[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

On 10/15/2020 at 3:18 AM, mcwaffles2003 said:

I swear by the time KSP 2 comes out it is gunna be outdated by the KSP 1 modders :P

These effects are sick :) Just found this and is "far future technologies" currently under your development? (Or is that another person? The moniker is different, so I have to ask)

Nertea is the developer for FFT, Waterfall is actually being developed as a dependency for FFT.

7 hours ago, Nertea said:

I had a cut at trying to do a linux shader build. Give it a shot (replace these files in your GameData/Waterfall/Shaders folder)

https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/Waterfall/tree/dev/GameData/Waterfall/Shaders

it works on most plumes I tested, and they are extremely pretty. However, the swivel is missing a plume (no pink, just missing) and MM is showing 5 warnings on load.

log

6 minutes ago, toric5 said:

it works on most plumes I tested, and they are extremely pretty. However, the swivel is missing a plume (no pink, just missing) and MM is showing 5 warnings on load.

log

Sounds like it's working perfectly on par with the Windows version, then!

5 hours ago, toric5 said:

log

That's great to hear!

New releases:

Waterfall 0.2.1

• Log levels can now be specified in settings
  • Lowered log levels by default (less logspam)
  • Fixed a few ModuleManager errors
  • Added more flare textures
  • Added compiled shaders for Linux and OSX (somewhat experimental)

WaterfallRestock 0.1.1

• Fixed some MM errors for some plumes
  • Fixed some template errors on load
  • Added Swivel, Skipper plumes
Edited by Nertea

Both are usable at the same time, since they're two different systems. If you mean on the same engine, it works fine, but it'll be hard to see the Waterfall plumes because of RealPlume. I personally just disable the RealPlumes for engines that use Waterfall.

13 hours ago, EchoLima said:

How does this interact with RealPlume? Are both useable at the same time?

10 hours ago, Gojira said:

Both are usable at the same time, since they're two different systems. If you mean on the same engine, it works fine, but it'll be hard to see the Waterfall plumes because of RealPlume. I personally just disable the RealPlumes for engines that use Waterfall.

I'll update RealPlume soon with a :NEEDS[!WaterfallFX]  for restock patches so this is automatic. But yes the mods at their core dont conflict, only the patches affecting the parts need to be resolved. If people write configs for other mods with RealPlume configs (that have their patches in RealPlume-stock) please let me know and I will deconflict. Doing that is the only work I will be doing on RealPlume now that Waterfall is in a version controlled release.

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

I'll update RealPlume soon with a :NEEDS[!WaterfallFX]  for restock patches so this is automatic. But yes the mods at their core dont conflict, only the patches affecting the parts need to be resolved. If people write configs for other mods with RealPlume configs (that have their patches in RealPlume-stock) please let me know and I will deconflict. Doing that is the only work I will be doing on RealPlume now that Waterfall is in a version controlled release.

Could that be done theoretically via MM patch? I’m not sure, but that’s what came in my mind:

@PART[*]:HAS[ModuleWaterfallFX,~UseRealPlume[True]]:AFTER[<SomeLatePass>]
{
  (Remove RealPlume effects stuff here)
}

So if theoretically someone wants to have Waterfall & RealPlume effects in one part they could use the UseRealPlume = True variable to stop RealPlume effects getting deleted. 

Edited by ValiZockt

10 hours ago, Zorg said:

Is that because you'll be working on Waterfall plumes or because you just won't be doing plumes in general?

24 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

Is that because you'll be working on Waterfall plumes or because you just won't be doing plumes in general?

I made a few small contributions to waterfall already, perhaps there will be a few more as I start to convert BDB to Waterfall if we require some custom plumes (which can be be ported to Waterfall main.)

Its worth noting the main reason I even took over RealPlume back in the day was to help support Restock which was left in limbo after the previous maintainer left with no one else stepping up for months. I think waterfall is the future and so I have zero motivation to add new content to Realplume. I wrote out my thoughts on this on the realplume thread in a little more detail.

For me the main reason to keep RealPlume installed alongside Waterfall would be so that engines not patched by Waterfall still has something decent as opposed to stock effects and whatnot as it will take some time for people to catch up to the hundreds of extant realplume configs. The high level of interest in waterfall and the excellent UI which IMO makes creating new effects much easier makes me think major mods will have good support sooner than later though.

Edited by Zorg