[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

What's the status on the misplaced plume on the ReStock single-nozzle Poodle? I gather that it is a "known" issue, but I can't find any authoritative info on whether it is intended to be fixed, or why not.

I really love the look of the single-nozzle variant, if it wasn't for the bugged plume.

1 minute ago, Christoph Lipka said:

What's the status on the misplaced plume on the ReStock single-nozzle Poodle? I gather that it is a "known" issue, but I can't find any authoritative info on whether it is intended to be fixed, or why not.

I really love the look of the single-nozzle variant, if it wasn't for the bugged plume.

From what I recall, there's not an easy way to change plume based on part variants, and that's why there hasn't been a fix for it. It doesn't cause issues in stock, since the points where the plume comes out change & the particles aren't tightly-fitted to the engine nozzle, but with Waterfall that no longer works due to the difference between nozzle exit shapes.

Edited by Starseeker

1 minute ago, Starseeker said:

From what I recall, there's not an easy way to change plume based on part variants, and that's why there hasn't been a fix for it.

Would it be possible to provide a kind of "authoritative workaround"? Some .cfg that can simply be plonked somewhere in the GameData directory to fix the single-nozzle Poodle by sacrificing the four-nozzle variant?

I think duplicating the part, removing the variants and just leaving the double-nozzle one as one separate unique part should do the trick. You could then apply Waterfall plumes to this unique part having only one variant.

22 hours ago, Christoph Lipka said:

Would it be possible to provide a kind of "authoritative workaround"? Some .cfg that can simply be plonked somewhere in the GameData directory to fix the single-nozzle Poodle by sacrificing the four-nozzle variant?

If you wanna mess around with the Waterfall editor, you could put a single-nozzle Poodle on the launchpad, use the editor to scale & move the plume to match the new nozzle, then put those scale & position offsets into the .cfg for the poodle plume.

22 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

I think duplicating the part, removing the variants and just leaving the double-nozzle one as one separate unique part should do the trick. You could then apply Waterfall plumes to this unique part having only one variant.

Honestly, I feel like this might be the better approach; having one engine part take on such drastically different forms doesn't really make a whole lot of sense IMO. Having the quad-nozzle and single-nozzle be separate parts, but with the same stats, would solve a number of issues - though it'd also break any craft using the single-nozzle version.

1 hour ago, Starseeker said:

Honestly, I feel like this might be the better approach; having one engine part take on such drastically different forms doesn't really make a whole lot of sense IMO. Having the quad-nozzle and single-nozzle be separate parts, but with the same stats, would solve a number of issues - though it'd also break any craft using the single-nozzle version.

Kiwi Tech Tree already does this. Both the Poodle and the 'Maishi'. They both use the Poodle plume, but RealPlume instead of Waterfall...

Are there any known compatibility issues with the ULA Vulcan (Hephaistos by Superpenguin160)? Last night I had a lovely 80MB log full of Waterfall NREs. So I updated to 0.6.3 (from 0.6.1) and tried again this morning, and was able to keep it to a mere 8MB, but still lots of NREs. This is a heavily modded install and everybody's mods NRE in here, but the Waterfall ones seem to be generated like every frame or something. This was a 3-second flight to keep it to 8MB.

Log file here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VURJENsfdoVEuyb5YOpzDXKCyYu66jDb/view?usp=sharing

Any hopes?

Update: Well, happens without the Vulcan, too. New log file added from flying the LDC from BDB: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Is2bbmKj5xuSK1c7MW0jf91F4uEGkswF/view?usp=sharing

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers
what am grammar

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Are there any known compatibility issues with the ULA Vulcan (Hephaistos by Superpenguin160)? Last night I had a lovely 80MB log full of Waterfall NREs. So I updated to 0.6.3 (from 0.6.1) and tried again this morning, and was able to keep it to a mere 8MB, but still lots of NREs. This is a heavily modded install and everybody's mods NRE in here, but the Waterfall ones seem to be generated like every frame or something. This was a 3-second flight to keep it to 8MB.

Log file here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VURJENsfdoVEuyb5YOpzDXKCyYu66jDb/view?usp=sharing

Any hopes?

Update: Well, happens without the Vulcan, too. New log file added from flying the LDC from BDB: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Is2bbmKj5xuSK1c7MW0jf91F4uEGkswF/view?usp=sharing

Considering that these errors do not occur without BDB, I suggest raising in the BDB thread, which provides the configuration. 

8 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Considering that these errors do not occur without BDB, I suggest raising in the BDB thread, which provides the configuration. 

Honestly, I don't think they'll even consider my situation over there. The Vulcan is not theirs, and there are no waterfall configs for it. The LDC I flew had 2 SRBs and an engine from your CryoEngines, so they'll just say "not our configs."

3 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Honestly, I don't think they'll even consider my situation over there. The Vulcan is not theirs, and there are no waterfall configs for it. The LDC I flew had 2 SRBs and an engine from your CryoEngines, so they'll just say "not our configs."

Well zorg, (one of the BDB developers and the maintainer of Realplume) also made the CE templates. And the BDB ones.  It wouldn't hurt to ask.

8 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

Playing on 1.8.1,  plumes are disappearing behind atmospheres. Any idea what could be causing this?

8167Rts.png

BwH0QZO.pngUEqtjgv.png

I haven't had any problems in 1.8.1 

1 hour ago, alberro+ said:

Playing on 1.8.1,  plumes are disappearing behind atmospheres. Any idea what could be causing this?

8167Rts.png

BwH0QZO.pngUEqtjgv.png

Upgrade your scatterer and waterfall versions.

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Well you said LDC from BDB so I figured that was it. Can you indicate to me exactly what engines are the cause, provide a full load list and modulemanager cache?

Edited by Nertea

22 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Can you indicate to me exactly what engines are the cause, provide a full load list and modulemanager cache?

Yep! I sure appreciate any help because I'm kinda dead in the water at the moment ...

Here's a link to a folder that has a picture, the log file, and the MM cache file (zipped bc 19mb). The engine is the Allosaur. These files focus on just the one case. I don't know what a "load list" is ... but just in case you meant a full mod list, I extracted the one from the log file into mods.txt in that folder. If you needed something else just let me know and I'll find it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1or56boPNM_hC6qyqR08cE4yxD_T8pRDx?usp=sharing

Thanks!!

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

20 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Yep! I sure appreciate any help because I'm kinda dead in the water at the moment ...

Here's a link to a folder that has a picture, the log file, and the MM cache file (zipped bc 19mb). The engine is the Allosaur. These files focus on just the one case. I don't know what a "load list" is ... but just in case you meant a full mod list, I extracted the one from the log file into mods.txt in that folder. If you needed something else just let me know and I'll find it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1or56boPNM_hC6qyqR08cE4yxD_T8pRDx?usp=sharing

Thanks!!

All the Allosaur's effects are loading correctly? Are you certain it's this engine, as tested with only that engine? That vessel you have a screenshot of has quite a few different engines on it. 

7 minutes ago, Nertea said:

All the Allosaur's effects are loading correctly? Are you certain it's this engine, as tested with only that engine? That vessel you have a screenshot of has quite a few different engines on it. 

Yep, all of the visuals seem fine. There are def other engines on the vessel. I was guessing that engines that never get activated wouldn't cause NREs? This flight was only a few seconds long and only activated the SRBs and the Allosaur. Is the full collection of engines, activated or not, significant?

What would give you the most interesting results from where I am now? Individual engine tests?

1 minute ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Yep, all of the visuals seem fine. There are def other engines on the vessel. I was guessing that engines that never get activated wouldn't cause NREs? This flight was only a few seconds long and only activated the SRBs and the Allosaur. Is the full collection of engines, activated or not, significant?

What would give you the most interesting results from where I am now? Individual engine tests?

Misconfiguration doesn't necessarily care what engine is on or not, yeah. You should narrow down which engine is causing the issue, and see what mod it is from. This should be as simple as putting the engine on the pad and observing the issue

Slight interaction issue between the latest Scatterer (v.0.770) and (i think) Waterfall shaders:

uJ7tBSK.png

ny3nogi.png

1ig6bZM.png

I was testing my latest released modified "IXS warsphip for Blueshift", that alike the parent mod "Blueshift" by @Angel-125 make heavily use of Waterfall to create the warp distorsion, and once added scatterer (just to testing purpose), I got these weird effects, when the "warp field" is not active.

Basically it seems that the models used for "shape" the effects are not really "transparent" to Scatterer's graphic effects.

ciD7u7V.png
Very evident in this image how, basically, it reverts all the lightning and surface modification to stock situation: the sea back to its standard stock dullness, compared to the different one visible "outside" the bubble.

nHL6I2h.png

Also visible (from "inside" the bubble created using Waterfll) how all the sky effects are basically deleted, and, if paying attention, how also are noticeable the shapes (from the ship) that supports the "warping plumes" when they are active.

This also happens in space, for any Scatterer related effects:
A very zoomed out view (in which are very noriceable the Sun light halo and lens flares)...

WCXhZRJ.png

... became very "dull" from the "inside" of the bubble itself.

A0QpNNc.png

(This issue is also been communicated to Scattererl author, not sure about who has the better chances to resolve it)

Edited by Araym

I have put the mod in my GameData folder, but no plumes are changed. Do i need some other mod to make this work, or have i put it in the wrong place? Also: when i play the game it dossen't show that any mod is used.

6 hours ago, Maggnum said:

I can't find one of these configs that the mod says i need. can anyone help me?

If you read the front page you'll see this at the bottom:

On 8/14/2020 at 7:04 PM, Nertea said:

Supported Mods

You need configuration packs for this to do anything. Currently there are only one; other mods will likely ship configs for this. If you release a mod that supports Waterfall you can let me know and I'll add it here.