[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

5 hours ago, SynX said:

I recently started making an engine, the AM radiant drive version 2 for Interstellar, which will be based on Waterfall effects. It is supposed to look something like this.

Radiant drive? Just what exactly is that? Is it laser core antimatter?

Please note that RealPlume Stock has been updated with a new catch all patch that should hopefully automatically detect if a part has a Waterfall config and if so delete the RealPlume node.

As such you should be able to run both mods together. Waterfall configs will take priority but parts that dont have Waterfall configs can still receive RealPlumes.

EDIT: The auto patch ran into some unforseen problems so the deconflicting will continue manually. Updates forthcoming to fix conflicts with NFLV and NF propulsion shortly. I will also make a PR to CryoEngines which carries its configs internally.

As mentioned before please direct any potential issues regarding RealPlume and Waterfall conflicts to me  and not bother Nertea with it.  You can do so at the RealPlume-stock thread or Github issues page https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume-StockConfigs/issues 

One final note, whether its about RealPlume or Waterfall, if its related to Realism Overhaul they run their own plume configs. Any questions should be referred to RO directly.

Edited by Zorg

On 1/13/2021 at 5:13 PM, WarriorSabe said:

Radiant drive? Just what exactly is that? Is it laser core antimatter?

yeah

YvYassj.png

Anyways, I got it to show up here, but I am unable to add it as an effect, no matter which shader I choose. A4pV32B.png

When I was able to add it by choosing another model and add, both will show up. However for the radiator one, I was unable to do any further operation, while the console is spammed by reference null exceptions.

Edited by SynX

3 hours ago, H0FF1 said:

Is it normal that there isnt any plume effect outside of the atmosphere? i mean it makes sense. but there really isnt ANY effect besides a small glowing thats really hard to see. just wondering.

Do you have a screenshot you could show? It sounds like you might just be using an engine like the KS-25 or something else based on IRL hydrolox engines, which iirc have a *very* transparent plume in vacuum.

4 hours ago, Starseeker said:

Do you have a screenshot you could show? It sounds like you might just be using an engine like the KS-25 or something else based on IRL hydrolox engines, which iirc have a *very* transparent plume in vacuum.

i mainly use the poodle engine currently. but its also the same on the terrier or swivel. i uploaded some pics on imgur with a bit of info text what youre looking at. i hope you can help

https://imgur.com/a/HtmYxzh

36 minutes ago, H0FF1 said:

i mainly use the poodle engine currently. but its also the same on the terrier or swivel. i uploaded some pics on imgur with a bit of info text what youre looking at. i hope you can help

Doing some testing myself, and that's pretty much what I see as well! The terrier, poodle, and (to an extent) the swivel are all geared towards upper stages, so their plumes are gonna be fairly dim even at sea level, and vanishingly so in vacuum. Overall, I'd say things are probably working as intended :D

On 1/16/2021 at 5:13 PM, H0FF1 said:

Yeah more or less correct, will depend on any post-processing and other graphics mods you may have.

On 1/14/2021 at 3:24 PM, SynX said:

yeah

YvYassj.png

Anyways, I got it to show up here, but I am unable to add it as an effect, no matter which shader I choose. A4pV32B.png

When I was able to add it by choosing another model and add, both will show up. However for the radiator one, I was unable to do any further operation, while the console is spammed by reference null exceptions.

Sorry, really need more detail here to understand, like logs, actual steps I can take to reproduce it. I still think you're doing something fundamentally wrong with the workflow and it's hard to figure it out from the descriptions provided.  

27 minutes ago, Pioneer_Steve said:

This is the simple config I set up.

Note that CONTROLLER should be inside the module.

I don't know how RO works. Do RO engines still use ModuleEngines/ModuleEnginesFX? If not, the mod won't work and a new controller would need to be written. 

I'd like to see the whole engine config file, if you could. Also a logfile because this looks like an initialization issue. 

Just found out about this, looks awesome!

But then I saw this last post, and I play exclusively with Realism Overhaul....  :(

Anybody using RO managed to get this working? I guess I'll give it a shot later on.

Damn man... if I had a nickel for every time I saw a new brilliant mod, thought "HURRAY!" only to find out later it doesn't work with RO I'd be filthy rich.

5 minutes ago, kerbalxploder said:

@Nertea Don't mean to ruin your day, but can you perhaps create cfgs for the restock engines like the spark, or maybe even the jet engines, at least the rapier?? Thanks for your time if you're even reading this

I made a config for the Spark and Twitch, it's pretty simple.

not sure how to put it here though.

Edited by EnderKid2

On 1/20/2021 at 2:20 PM, Nertea said:

I don't know how RO works. Do RO engines still use ModuleEngines/ModuleEnginesFX? If not, the mod won't work and a new controller would need to be written. 

I'd like to see the whole engine config file, if you could. Also a logfile because this looks like an initialization issue. 

23 hours ago, JeeF said:

Anybody using RO managed to get this working? I guess I'll give it a shot later on.

I have gotten Waterfall working with ROEngines, though it takes some... finagling to keep the sound from RealPlume. There's probably a more efficient way to do this, but here we go:

Spoiler

@PART[ROE-NK33]:NEEDS[Waterfall]:FOR[zzzWaterfall_ROEngines]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleWaterfallFX
        // This is a custom name
        moduleID = roe_nk-33
        // This links the effects to a given ModuleEngines
        engineID = basicEngine

// List out all controllers we want available
        // This controller scales with atmosphere depth
        CONTROLLER
        {
            name = atmosphereDepth
            linkedTo = atmosphere_density
        }
        // This controller scales with effective throttle
        CONTROLLER
        {
            name = throttle
            linkedTo = throttle
        }
        // This controller generates a random value in the range specified
        CONTROLLER
        {
            name = random
            linkedTo = random
            range = -1,1
        }

TEMPLATE
        {
            templateName = waterfall-kerolox-lower-2
            overrideParentTransform = thrustTransform
            scale = 1.1,1.1,1.1
            rotation = 0,0,0
            position = 0,0.41,0.51
        }
    }
}

// Remove the plume but keep the sound effects.
@PART[ROE*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleWaterfallFX]]:FOR[zzzWaterfall_ROEngines]
{
    @EFFECTS
    {
        @Kerolox-Lower,* {
            !MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST,* {}
        }
        @Kerolox_LowerAlt,* {
        }
        @Kerolox-Exhaust,* {
        }
        @Kerolox_LowerAspirated,* {
        }
        @Kerolox-Upper,* {
        }
        @CombinedPlume,*:HAS[!plumeIdentifier[Kerolox-Exhaust]] {
        }
    }
}

dbl7R0y.png

uGITDVE.png

I would try to make more configs and fully custom plumes, but haven't found the time.

Edited by Al2Me6

On 1/19/2021 at 5:04 AM, Nertea said:

Yeah more or less correct, will depend on any post-processing and other graphics mods you may have.

Sorry, really need more detail here to understand, like logs, actual steps I can take to reproduce it. I still think you're doing something fundamentally wrong with the workflow and it's hard to figure it out from the descriptions provided.  

Anyways, just by adding a cube in Unity editor and a part tool module, and export it, I was able to get it to show up as a functional effect, the settings are listed below. At this stage, I know that exporting an "empty" as a parent of a dozen distinct meshes isn't going to work.Qd1Rvfd.png

I thought I had figured it out, and I tried to join the 12 panels together with a torus, with identical settings directly on the mesh of the radiator that I want to make an effect out of, but it did not work. It showed up, but it isn't functional.hb4NoCX.png

Initially, I thought too complicated a shape might not work, and I had a backup plan.  I applied the settings to the meshes of individual panels, which are no more than a triangular panel,  and my plan is to have multiples of the two variants of panels arranged in the circular pattern,  by only changing the rotational angle on the z axis... And turns out, only the cube is a functional effect. And now I'm out of ideasmpsbmUB.png

Anyways, here are my models, the seperate panel and combined panels are the radiators. If anyone can make them work, please do me a favor. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgckiYEHnPo7geIB0AWj5I4gAUs2nQ?e=1Egf7w

@Al2Me6
Thanks for sharing the code. A few questions:

1) How do I implement this code? Is there a tutorial somewhere?
2) Do I need to add the code manually for each individual engine?
3) I use a few other mods that adds engines, like SSTU. Do I need to manually add for those as well?
4) How about jet engines?

Edited by JeeF

Just wanted to drop in to show my appreciation -- Waterfall with Restock is gorgeous and performs beautifully. Much respect and thanks for your hard work.

9 hours ago, JeeF said:

@Al2Me6
Thanks for sharing the code. A few questions:

1) How do I implement this code? Is there a tutorial somewhere?
2) Do I need to add the code manually for each individual engine?
3) I use a few other mods that adds engines, like SSTU. Do I need to manually add for those as well?
4) How about jet engines?

1. Open the links, copy the code, paste into a new text file with a .cfg extension, and place the file in the GameData directory.  Restart KSP.  I maintain a separate folder in GameData  for my local MM configs so that they won't get overwritten if a mod updates.  Unless you know what you're doing, modifying a mod's folder structure and contents is unwise.  There is a ModuleManager site on GitHub in which you'll find some help in the wiki.  A Google search might also reveal something.
  2. Yes and no.  These two MM patches affect two specific engines only.  If you want to apply them to other engines, you'll need to duplicate and modify the code appropriately.
  3. Yes, if you want custom effects for those engines.
  4. No idea.

On 1/25/2021 at 9:04 PM, SynX said:

Anyways, just by adding a cube in Unity editor and a part tool module, and export it, I was able to get it to show up as a functional effect, the settings are listed below. At this stage, I know that exporting an "empty" as a parent of a dozen distinct meshes isn't going to work.

I thought I had figured it out, and I tried to join the 12 panels together with a torus, with identical settings directly on the mesh of the radiator that I want to make an effect out of, but it did not work. It showed up, but it isn't functional.

Initially, I thought too complicated a shape might not work, and I had a backup plan.  I applied the settings to the meshes of individual panels, which are no more than a triangular panel,  and my plan is to have multiples of the two variants of panels arranged in the circular pattern,  by only changing the rotational angle on the z axis... And turns out, only the cube is a functional effect. And now I'm out of ideas

Anyways, here are my models, the seperate panel and combined panels are the radiators. If anyone can make them work, please do me a favor. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgckiYEHnPo7geIB0AWj5I4gAUs2nQ?e=1Egf7w

I'm still fundamentally not sure what you're trying to do, it really sounds like something this mod is not designed to do. 

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

I'm still fundamentally not sure what you're trying to do, it really sounds like something this mod is not designed to do. 

I'm trying to make some glowing panels, is that out of the scope?

9 hours ago, SynX said:

I'm trying to make some glowing panels, is that out of the scope?

Generically, glowing panels seem best accomplished with simple emissive materials on the part. Making 'sheaths' that glow around panels is going to run into some issues with the shaders that are used here.