[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

On 2/28/2021 at 11:48 PM, CDSlice said:

The Restock+ Pug plume seems to be rotated 90 degrees:

Reveal hidden contents

HWMiO3Y.png

Also, the plume for the Restock+ Valiant looks to me like it is located too high on the model, it is coming from above the engine bell instead of from inside the engine bell.

Edit: The Restock Terrier has the same issue as the pug with the plume rotated 90 degrees. I have the latest versions of Restoc and Waterfall

@CDSlice, I'm not seeing it.  I'm using KSP 1.11.1 x64 on Win 10 with Restock and RestockPlus 1.3.1, Waterfall 0.5.0, and WaterfallRestock  0.2.0.  Are you using all of the same?  Note, there were some pretty significant changes within the last week, so you'll want to make sure everything is up to date (I don't use CKAN).

On 2/28/2021 at 11:48 PM, CDSlice said:

The Restock+ Pug plume seems to be rotated 90 degrees:

Reveal hidden contents

HWMiO3Y.png

Also, the plume for the Restock+ Valiant looks to me like it is located too high on the model, it is coming from above the engine bell instead of from inside the engine bell.

Edit: The Restock Terrier has the same issue as the pug with the plume rotated 90 degrees. I have the latest versions of Restoc and Waterfall

Do you have the latest WaterfalRestock?

IIRC that was an issue in older versions.

34 minutes ago, KSPrynk said:

@CDSlice, I'm not seeing it.  I'm using KSP 1.11.1 x64 on Win 10 with Restock and RestockPlus 1.3.1, Waterfall 0.5.0, and WaterfallRestock  0.2.0.  Are you using all of the same?  Note, there were some pretty significant changes within the last week, so you'll want to make sure everything is up to date (I don't use CKAN).

4 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Do you have the latest WaterfalRestock?

IIRC that was an issue in older versions.

Looks like I'm actually using an out of date WaterfallRestock, I could have sworn I updated it when I updated Waterfall for FFT.  :/

Thanks for the help!

On 2/27/2021 at 8:44 PM, KSPrynk said:

@Nertea, I think I found a visual bug in WaterfallRestock. 

One layer of the engine plume for the ReStocked LV-T45 Swivel, closest to the nozzle, is visible through spacecraft structures when the engines are surface attached, not node attached, to a part. The LV-T30 Reliant is not visible, as expected, but I haven't checked all other engines. I'm running KSP x64 Win 10 with Waterfall 0.5.0, WaterfallRestock 0.2.0, EngineLightRelit 1.6.3, and ReStock 1.3.1.  I confirmed the problem is fixed when WaterfallRestock is removed. I have not verified if there's a similar problem with Stock Waterfall Effects by @Knight of St John.

Craft to replicate (all ReStocked): 1x Mk 1 Cmd Pod, 1x S3-3600 tank, 2x LV-T45 surface attached to bottom.  I dropped an Issue in the WaterfallRestock GitHub.

EDIT for additional info: confirmed this also happens when attaching LV-T45 engines to multi-nodes on engine plates.

BTW, the plume effects are beautiful.  I love the Mach diamonds on the Methalox cryo engines....

EDIT 2: Removed Engine Light from the equation.  Also, the effect is most visible in the dark, but other enviro or FX mods amplify the effect (haven't narrowed down which).

Thanks for the note, this is solved in 0.6.0, coming soon. 

Coming soon with integrated lighting and better HDR support too:

screenshot106.png

3 minutes ago, Nertea said:

screenshot106.png

is that with TU? will I be able to use it without TU/ without making parts shiny?

3 minutes ago, Nertea said:

screenshot106.png

Yay, some form of integrated EngineLight! Will the lighting be based on plume size, thrust, or will it need to be preconfigured for each engine?

4 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

is that with TU? will I be able to use it without TU/ without making parts shiny?

TUFX isn't TU ;).

1 minute ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

Yay, some form of integrated EngineLight! Will the lighting be based on plume size, thrust, or will it need to be preconfigured for each engine?

It is an effect like any other. It needs to be built as part of the plume (not necessarily part of the engine). Personally thought that the one-size-fits-all approach of generic patches that EngineLight uses looks bad anyways and to get good effects you need to tune it for each engine anyways. 

2 minutes ago, Nertea said:

It is an effect like any other. It needs to be built as part of the plume (not necessarily part of the engine). Personally thought that the one-size-fits-all approach of generic patches that EngineLight uses looks bad anyways and to get good effects you need to tune it for each engine anyways.

So it's kinda like EngineLight, but it uses the WF lighting instead of stock?

59 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

So it's kinda like EngineLight, but it uses the WF lighting instead of stock?

It is effectively a more customizable, somewhat more performant version of engine light.

1 minute ago, RyanRising said:

So I should start playing with TUFX, huh?

TUFX already allows for some pretty spectacular shots, even with the current version of Waterfall. I'm curious how much better it can even get.

myM3rkH.png

TSgtbyr.png

Fingers crossed for more mods getting Waterfall configs--offhand, KW Rocketry Rebalanced and the B9 mods, but I'm sure there are others that could use 'em too.  LinuxGuruGamer has already said he won't be making Waterfall configs for KWR himself, but that doesn't preclude someone else making 'em.

I've come back to this thread after quite some time, and all I can really say is that I'm absolutely baffled by the quality you guys here have produced. Especially @Knight of St John with the stock patches, I'm just amazed how good they look. Speaking of them, could I perhaps get access to them? I would really like to learn more about how you managed to make them look so volumetric and just generally beatiful. Perhaps we should work together on some things as I have worked on stock engine FX for the jets and recently started work on some stock rocket engines.

Edited by HB Stratos

2 minutes ago, HB Stratos said:

I've come back to this thread after quite some time, and all I can really say is that I'm absolutely baffled by the quality you guys here have produced. Especially @Knight of St John with the stock patches, I'm just amazed how good they look. Speaking of them, could I perhaps get access to them? I would really like to learn more about how you managed to make them look so volumetric and just generally beatiful. Perhaps we should work together on some things as I have worked on stock engine FX for the jets and recently started work on some stock engines.

If I understand you correctly, the patches you’re looking for have been released and are under development here: Stock Waterfall Effects

Trying to make a Waterfall patch for the Restock RAPIER but for some reason the audio for the open cycle doesn't want to play. I copied it directly from the Restock patch for the rapier. When I remove my patch the audio works again.

Edit: never mind, I figured it out

Edited by EnderKid2

9 hours ago, HB Stratos said:

Perhaps we should work together on some things as I have worked on stock engine FX for the jets and recently started work on some stock rocket engines.

speaks in Batman voice
"I work alone"

No but seriously. It's great that you want to work on making waterfall plumes. I'm currently almost finished with the stock rocket engines, and would like to finish them myself.
I'm incorporating some of @Zorg's work too for the kerolox and hypergolic plumes.

What we don't have configs for yet is the jets. I already made a Rapier plume, but nothing yet for the whiplash or panther. So if you fancy making a plume for either one of those, be my guest. If it is good, I may very well incorporate it in my mod :-)