is FAR also a part of your mod list?

9omnyEf.png

Also, as a half-Japanese person, I thought I would correct the plume for the Skipper which has the model of the LE-7. All operational Japanese Liquid rockets run on Hydrolox, so I'm making a hydrolox plume that doesn't look like a bloodbath pouring out of the nozzle, and also doesn't look like kerolox like it did previously. Currently lacking the Mach diamond, but I'm working on it. I'll also make it expand a bit less, but it's what it looks like right now. 

Edited by kerbalxploder

I think it's about finished. Looks way better than before, and certainly more accurate than the red, generic Hydrolox template.

img%5Dimg%5D

If anyone wants to use it, here it is.  It has one problem, the plume looks good, but there is a bug that makes a part of it point upwards. You'll see it when you try. Don't worry, its not easy to see from a distance.

To use this, follow these steps:

1. Download this.
  2. Move the .cfg file into GameData/Waterfall/Templates.
  3. Go to the .cfg of the engine you want to use this on.
  4. For one of the last lines, there should be a variable that says "templateName". Find it.
  5. Change the value of templateName from whatever it was before to "waterfall-hydrolox-xploder-1", then save the .cfg
  6. Launch KSP. 
Edited by kerbalxploder

On 11/21/2020 at 5:23 PM, Carni35 said:

Hey !

I was unable to reproduce this:

1. Built a ship with 1x LV-T-45, 2x FL-T400, 1x Mk1 Command Pod
  2. Launched (no SAS)
  3. Flew up for quite a while without any wobble and stuff (maybe 20 km)

Hello @Nertea and @danfarnsy

Thank you for your answer and your time !

After multiple tests it appears that this uncontrollable wobble happens only when FAR and Waterfall are simultaneously installed. Each one works perfectly alone.

So there is kind of an interaction between these two mods. What's strange is that I didn't have any physical bug like this with all the previous engine in the techtree (I'm playing career).

If you have an idea about how to fix this problem I will take it ^^ This physical glitch doesn't happen when realplume is installed instead of waterfall

Thanks again ! :)

56 minutes ago, Carni35 said:

After multiple tests it appears that this uncontrollable wobble happens only when FAR and Waterfall are simultaneously installed. Each one works perfectly alone.

So there is kind of an interaction between these two mods. What's strange is that I didn't have any physical bug like this with all the previous engine in the techtree (I'm playing career).

If you have an idea about how to fix this problem I will take it ^^ This physical glitch doesn't happen when realplume is installed instead of waterfall

I think FAR is mistaking the mesh plume as a physical object, and it's giving it colliders.  I wonder if there is a cfg somewhere that you can set false so it won't do this?

1 hour ago, Carni35 said:

That's a good avenue for investigation, thanks!

On 11/23/2020 at 11:30 AM, Carni35 said:

This should be fixed in the latest version of FAR