[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

I'm absolutely loving this mod!

Quick question though:
I was playing around with the "waterfall-kerolox-lower-5-film-cooled" template, and depending on the camera angle the dark features bleed through / are rendered on top of the plume.
This is only an issue with multi-nozzle or clustered engines.
Is it currently possible to render all alpha shaders before the additive ones?

SkK145x.jpg

Edited by Hyunkell

12 minutes ago, Hyunkell said:

Quick question through:
I was playing around with the "waterfall-kerolox-lower-5-film-cooled" template, and depending on the camera angle the dark features bleed through / are rendered on top of the plume.

SkK145x.jpg

Sorry, somewhat unrelated, but what mod are those tank-butt conical adapter pieces from? If they're a piece separate from the engines themselves, I might want to grab them :o

On 3/7/2021 at 2:20 AM, Hyunkell said:

Quick question though:

This has been sorted out in the upcoming release. 

This is a pretty big update. Major features:

• Vastly improved HDR support.
  • Plume lighting effects
  • Distortion effects
  • Significant improvements to built-in templates
  • Lots of QoL improvements for plume makers

We put together a little gallery here:

gr1THyD.png

Waterfall 0.6.0

• Moved 'engineID' field inside the Throttle controller
  • Added 'thrusterTransformName' field to RCS controllers, which will allow them to map to unique ModuleRCSFX
  • Added a new 'minimum' field to perlin noise that allows the generation of negative numbers. Renamed old 'scale' to 'maximum', as that's what it was
  • When adding effects, can now select a Workflow, which filters Shaders and Models so they are easier to match up with valid choices
  • When selecting modifier types, visible target transforms are filtered so only valid ones are shows (e.g, no)
  • Fix for culling of Alpha (Directional) shader
  • Improved algorithm for effect sorting, should be better most of the time
  • Fix for all shaders under HDR mode: significantly better looks!
  • Better descriptions/text in the UI when selecting models, shaders, etc
  • Various UI fixes throughout
  • Added support for Lights
    • More or less like EngineLight
    • Add Lights through the usual workflow
    • Apply modifiers to modify light parameters like other effects
  • Added new Deformation (Dynamic) shader
  • Added new simple plane models for use in various effects
  • Templates are now better
    • Specifying multiple templates per module are now supported in configs
    • Editing multiple templates at once is supported in the UI

WaterfallRestock 0.2.1

• Fixed Restock+ Galleon effects
  • Fixed Spider effects
  • Adpated to new Waterfall 0.6.0 stuff

7 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

So like heat distortion??? :o

Indeed. Probably not the best example but you can see some of that here. Anyone making jet engine templates should get really good use out it too.

This mod is fantastic! And it keeps on getting better, wow! Absolutely beautiful plumes, thank you very much. Appreciate to backwards compatibility too, have no issues running this on 1.10.1.

For anyone who knows their syntax, do these lines, in the new Waterfall effects for individual engines (looking at Waterfall Restock)...

!EFFECTS {}

!MODULE[EngineLightEffect] {}

...basically say, if you have the EngineLight mod, delete that module for that part, to give precedence to the new effect?

And if so, does that mean leaving EngineLightRelit installed allows engine parts, like SRBs, KA NTRs, and NFP Ion Engines, or other third party engines to still use their EngineLight patches, without screwing up the Waterfall lighting effects for those that do have it?

I tried the new Waterfall with and without EngineLightRelit, and nothing seems obviously broken.  Likewise, without doing a side-by-side video recording, I can't tell if EngineLightRelit is adding or detracting from the engines with Waterfall light effects.

3 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Probably an issue on my end but I don't have any waterfall plumes for restock, or cryo engines. Including the RL 10 from BDB

@Zorg

I had no plumes either after updating with CKAN, but I fixed it by uninstalling Waterfall and Waterfall Restock, then re-installing it. 

1CQmIik.png

Edited by Why485

1 hour ago, KSPrynk said:

For anyone who knows their syntax, do these lines, in the new Waterfall effects for individual engines (looking at Waterfall Restock)...

!EFFECTS {}

!MODULE[EngineLightEffect] {}

...basically say, if you have the EngineLight mod, delete that module for that part, to give precedence to the new effect?

And if so, does that mean leaving EngineLightRelit installed allows engine parts, like SRBs, KA NTRs, and NFP Ion Engines, or other third party engines to still use their EngineLight patches, without screwing up the Waterfall lighting effects for those that do have it?

I tried the new Waterfall with and without EngineLightRelit, and nothing seems obviously broken.  Likewise, without doing a side-by-side video recording, I can't tell if EngineLightRelit is adding or detracting from the engines with Waterfall light effects.

Yes, that is correct. This is so you can have the old EL stuff as we move to supporting all those other mods with WF.

19 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Probably an issue on my end but I don't have any waterfall plumes for restock, or cryo engines. Including the RL 10 from BDB

@Zorg

Works fine for a lot of people, you should check your install to make sure it has all the mods/dependencies in the right place. 

25 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

@Zorg

Zorg said in the BDB thread to entirely delete it and then reinstall to update because several file paths changed 

9 hours ago, Zorg said:

Indeed. Probably not the best example but you can see some of that here. Anyone making jet engine templates should get really good use out it too.

That's amazing! I've wanted to see heat refraction effects ever since I saw this:

Never was released unfortunately, but finally we can play around with something a little like it.

Edited by RyanRising

Trying out the new update, and for some reason my Rapier config now links both open and closed cycle plumes to the open cycle mode. Both of them react to the open cycle throttle, and neither one reacts to closed cycle. They were working before I updated though.

As you can see, the Rapier is in airbreathing mode, yet the closed cycle plume is reacting to the throttle.

ZnU53bA.png