[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

yes but speficly this mod is malfuctioning ant it only started after my mod list basicly doubled in size (i also just pemoved this mod entirel and basicly went back to stock.) also me spelling is poo poo wow

On 4/17/2021 at 10:58 AM, Al2Me6 said:

I have indeed verified that the patch shows up in ModuleManager.ConfigCache -- that's what I meant by "show up in ModuleManager," hence why I'm puzzled.

I tried copy-pasted the template out of the cache into its own file, and it does seem to work that way.

I'll talk to MM folks to see if I'm doing anything wrong. 

what was the config

you need something like this in the config for the part or as a modulemanager patch for the part: (this is from the Skipper)

MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleWaterfallFX
    // This is a custom name
    moduleID = skipperFX
    // This links the effects to a given ModuleEngines
    engineID = basicEngine

// List out all controllers we want available
    // This controller scales with atmosphere depth
    CONTROLLER
    {
      name = atmosphereDepth
      linkedTo = atmosphere_density
    }
    // This controller scales with effective throttle
    CONTROLLER
    {
      name = throttle
      linkedTo = throttle
    }
    // this controller generates a random value in the range specified
    CONTROLLER
    {
      name = random
      linkedTo = random
      range = -1,1
    }
    // -----------------------------------------------------
    // Past here should be generated with the ingame editor!
    // -----------------------------------------------------
    TEMPLATE
    {
      // This is the name of the template to use
      templateName = waterfall-hydrolox-lower-2
      // This field allows you to override the parentTransform name in the EFFECTS contained in the template
      overrideParentTransform = thrustTransform
      position = 0,0,0
	  rotation = 0, 0, 0
	  scale = 0.73, 0.73, 0.8
    }

}

Edited by EnderKid2

4 hours ago, Weak Player said:

For my custom plume my swivel engine is getting both the vanilla ans the waterfall plume mashup like shown here:

That's because you need to remove the stock plume manually. This is an example:https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/WaterfallRestock/blob/master/GameData/WaterfallRestock/Patches/Squad/liquidEngineSwivel.cfg#L6-L76

2 hours ago, KallangoVerde said:

Does this mod conflict with PLUME PARTY? Some mods have Waterfall / Plume party as a dependency ... I was in doubt.

No it doesn't conflict.

Same deal as RealPlume, it removes the stock/plumeparty plume and replaces it with the fancy waterfall one.

10 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Does this have any conflicts with Smokescreen and/or RealPlume?

with the latest versions of RealPlume and Waterfall, the configs are set up to not conflict. I think the Waterfall plumes are prioritized so if an engine has both, only the Waterfall patch will be applied.

13 minutes ago, EnderKid2 said:

with the latest versions of RealPlume and Waterfall, the configs are set up to not conflict. I think the Waterfall plumes are prioritized so if an engine has both, only the Waterfall patch will be applied.

Okay. Just trying to run down a cause for the game crashing after leaving the build area. Wanted to rule out some of the more unlikely possibilities first.

Just now, MaverickSawyer said:

Okay. Just trying to run down a cause for the game crashing after leaving the build area. Wanted to rule out some of the more unlikely possibilities first.

even before that prioritization patch, them conflicting would look like an engine having both plumes at once

On 4/28/2021 at 6:39 PM, EnderKid2 said:

Can someone point me to a link that discusses Waterfall and Realism Overhaul?  I was wanting to help get these two integrated as I had done a bit of work with Real Plumes back with @Felger way back when.  Hopefully all is good, but historically it would be closer to say 'let the tweaking commence'.

1 hour ago, Probus said:

Can someone point me to a link that discusses Waterfall and Realism Overhaul?  I was wanting to help get these two integrated as I had done a bit of work with Real Plumes back with @Felger way back when.  Hopefully all is good, but historically it would be closer to say 'let the tweaking commence'.

It's already happening: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/pull/2430.

Plume configs, which will be merged in the near future too, are currently located in https://github.com/vevladdd/ROE-Waterfall. If you're interested in helping, please hop on the official RO Discord server (there's an #ro-waterfall channel there).

4 hours ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

Does the jet engines have plumes for restock? Im using RealPlume as well and the jet engines as well as SRBs use RealPlume. Do they have plumes for stock and ReStock?

Currently WaterfallRestock does not provide jet plumes. If you are using stock, you can use Stock Waterfall which does have jet plumes. 

Why did it take so long to come up with these new plume graphics?  They are just so much better than the original Plumes. More powerful computers or just a brand new way of doing things maybe?

Whatever the reason, I'm really liking them. 

7 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Currently WaterfallRestock does not provide jet plumes. If you are using stock, you can use Stock Waterfall which does have jet plumes. 

Thanks! But restock just looks better then stock. So ill settle with it untill you (idk if u are the dev... If not sorry) update it.

2 hours ago, Probus said:

brand new way of doing things maybe?

This. (for KSP at least). Waterfall plumes are actually more computer-friendly than stock plumes (or something like that) while looking better.

1 hour ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

Thanks! But restock just looks better then stock. So ill settle with it untill you (idk if u are the dev... If not sorry) update it.

Restock doesn't touch stock jets, so that's probably why WaterfallRestock doesn't either. But we should wait and see what @Nertea (the actual dev) thinks about it. Also, Waterfall's fundamentally 'curtain-shaped' plumes don't model the thick voluminous cloud plumes of most SRBs very well, so that's why no Waterfall SRB effects.