[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

I'm new to config files and this is probably a dumb question, but the only sounds that play are the start-up and shutdown sounds and I'm unsure what I'm doing wrong.

Config:

@PART[DIRECT_SSME_B]:AFTER[ReStock]:NEEDS[Waterfall]
{
  // Removes the stock effect block, and replace it with one that has no particles
	!EFFECTS {}
	EFFECTS
	{
		running_engine
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = Waterfall/Sounds/EnsouSounds/Loop_Liquid_Medium_High_2
				volume = 0.0 0.0
				volume = 0.1 0.3
				volume = 1.0 1.0
				pitch = 0.0 0.7
				pitch = 1.0 1.0
				loop = true
			}
		}
		engage
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = Waterfall/Sounds/KW/sound_liq6
				volume = 1.0
				pitch = 1.0
				loop = false
			}
		}
		disengage
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_explosion_low
				volume = 1.0
				pitch = 0.8
				loop = false
			}
		}
		flameout
		{
			PREFAB_PARTICLE
			{
				prefabName = fx_exhaustSparks_flameout_2
				transformName = thrustTransform
				oneShot = true
				//localOffset = 0,0,1.8
			}
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_explosion_low
				volume = 1.0
				pitch = 0.8
				loop = false
			}
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWaterfallFX
		// This is a custom name
		moduleID = SSMEfx
		// This links the effects to a given ModuleEngines
		engineID = BDBJ2sl

// List out all controllers we want available
		CONTROLLER
		{
			name = atmosphereDepth
			linkedTo = atmosphere_density
		}
		CONTROLLER
		{
			name = throttle
			linkedTo = throttle
			responseRateUp = 0.005
			responseRateDown = 0.1
		}
		CONTROLLER
		{
			name = random
			linkedTo = random
			range = 0,1
		}
		// -----------------------------------------------------
		// Past here should be generated with the ingame editor!
		// ------
		TEMPLATE
		{
			// This is the name of the template to use
			templateName =  waterfall-hydrolox-lower-4
			// This field allows you to override the parentTransform name in the EFFECTS contained in the template
			overrideParentTransform = thrustTransform
			// scale the templated effect
			position = 0,0,-0.02
			rotation = 0, 0, 0
			scale = 0.775, 0.775, 0.775
		}
  }
}

8 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

I'm new to config files and this is probably a dumb question, but the only sounds that play are the start-up and shutdown sounds and I'm unsure what I'm doing wrong.

I think you may need to change the engineID to basicEngine. And I don't think you don't have enough controllers for that plume. Do you have SWFE? If nothing else it serves as a pretty complete set of examples. And if you are modding an engine that has waterfall already then you edit the @ModuleWaterfallFX {stuff here} module not create one.

10 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

You're not using the right running effect name, it should be running_closed: https://github.com/benjee10/reDIRECT/blob/db77a989eeebed209e2115031a506d99dedb698a/reDIRECT_0.10.1/GameData/reDIRECT/Phase1/Parts/Placeholder/SSME.cfg#L142.

You might also want get to rid of the response rate lines in the throttle controller.

Edited by Al2Me6

On 5/7/2021 at 3:21 PM, snkiz said:

I think you may need to change the engineID to basicEngine. And I don't think you don't have enough controllers for that plume. Do you have SWFE? If nothing else it serves as a pretty complete set of examples. And if you are modding an engine that has waterfall already then you edit the @ModuleWaterfallFX {stuff here} module not create one.

@KeaKaka
I came to say Thank You! for this piece of advice from snkiz. I was having the same issue as you, but sure enough the way that KnightOfSaintJohn wrote the configs for Stock Waterfall Effects makes them super easy to use as a template for modding basically any other engine for Waterfall support.

Looks like you are trying to add Waterfall support for the ReDIRECT SSME? Best of luck, Cheers.

On 3/3/2021 at 7:53 PM, Nertea said:

Coming soon with integrated lighting and better HDR support too:

So I'm reading through the entire thread. This is the first time I've noticed a screenshot like that and HDR mentioned together, and the KSP2 shots look like that to. So maybe I'm slow to catch up. Is HDR supposed to look like nvidia's petroleum jelly filter (DLSS)? Or is that just because my monitor isn't HDR and those shots are? 

2 hours ago, snkiz said:

So I'm reading through the entire thread. This is the first time I've noticed a screenshot like that and HDR mentioned together, and the KSP2 shots look like that to. So maybe I'm slow to catch up. Is HDR supposed to look like nvidia's petroleum jelly filter (DLSS)? Or is that just because my monitor isn't HDR and those shots are? 

HDR means High Dynamic Range. Basically deeper blacks and brighter whites; higher contrast all around, and richer color. It's not necessarily supposed to look any specific way in particular; the appearance there is probably a result of a) of not having the monitor as you guessed, and b) the post-processing filter used to add HDR to the game (note the background is also affected, and the precise language used: HDR support, as in, works with it if you have it, rather than adding it)

2 minutes ago, WarriorSabe said:

a) of not having the monitor as you guessed

Well that's worrisome. A lot screencaps from new games look smeared like this.  I've seen HDR panels before, I don't like them, made everything look super fake. I haven't been new game shopping in a while. I hope regular graphics aren't neglected over this. My monitor isn't super cheap it's a Benq 1440 VA panel. Has 10 bit colour.

2 hours ago, snkiz said:

Well that's worrisome. A lot screencaps from new games look smeared like this.  I've seen HDR panels before, I don't like them, made everything look super fake. I haven't been new game shopping in a while. I hope regular graphics aren't neglected over this. My monitor isn't super cheap it's a Benq 1440 VA panel. Has 10 bit colour.

Hmm, not sure what you're referring to with the smearing. The effects of not having an HDR monitor would be more a washing out

The overly dramatic lens flares and general haziness. LIke I said like petroleum jelly smeared on the camera lens. All the edges look hazy. Witch is not my experience with actual HDR equipment, quite the opposite. To me with HDR the edges are to crisp, colours are unnatural in a uncanny valley kind of way. So what's worrisome to me is that 'HDR' images look worse then normal ones if you don't have HDR. This isn't the place to debate it, I was  just curious if the effect was intentional.

I love this mod so much it has led me try my hand at modding for the first time, so please forgive my ignorance.  I am trying to add Waterfall to the Advanced Vernier Thrusters in the Kerbal Reusability Expansion mod.  I think I have added the configs properly, but there is no material present.  In the screenshots you can see the material present for the regular Vernier thruster (thanks @snkiz).  I am using the same Waterfall template for both thrusters.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bTs4XqoLkOKFyuwAV5U6GJlNekQ41uMOK4ILJY5PzWT13GsjdukrGj47IsNy5MFNBvVR5HPV67pdAtjLlAte4TFpQpcGND9kCI5dcdNqMqieT0wnEN0g2UYPJzJQIrpKMlIQrUR6

SMpCaWZ6_lnJUZyoOxyMVk1sjkx-vuHOd_6sXoOl_zoHaAmJ8j6F2AkrtR0hwXGKqNtbOh1QgAigFZAiQj8k-B7kBmLJNq3EV_xV_jKNEiZkgPR5OYm-Gwbm4Qxe4T51_Ujbh7tX

12 hours ago, snkiz said:

The overly dramatic lens flares and general haziness. LIke I said like petroleum jelly smeared on the camera lens. All the edges look hazy. Witch is not my experience with actual HDR equipment, quite the opposite. To me with HDR the edges are to crisp, colours are unnatural in a uncanny valley kind of way. So what's worrisome to me is that 'HDR' images look worse then normal ones if you don't have HDR. This isn't the place to debate it, I was  just curious if the effect was intentional.

the haziness seems to just be bloom, which afaik is an unrelated graphics setting

13 minutes ago, Probus said:

Is there a place where folks (not playing RO/RSS) are organizing to add Waterfall plumes to engines in part packs? I know, given enough time, @linuxgurugamer and @Nertea would prolly do plumes for everything, but we need to start some kind of 'Community Waterfall Plumes'.  Maybe a GitHub and a Discord. 

I'd be happy to curate it, but I'm not going to be doing anything with Waterfall myself

18 hours ago, snkiz said:

Ah, yes, that's the result of the second thing I mentioned: Getting HDR into KSP (which is not normally HDR) means using post processing mods like TUFX, and unfortunately basically every config for them uses several effects and grossly overexxagerates them.

11 hours ago, Starseeker said:

the haziness seems to just be bloom, which afaik is an unrelated graphics setting

And that would be why it bothers me. I turn off bloom most of the time. If the game really needs it I turn it down to minimal levels. I don't like the JJ look, those movies flopped, I don't understand why people keep copying that. 

16 hours ago, Probus said:

I know, given enough time, @linuxgurugamer and @Nertea would prolly do plumes for everything

Hmm, I wouldn't be too sure of that. Nertea may be the dev of Waterfall, but it's basically up to "We, the people" to use waterfall to make plumes for our engines. I've happened to want to have waterfall plumes for stock , so I made them. If mod creators that add new engines want nice plumes for them, it's probably best that they, or someone they know, create the plumes themselves. And of course, if some individual wants to have a go at making plumes for a mod, then they are welcome to start up their own modding thread here, like I did a few months ago.

17 hours ago, Arqane said:

I love this mod so much it has led me try my hand at modding for the first time, so please forgive my ignorance.  I am trying to add Waterfall to the Advanced Vernier Thrusters in the Kerbal Reusability Expansion mod.  I think I have added the configs properly, but there is no material present.  In the screenshots you can see the material present for the regular Vernier thruster (thanks @snkiz).  I am using the same Waterfall template for both thrusters.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hmm. It could be many things. but it sounds to me like you copied existing rcs configs to this modded part's config file. you probably need to check if the transforms have the same name. for stock rcs engines, they are called "rcsjet" or "rcs". for regular stock engines, it's "thrustTransform" but this mod could use something else.
Also, it could be that the shader specified in the config isn't in your waterfall install. so be sure to get the latest version.

5 minutes ago, Giancarlo Kerman said:

would it be possible for some premade configs to be implemented into the mod or at least a link to the edited configs? because I have No experience with Config edits...

Do you mean templates? There are templates bundled with the mod. 

What are you trying to do?

10 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Do you mean templates? There are templates bundled with the mod. 

What are you trying to do?

im probably dumber than sand but i cant figure out how to get it to work, I have all the dependencies but for some reason the editor will say that there is no config

once again this is me probably being stupid and overlooking something but if someone could provide a premade MM patch, it would save me a ton of trouble

Just now, Giancarlo Kerman said:

im probably dumber than sand but i cant figure out how to get it to work, I have all the dependencies but for some reason the editor will say that there is no config

once again this is me probably being stupid and overlooking something but if someone could provide a premade MM patch, it would save me a ton of trouble

I’m just unsure what you’re trying to do. 
Are you trying to get effects for engines?

Trying to create custom effects?