[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

12 hours ago, dok_377 said:

@Nertea @Knight of St John
I'm seeing some black lines over the engines with Stock Waterfall Effects. Is this Waterfall or something in the configs that needs to be tweaked? 
guZF5Bz.jpg

Update: found it. It's the refraction shader. If it's disabled, the black lines disappear. 

Can you indicate the graphical conditions this appears under? I can't reproduce it. Platform, KSP version, and post-processing mods or effects, graphics hardware, etc.

2 hours ago, HB Stratos said:

https://imgur.com/a/7T1W37k
Is it possible that two distortion FX cannot be overlayed? In the video here the top effect adds rough distortion while the lower one adds very fine distortion. However, when I enable the very fine distortion the original rough distortion gets overriden and is no longer visible. 

Correct.

12 hours ago, Nertea said:

Platform, KSP version, and post-processing mods or effects, graphics hardware, etc.

Windows 10, stock game (I removed all the mods specifically to see if that was the case), KSP version 1.10.1, GTX 1060 6G graphics card.  To be honest, I'm starting to think that it might be in the configs after all. I installed the Waterfall ReStock package to check and there's no black lines, even though the distortion effect is used as well. Maybe @Knight of St John can check if he sees this effect, but I doubt he will see it. Might be the "one guy issue". 
YEi1A6c.png

Update: strangest thing. When I turn off antialiasing, the effect disappears. Video: https://youtu.be/wExsqyRzE4Q

Edited by dok_377
Added graphical settings.

Hey guys! Such beautiful plumes make my heart flutter!

One small issue with Vessel Viewer, it shows the plume as a giant blob rendering vessel viewer useless. I am guessing because waterfall is mesh based vessel viewer can't distinguish it. Just wanted to let you guys know.

On 3/16/2021 at 2:10 AM, Nertea said:
On 3/15/2021 at 11:52 PM, HB Stratos said:

https://imgur.com/a/7T1W37k
Is it possible that two distortion FX cannot be overlayed? In the video here the top effect adds rough distortion while the lower one adds very fine distortion. However, when I enable the very fine distortion the original rough distortion gets overriden and is no longer visible. 

Correct.

is there some way to prevent this? Or is there a way to mix multiple textures into one distortion shader?

When figuring out what went wrong with something else in my logs, noticed a nullref from Waterfall - possibly from an RCS effect on one of the NearFuture (Spacecraft, I think? Can't remember precisely) RCS parts. Log here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p96anzx1nsz466g/ksplog_stagerecoveryKKjnsq.log?dl=0

Just in case it's useful!

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

6 hours ago, DanDucky said:

is there a config I can use to turn off the engine lighting? my turd of a computer can't handle it but I want to keep it on for other mods because of stock lights and such.

Change "EnableLights" from true to false in "WaterfallSettings.cfg" inside the waterfall folder. I have the same performance problem, sucks to have a 10yo laptop

On 3/17/2021 at 12:35 PM, HB Stratos said:

is there some way to prevent this? Or is there a way to mix multiple textures into one distortion shader?

Nope, not planned. 

On 3/18/2021 at 10:48 PM, AccidentalDisassembly said:

When figuring out what went wrong with something else in my logs, noticed a nullref from Waterfall - possibly from an RCS effect on one of the NearFuture (Spacecraft, I think? Can't remember precisely) RCS parts. Log here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p96anzx1nsz466g/ksplog_stagerecoveryKKjnsq.log?dl=0

Just in case it's useful!

This has to do with the light, it'll be fixed eventually.

On 3/22/2021 at 4:47 AM, dtrauma said:

I think there's a bug in the waterfall-restock config for single bell poodles. That, or my engine is leaking. k1Vby8AdBEldgElDys5hbLriKuukviOkXol4OKqr

(I don't know of that image URL is stable, if not go here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1POmxHceRdTC4bu6eyQDZN5qVhLuDPpq3/view

Need to update Restock to address this and haven't had a chance yet. 

I'm having a small problem -  the Asimov FFRE afterburning mode's "throttle" controller does not work, staying at 0 unless overwritten through the waterfall menu.  I've checked with and without PersistentThrust but that didn't affect it.

Spoiler

Non-afterburning:ZnOEUGU.pngSwitched to afterburning (still at full throttle):vpLa45X.png

Anyone else have this issue?

Edit: there's also no errors or warning or anything in the console/log.

Edited by Apelsin

22 hours ago, Apelsin said:

I'm having a small problem -  the Asimov FFRE afterburning mode's "throttle" controller does not work, staying at 0 unless overwritten through the waterfall menu.  I've checked with and without PersistentThrust but that didn't affect it.

FFT bug, need to fix there. Must have missed that in the last update.

Waterfall 0.6.3

• Improved hydrolox-lower-3 (RS-68) template (Zorg)
  • New hydrolox-upper-2 and methalox-upper-2 templates (KnightOfStJohn)
  • Fix issue when deleting effects in the editor

On 3/14/2021 at 1:41 AM, Nertea said:

I'm the team.

Is it just that one or all the blocks?

It's just the RV-105-A - each variant has a different issue of a similar ilk. Personal theory is Waterfall doesn't wanna play nice with a thruster that can change nozzle position - I worked around it by disabling the part entirely, and re-enabling the old Restock+ thrusters. Those don't have that issue, for some reason. I also found a WaterfallRestock issue with the single-engine Poodle variant where it fires an extra jet of flame effect out of the side, hotfixed by deleting the poodleSingleFX section at the very end of the config (it removes the incorrect plume, but doesn't remove the already-there correct plume).

qgEfTTq_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

Love the new lighting effects. Awesome! :D 

Also, @Nertea, do you know why my VASMIR engine from NF propulsion isn't making any waterfall plumes? :/ They're only giving off boring stock plumes :mad:

pls help, thx :) 

10 hours ago, wisdomsavingthrow said:

It's just the RV-105-A - each variant has a different issue of a similar ilk. Personal theory is Waterfall doesn't wanna play nice with a thruster that can change nozzle position - I worked around it by disabling the part entirely, and re-enabling the old Restock+ thrusters. Those don't have that issue, for some reason. I also found a WaterfallRestock issue with the single-engine Poodle variant where it fires an extra jet of flame effect out of the side, hotfixed by deleting the poodleSingleFX section at the very end of the config (it removes the incorrect plume, but doesn't remove the already-there correct plume).

I can't actually reproduce this RCS thing (the poodle thing is known). What versions of these mods are you using, with what KSP?

31 minutes ago, SpaceX_Boi said:

Love the new lighting effects. Awesome! :D 

Also, @Nertea, do you know why my VASMIR engine from NF propulsion isn't making any waterfall plumes? :/ They're only giving off boring stock plumes :mad:

pls help, thx :) 

NFP needs a fix.